White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
This was assuming Beckham and Sanchez split 2B when a LHP occurs.

Keppinger plays well above avg defense at 3B, I wouldn't move him.
He really doesn't. He did last year in limited action, but across his career he's been horrible defensively at every infield position. He's been good in the outfield.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Prelate

I'll agree with Blandman overall....I don't have a reasonable expectation of the Sox competing. We competed last year, but fell short, and we needed Detroit to underperform to compete. They improved, we didn't. The Royals also improved. WE have a couple of players who could improve, but more who have a similar probability of regression. Looks like a .500 team. The glimmer of hope I have is that the pitching is above average, and that's the best strength to have.

Aside from our impotent farm system, we basically gave away Edwin Jackson at the deadline and Carlos Quentin in the offseason. We honed in on a couple of AAA pitchers who had slight off seasons as our prospects. They continued their slides with us. These are good players whom we really couldn't afford to give away. Could we have snuck in last year with Quentin/Viciedo as our LF/Bench bat (of which we had absolutely none)? Probably.

Thus, I hope we make a move. Either get a bat or get some young talent in here.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
WSI High Priest

I understand and agree the need of a left handed bat. What I dont understand is where this left handed bat will play. If a deal could be made trading Viciedo for that left handed bat, that would make the most sense. Trading pitching for that left handed bat would have to produce a player that could play 3rd or 2nd. That is very difficult to find but if this would happen it would make Beckham the utility infielder which makes sense. Outside of these possibilities a left handed bat would be a DH (Thome, Hafner type). In order to get this bat in the lineup, Dunn would have to play LF, with Viciedo on bench or 1st, with Paul on bench. I really dont think that will help the club.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
WSI Guru

Noneck:

Which is why if you can get a hitter who is better than anybody you have, you make the deal regardless of what side he hits from.

Lip
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree Lip.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
WSI Personality

When is the last time the White Sox have gone an entire offseason without making a trade?

Not saying they couldn't still make something happen but...it's getting doubtful.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Impossible Dream

With John Danks coming back and signing Keppinger, I don't see why the White Sox won't get into the Playoffs in 2013. If we don't have any serious injuries from our team and everybody performs like they can it should be a great season on the Southside of Chicago.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
With John Danks coming back and signing Keppinger, I don't see why the White Sox won't get into the Playoffs in 2013. If we don't have any serious injuries from our team and everybody performs like they can it should be a great season on the Southside of Chicago.
What brand Kool-Aid do you drink?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think you are on to something. A healthy and effective Danks would give the Sox a very powerful rotation. And after a year's experience in 2012, this bullpen could be lights out, too.

Might the Sox need to tweak the offense with perhaps an upgrade at catcher? That is a possibility but as the Sox showed in 2012 with the Youkilis deal, that could be done on the fly during the season if necessary.

I am looking forward to the 2013 Sox.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Mercy!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
What brand Kool-Aid do you drink?

I drink silver and black kool aid.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
People keep acting like the Tigers don't have 6 impact bats in their lineup, 2 being two of the best in all of baseball, and a much better pitching staff.
NOBODY is doing that. Everybody is acknowledging that on paper, the Tigers have a better team. But games aren't played on paper. The Sox have a tremendous advantage both defensively and in the bullpen, and that counts for something too. Tyler Flowers has never started at the MLB level, and there's a chance--maybe not a high one, but a chance--that he might perform well with consistent playing time. Dayan Viciedo is 22 years old. He *might* get better. Maybe he won't, but nobody--including you--has any way of knowing that. Hell, there's a chance he might have a breakout year and hit .280 with 40 HRs. I'm not saying i'm holding my breath on it. But it CAN happen. Did anyone think Jose Bautista was going to do that?

Its so aggravating to read this crap because nobody has a clue. All we can do is speculate, and even the "experts" are limited to educated guesses. So to come in here spewing nonsense about how the Sox have no chance and Sale is going to get hurt and overall we shouldn't even bother with this team...I mean, what can you even say to that? It's sad.

There are so many variables at play in each and every game, and when you project those out for a full season...there are tons of possibilities. You don't know anything, just like the experts don't know anything, just like I don't know anything, etc. We can guess, but that's it. But you present your guesses as absolute fact, and that pisses people off.

Finally--this was supposed to be a thread about White Sox trade possibilities. Wow.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
NOBODY is doing that.
It looks like Goldensox is.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
NOBODY is doing that. Everybody is acknowledging that on paper, the Tigers have a better team. But games aren't played on paper. The Sox have a tremendous advantage both defensively and in the bullpen, and that counts for something too. Tyler Flowers has never started at the MLB level, and there's a chance--maybe not a high one, but a chance--that he might perform well with consistent playing time. Dayan Viciedo is 22 years old. He *might* get better. Maybe he won't, but nobody--including you--has any way of knowing that. Hell, there's a chance he might have a breakout year and hit .280 with 40 HRs. I'm not saying i'm holding my breath on it. But it CAN happen. Did anyone think Jose Bautista was going to do that?

Its so aggravating to read this crap because nobody has a clue. All we can do is speculate, and even the "experts" are limited to educated guesses. So to come in here spewing nonsense about how the Sox have no chance and Sale is going to get hurt and overall we shouldn't even bother with this team...I mean, what can you even say to that? It's sad.

There are so many variables at play in each and every game, and when you project those out for a full season...there are tons of possibilities. You don't know anything, just like the experts don't know anything, just like I don't know anything, etc. We can guess, but that's it. But you present your guesses as absolute fact, and that pisses people off.

Finally--this was supposed to be a thread about White Sox trade possibilities. Wow.
Yes. I think Dayan and Sale have potentially high ceiling for their production this year, given their youth. Will be moving into peak seasons if not this year then soon. Andf Danks comes back near career norms... then 2013 Sox > 2012 by about 8-10 games. Dunn will be the big unknown and potentially drag the ship down if he does what he Dunn in the past. Also look for Quintana to improve upon his groundwork of 2012. Yes would love to get another bat like Melton/glove of Crede at 3rd, or Iguchi glove/Orta bat at 2nd but maybe Gordon will surprise. GO GO WHITE SOX
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
It looks like Goldensox is.
No (s)he's not. Goldensox said nothing about the Tigers. If the Tigers when the AL Central, the Sox still have two more chances to make the playoffs.