White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM
BigKlu59 BigKlu59 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 1,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Agree, PK went through hell last year with the bad wrist, getting hit in the eye by that idiot from the north side and then the concussion.
I'm OK with him or Rios batting 3rd but please no more of Dunn batting 3rd.
Amen Brother Nell.... Preach on... Robin's worried about K's. Um, who's the biggest Kelvinator with streamers in the store..

BK59
__________________
Big Klu says... "When you step in the box you go to war"..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
At least now you are admitting he was hurt, something you absolutely refused to do earlier. You did seem impressed the Tiger spent a lot of money on 37 year old Torii Hunter. Do you even realize your post contradicted what you post earlier about Konerko not be hurt? Now you say he has chronic wrist issues. How can anyone take you seriously?
I don't believe his wrist issues affected him as much as people make them out to.

If they did, that's also part of the same problem. Aging sluggers don't age well because their bodies can't cope.

Torii Hunter is not even close to a good example of a similar player, and if Torii Hunter doesn't play a game this season, it wouldn't have the same effect on the Tigers as Konerko not having an MVP season would have on our roster.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
34rancher 34rancher is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Robin according to the Tribune, told the fans at Sox-Fest today that strikeouts were an issue last season, simply to many. It's now a point of emphasis in the spring to make contact as much as possible.

Now whether or not some of these "hitters" can actually do something other than try to pull the ball for an 800 foot home run remains to be seen but I like the fact that Robin recognizes the problem and is going to have him and his staff work on it.

Lip
But how can that be? It was preached around here how strikeouts are not that bad. I would argue its when and where the k happens along with frequency. Just can't have a 3 hitter on pace to set MLB records for k's and hope to win too many games. Nell and I both last year begged to get Alex in the 3 hole. IMO it cost us a legit shot at division leaving him there. I hope this year we get contact hitting, especially with RISP.
__________________
I named my bulldog DH because he's lazy.
-Ozzie
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Robin according to the Tribune, told the fans at Sox-Fest today that strikeouts were an issue last season, simply to many. It's now a point of emphasis in the spring to make contact as much as possible.

Now whether or not some of these "hitters" can actually do something other than try to pull the ball for an 800 foot home run remains to be seen but I like the fact that Robin recognizes the problem and is going to have him and his staff work on it.

Lip
With the addition of Flowers I think strike outs are only going to be more of a problem. There might be 400 strikeouts between him and Dunn alone.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
...it wouldn't have the same effect on the Tigers as Konerko not having an MVP season would have on our roster.
I guess we're screwed then, because 2010, maayybee 2006, was the only season Konerko came close to an MVP caliber season.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,643
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
With the addition of Flowers I think strike outs are only going to be more of a problem. There might be 400 strikeouts between him and Dunn alone.
Don't forget about Viciedo and Beckham...
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I guess we're screwed then, because 2010, maayybee 2006, was the only season Konerko came close to an MVP caliber season.
Pretty much. It isn't overly negative to understand how important that kind of a season from Konerko would be to our roster. We don't really have anyone else capable.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,935
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
With the addition of Flowers I think strike outs are only going to be more of a problem. There might be 400 strikeouts between him and Dunn alone.
Absolutely, strikeouts are the single worst thing in the world, definitely explains why 2 teams that made the playoffs had more K than the Sox, and the three teams that K'd the fewest times in the AL last year were the bottom feeders of the division.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Absolutely, strikeouts are the single worst thing in the world, definitely explains why 2 teams that made the playoffs had more K than the Sox, and the three teams that K'd the fewest times in the AL last year were the bottom feeders of the division.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but given that Dunn and Flowers (as far as we know) don't offer much of anything other than some pop (which, as we've seen, is far from a sure thing), them striking out 400 times is a bit of an issue.
__________________
Obligatory Attendance Record:
3-3
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Absolutely, strikeouts are the single worst thing in the world, definitely explains why 2 teams that made the playoffs had more K than the Sox, and the three teams that K'd the fewest times in the AL last year were the bottom feeders of the division.
No you're right, strikeouts don't matter. When we have runners at second and third with one out I don't want to see guys shorten up their swing like Konkero does. I want them to hit an 800 foot home run. In fact, that's all I want to see from guys. Situation be damned! SWING HARD BABY! SWING HARD! **** your .180 batting average in high leverage situations or a .204 average with runners in scoring position, HOME RUNS! AMIRITE?!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,935
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post

No you're right, strikeouts don't matter. When we have runners at second and third with one out I don't want to see guys shorten up their swing like Konkero does. I want them to hit an 800 foot home run. In fact, that's all I want to see from guys. Situation be damned! SWING HARD BABY! SWING HARD! **** your .180 batting average in high leverage situations or a .204 average with runners in scoring position, HOME RUNS! AMIRITE?!
There is a better correlation between HR and success than strikeouts and lack of success, but I'm sure those numbers can't be correct because sarcasm and gut feelings are more CHICAGO TUUUUUFFFFF than nerdy math!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Considering that everything I've heard about Keppinger suggests that he'll be batting in the 2-hole, I'll agree to disagree.


Robin has said he would like Keppy hitting down in the order to break up the low ob%
__________________
"C'mon Timo!"
World series Champs 99-63 (11-1) GO GO White Sox
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
There is a better correlation between HR and success than strikeouts and lack of success, but I'm sure those numbers can't be correct because sarcasm and gut feelings are more CHICAGO TUUUUUFFFFF than nerdy math!
Haha...yeah I don't get why people hate strikeouts so much. Usually it's the same people who claim it isn't a big deal when pitchers rack up a ton of them.

Strikeouts aren't a big deal if you're still productive. In some instances, they are the better option (instead of going up there just trying to poke the ball in play, which can lead to a double play). Sure, they're also the worst option in some cases, but really how bad a strikeout is versus any other out is at least situation specific.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Robin has said he would like Keppy hitting down in the order to break up the low ob%
orly?
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Robin has said he would like Keppy hitting down in the order to break up the low ob%
Robin has said nothing of the sort. The only reference to this was from an article from ESPN Chicago where Doug Padilla said Keppinger COULD be asked to bat 6th or 7th. Nothing from Robin's mouth.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit.../robin-ventura
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.