White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM
MMXXIII

Default Update: RYAN BRAUN added to A-Rod, Gio, Cruz, Melky, Colon, etc. implicated for PEDs

In a Miami clinic's records...

http://deadspin.com/5979819/?utm_cam...ium=socialflow

Last edited by doublem23; 01-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think there is any story that can come out that says "Player X linked to PEDs" that would shock me anymore.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
WSI Prelate

A-Rod isn't particularly surprising. Doctors were saying his hip injuries might have been linked to steroid use. I saw on Twitter that the Yankees might try and get the contract voided somehow.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I don't think there is any story that can come out that says "Player X linked to PEDs" that would shock me anymore.
Yeah, I'm pretty much at the OKAY EVERYONE IS USING WHATEVER point now.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

A-Rod has said numerous times that his steroid use could be limited to 2001-2003 and that is obviously not the case.

I remember watching Gio throw in ST in 2007 at Ho Ho Kam against the Cubs and I knew this kid would be good. He had a certain prescense on the mound out there, he knew how to change speeds but I definitely had doubt with his size considering how short and skinny he was. Apparently Gio and his camp had the same thought process. Sucks to see a guy that I watched develop and really rooted for suceed only to get his production overshadowed by steroid allegations.

Jon Heyman tweeted that there does not need to be a positive test in order to file a suspension. It is likely that a full investigation takes place and suspensions are handed out.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty much at the OKAY EVERYONE IS USING WHATEVER point now.
I do not know about that. You can definitely see the numbers fall after the isolated years that have been considered the "steroid era." While I will not be surprised if any player shows up in rumors or tests positive, there has definitely been an improvement on the overall landscape of PEDs in the MLB.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
WSI Prelate

I wonder if the Blue Jays can void Cabrera's contract now. If there are suspensions handed down his should be for the whole season.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Everybody's All-American

Just got an ESPN alert on this. Did Deadspin beat them to the punch again?

EDIT: never mind. A Miami newspaper I believe reported this first.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I wonder if the Blue Jays can void Cabrera's contract now. If there are suspensions handed down his should be for the whole season.
Interesting. Cabrera's suspension from last August is probably from the substances he obtained from this lab. Would that not be the same as punishing him twice?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Guru

Maybe the Gio deals Kenny pulled off won't turn out to be so bad after all. Especially if Gio in fact is suspended for using them.

Lip
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Maybe the Gio deals Kenny pulled off won't turn out to be so bad after all. Especially if Gio in fact is suspended for using them.

Lip
Ken Rosenthal was just on MLB Network and mentioned that what Gio was acquiring was anti-aging stuff which would support what Gio's father said which was that he had the connection to the dealer in Miami and Gio just paid for it. ARod and Melky Cabrera are linked to HGH and testosterone amongst other things.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
A-Rod isn't particularly surprising. Doctors were saying his hip injuries might have been linked to steroid use. I saw on Twitter that the Yankees might try and get the contract voided somehow.
The Yankees get what they deserve. They gave him a $3.5M a year raise when he opted out of his contract and they were bidding against no one.

I would have liked to have seen them go after Jason Giambi when he finally came clean. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that you can argue fraud when you give a player a 7/$125M deal (or whatever it was) based on previous performance that was a result of PED use.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal was just on MLB Network and mentioned that what Gio was acquiring was anti-aging stuff which would support what Gio's father said which was that he had the connection to the dealer in Miami and Gio just paid for it. ARod and Melky Cabrera are linked to HGH and testosterone amongst other things.
This could be true, as Gio's denial (on Twitter) leaves this possibility open. But... Gio also referred to "Anthony Bosch" as "tony" in the same set of Tweets. Weird, considering most articles - and headlines - refer to him as "Anthony".

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Apparently the stuff the clinic was selling is not on baseball's list of banned substances.

Still, it's dumb that this guy kept records on selling PEDs to pro ball players.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides