White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If you read the article posted you'd notice the author essentially agrees with you, saying that small differences are highly subjective (are the Cubs really #10 and Astros #11?) but that doesn't mean there aren't some CLEAR divisions in terms of talent pool and the Sox are still, sadly, lagging well behind the league. Nobody in their right mind would look at the talent the Rays have acquired and developed, for instance, and compare them to the White Sox's farm system and think it's still a coin flip between which system will pump out better players over the next 5-10 years.

But obviously the celebration in this thread is a bit in jest. The Sox farm system is still horrendously barren, and it is no comfort that the teams immediately surrounding us have recently had their systems depleted by graduations or big splash "win-now" trades that have worked and produced results at the MLB level. We're, unfortunately, devoid of talent all over the place.
I skipped over the body and just looked at the rankings to see how silly they looked.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,931
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I skipped over the body and just looked at the rankings to see how silly they looked.
Well I'm sure your obviously much superior overall minor league system rankings will also be published by a nationally respected blog community any day now.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well I'm sure your obviously much superior overall minor league system rankings will also be published by a nationally respected blog community any day now.
I ignore the minor leagues. The games aren't televised and even if they were, I would be too busy to watch enough of them to form an opinion. I don't rely on stat lines to tell who is good and who isn't, that is only part of the picture.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 AM
CoopaLoop CoopaLoop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 1,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Well,the fact that so many crappy MLB teams have top-flight farm systems (according to this link) tells me how valid it is rating minor leaguers.
lol three out of the top four are all playoff contenders.

And the Pirates are coming along pretty nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,931
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I ignore the minor leagues. The games aren't televised and even if they were, I would be too busy to watch enough of them to form an opinion. I don't rely on stat lines to tell who is good and who isn't, that is only part of the picture.
You "ignore the minor leagues" yet account for over 30% of the posts in this thread.

Awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Ask Gordon Beckham how well it works when you get rushed to the Show.
I will.....right after you ask Bryce Harper and Chris Sale.

"Rushing players" is and will always continue to be an invalid argument...
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,931
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I will.....right after you ask Bryce Harper and Chris Sale.

"Rushing players" is and will always continue to be an invalid argument...
The term "rushing" players doesn't have anything to do with time, it's based on a player's physical and mental ability to survive at the next level. Harper (who, by the way, has 2x the MiLB service time of Beckham) and Sale clearly could make it and were advance appropriately. But if your argument is that there's no such thing as moving players too quickly in the minors, well, that's 100% wrong, I don't know how to sugar coat it for you.

At any rate, the answer was to why the Red Sox, with a nice stable of lower level talent, would hesitate to call up a guy from A-ball to fill in in the Major Leagues.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The term "rushing" players doesn't have anything to do with time, it's based on a player's physical and mental ability to survive at the next level. Harper (who, by the way, has 2x the MiLB service time of Beckham) and Sale clearly could make it and were advance appropriately. But if your argument is that there's no such thing as moving players too quickly in the minors, well, that's 100% wrong, I don't know how to sugar coat it for you.
So if the person in charge of player development and GM of a baseball team think a player is ready for the major leagues, that's not good enough for you? At the time of Beckham's promotion he was hitting AAA pitching hard and really didn't have anything left to prove.

My point is that every individual player reacts differently to a major league promotion, whether they had 100 at bats in the minors or 1000. To say a player was "rushed" because they aren't hitting in the majors is a knee-jerk statement in my opinion.

It may just be that Beckham isn't a good hitter and no amount of minor league seasoning or major league coaching can change that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 AM
SoxNation05 SoxNation05 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Palos Park
Posts: 1,713
Default

Can anyone give me an explanation as to why Simon Castro is still highly regarded?

At one point he was one of SD's best pitching prospects but it seems he has fallen since then. Yes, I know our system is so weak and a high rating in our system is not much but even relative to prospects in our system I cannot see why he has been rated as high as #3 overall! He's 25 years old, he cannot keep anyone off the basepaths and secondary stuff is severely lacking. Can anyone counter an arguement to make a case for Castro?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You "ignore the minor leagues" yet account for over 30% of the posts in this thread.

Awesome.
I'm not ignoring you, that's why. Have I weighed in with an opinion about specific players in the White Sox or another team's system? Nope. In fact, I can't recall having done so except maybe once or twice over the years.

I just sit back, strap it down and wait for the call ups.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,903
Default

The good news is if the most important thing to be successful is to have your farm system ranked high, the Tigers are in bigger trouble than the Sox.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
The good news is if the most important thing to be successful is to have your farm system ranked high, the Tigers are in bigger trouble than the Sox.
Only if free agency is banned.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,195
Default

So we can't talk about team strengths or possible finishes relative to each other until the games are played.

We shouldn't talk about the strength of minor league systems until prospects are called up.

Should we, in fact, talk about anything that may happen in the future?
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,742
Default

The problem with those ratings is that most of the highest rated prospects are in the lower levels of the league and there really is no way to anticipate other stuff happening. The guys in AA and AAA are important to help out in case of injuries at the Major League level. That said, I am glad we jumped up to 28. We've been okay with pitchers so far.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
So we can't talk about team strengths or possible finishes relative to each other until the games are played.

We shouldn't talk about the strength of minor league systems until prospects are called up.

Should we, in fact, talk about anything that may happen in the future?
No, you can speculate and talk all you want. I just don't have the time or inclination to study minor league players who have, at best, a 3% chance of playing in The Show. That's all.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.