White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
He had thumb and wrist injuries that nagged him throughout all of 2008 when everyone was saying he was washed up. The next year he hit 28 homers and then the year after that he was an MVP candidate.
He was also 32 and 33 those years not 37. We dont know but we soon shall see.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
He had thumb and wrist injuries that nagged him throughout all of 2008 when everyone was saying he was washed up. The next year he hit 28 homers and then the year after that he was an MVP candidate.
He was still alright that year though. Lower numbers, but the big reason people thought he was regressing was because 2007 was also down from before and he was SO good the years prior. Take a look at his monthly splits from last year. They are...troubling...to say the least. Especially when you like at how high his Babip was in the down months.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He was still alright that year though. Lower numbers, but the big reason people thought he was regressing was because 2007 was also down from before and he was SO good the years prior. Take a look at his monthly splits from last year. They are...troubling...to say the least. Especially when you like at how high his Babip was in the down months.
His numbers started going down right after he had the procedure done on his wrist which was, I believe, the series after the first Cubs series.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And I didn't believe him. He's never been an excuse maker.
If you blame injuries publicly, you're making excuses and some will label you a whiner. If you take the high road and say the injuries weren't a factor, there are some who will say the injuries weren't a factor. You're a hitter who has work done on his wrist mid-season. You miss time after being hit in the face with a pitch and later miss time because of a concussion. If you don't blame injuries for your hitting slumps, it's becuase you hve too much class to do so.

Still, when Konerko was flirting with .400, Dunn was the worst hitter with runners in scoring postion on the team. At the end of the seson, Dunn was the worst hitter with runners in scoring position on the team. It wasn't as if when Konerko was struggling, pitchers started to pitch around Dunn because he lacked protection in the lineup. Pitchers actually started getting him out more frequently.

Hit Dunn in front of Beckham and Dunn is likely to get on base more frequently.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 AM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He publicly stated it wasn't bothering him guys.
At the time he had his procedure done he was hitting .366 with a 1.074 OPS. After, not so good, and then he had another procedure after the season to total clean it up. If you ever paid attention to Hawk, the wrist was always an issue, but again, don't let facts get away from your doom and gloom.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,227
Default

PK was the best hitter in baseball the first two months,and then suddenly he is done? Ridiculous. Any objective observer knows the injuries caused his decline.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
At the time he had his procedure done he was hitting .366 with a 1.074 OPS. After, not so good, and then he had another procedure after the season to total clean it up. If you ever paid attention to Hawk, the wrist was always an issue, but again, don't let facts get away from your doom and gloom.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
PK was the best hitter in baseball the first two months,and then suddenly he is done? Ridiculous. Any objective observer knows the injuries caused his decline.
In general, age is not a steady decline either for sluggers. One day you're just not quick enough with the bat.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
In general, age is not a steady decline either for sluggers. One day you're just not quick enough with the bat.
OK he wasn't hurt. Disregard 2 procedures. They didn't happen. He just got old.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
OK he wasn't hurt. Disregard 2 procedures. They didn't happen. He just got old.
1. He played
2. The second "procedure" was an inpatient procedure lots of people get for not serious issues.
3. We don't know, but let's face it. Even if he's not "done" from age, he's certainly constantly dealing with injuries from age. There's not a lot of difference in production.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
1. He played
2. The second "procedure" was an inpatient procedure lots of people get for not serious issues.
3. We don't know, but let's face it. Even if he's not "done" from age, he's certainly constantly dealing with injuries from age. There's not a lot of difference in production.
He got that procedure done, to wash it out, because they didn't know how long he would need to recover with the surgury. He had the surgery the day after the season ended. If he wasn't hurt, and wasn't concerned about recovery time he wouldn't have needed the surgery and wouldn't have had it right away. But that would give someone optimism that Paulie could put up a nice season, and since he's wearing a White Sox uniform and not a Tigers or Royals, in your mind there is no chance for that. Your posts remind me of Glum from the Gulliver cartoons.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,862
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
PK was the best hitter in baseball the first two months,and then suddenly he is done? Ridiculous. Any objective observer knows the injuries caused his decline.
Agree, PK went through hell last year with the bad wrist, getting hit in the eye by that idiot from the north side and then the concussion.
I'm OK with him or Rios batting 3rd but please no more of Dunn batting 3rd.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
He got that procedure done, to wash it out, because they didn't know how long he would need to recover with the surgury. He had the surgery the day after the season ended. If he wasn't hurt, and wasn't concerned about recovery time he wouldn't have needed the surgery and wouldn't have had it right away. But that would give someone optimism that Paulie could put up a nice season, and since he's wearing a White Sox uniform and not a Tigers or Royals, in your mind there is no chance for that. Your posts remind me of Glum from the Gulliver cartoons.
I really don't appreciate the personal attacks. There's no basis for this. Show me the 37 year old aging slugger on either roster with chronic wrist issues I'm talking up.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I really don't appreciate the personal attacks. There's no basis for this. Show me the 37 year old aging slugger on either roster with chronic wrist issues I'm talking up.
At least now you are admitting he was hurt, something you absolutely refused to do earlier. You did seem impressed the Tiger spent a lot of money on 37 year old Torii Hunter. Do you even realize your post contradicted what you post earlier about Konerko not be hurt? Now you say he has chronic wrist issues. How can anyone take you seriously?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Robin according to the Tribune, told the fans at Sox-Fest today that strikeouts were an issue last season, simply to many. It's now a point of emphasis in the spring to make contact as much as possible.

Now whether or not some of these "hitters" can actually do something other than try to pull the ball for an 800 foot home run remains to be seen but I like the fact that Robin recognizes the problem and is going to have him and his staff work on it.

Lip
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.