White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Konerko's slide last year began in late May as well. His BA hit its season high on May 27 at .399 and his slide began pretty rapidly after that.

Yeah for all intents and purposes he was really bad for most of the year last year. And it wasn't from injuries. I love Paulie, but the logical assessment is he's done. At least this is the last year we have him under contract.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah for all intents and purposes he was really bad for most of the year last year. And it wasn't from injuries. I love Paulie, but the logical assessment is he's done. At least this is the last year we have him under contract.
And you know this how?

edit to add: He got hit in the head in the Cubs series and missed 2 games in the middle of May and then at the beginning of June missed 3 games due to the wrist, which was right around the time when his decline started to happen. So while publicly he may have said the wrist wasn't an issue, the stats say the opposite.

Last edited by kobo; 01-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah for all intents and purposes he was really bad for most of the year last year. And it wasn't from injuries. I love Paulie, but the logical assessment is he's done. At least this is the last year we have him under contract.
Not from injuries? The guy had 2 procedures on his wrist, not to mention he was hitting almost .400 on Memorial Day.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
And you know this how?

edit to add: He got hit in the head in the Cubs series and missed 2 games in the middle of May and then at the beginning of June missed 3 games due to the wrist, which was right around the time when his decline started to happen. So while publicly he may have said the wrist wasn't an issue, the stats say the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Not from injuries? The guy had 2 procedures on his wrist, not to mention he was hitting almost .400 on Memorial Day.
He publicly stated it wasn't bothering him guys.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He publicly stated it wasn't bothering him guys.
So?
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,212
Default

I dont know if Paul is done or not but I do know that one day everyone becomes old. Maybe his punch n judy style of hitting is because he is on his way out or because of injuries. We will find out early this year and its not a big deal, its the last year of his contract and the Sox have no other choice this year.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He publicly stated it wasn't bothering him guys.
And I didn't believe him. He's never been an excuse maker.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
So?

Well I never looked at it that way!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And I didn't believe him. He's never been an excuse maker.
Eh...he's never really had much to make excuses for before. After his first couple of seasons, he's been as consistent a player as there was in the league. If he never complained, part of it might be that there was never a reason to point fingers at him.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I dont know if Paul is done or not but I do know that one day everyone becomes old. Maybe his punch n judy style of hitting is because he is on his way out or because of injuries. We will find out early this year and its not a big deal, its the last year of his contract and the Sox have no other choice this year.
Yeah, the contract is the big thing. At least its not a Dunn situation where we have to play him because of his years left on contract (though that didn't hurt us last year, just an example).
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,766
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He publicly stated it wasn't bothering him guys.
Yeah, because athletes ALWAYS tell the truth about injuries affecting them...
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,766
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah for all intents and purposes he was really bad for most of the year last year. And it wasn't from injuries. I love Paulie, but the logical assessment is he's done. At least this is the last year we have him under contract.
Yeah, your assessments generally ring true:

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Yeah, your assessments generally ring true:

He's still got a long way to go!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,256
Default

A **** sandwich is still a **** sandwich no matter which way you stack it.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Eh...he's never really had much to make excuses for before. After his first couple of seasons, he's been as consistent a player as there was in the league. If he never complained, part of it might be that there was never a reason to point fingers at him.
He had thumb and wrist injuries that nagged him throughout all of 2008 when everyone was saying he was washed up. The next year he hit 28 homers and then the year after that he was an MVP candidate.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.