White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
I would even go as far as saying its not that "pie-in-the-sky" that he will be above average at his position.
Eh, through 535 career games and 2,067 plate appearances, Beckham's career slash line is .245/.312/.382 but what's most concerning is that his production has progessively gotten worse every season except for his uptick and slight improvement in BB and K rates. Granted, he's only going to be 26 years old for the majority of this season so there's still some hope he can grow a bit, but once you're talking about a guy with over 2,000 PA in the Majors, what you see is generally what you get.

He's a good defender who plays a position you don't historically get a lot of offense from so he has some value, but I don't think we're looking at a guy who will ever be anything more than a #9 hitter on a team with any kind of championship aspirations.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Far from the same thing, I quoted others on the board who swiftly defended me. That arguement was over anyways. You are going back in the thread and trying to find something to stick to someone and you are just making yourself look weak. I like Beckham, as you supposedly do too, I think he plays the game the right way, he has a good attitude, he cares, he can pick it but he just cannot get his mechanics together. IMO, if he bumps his AVG up 20-30 points and stops disapearing in the 7-8-9 innings he could be a valuable player. Considering his BABIP is .250, his AVG going up is not far fetched at all.
Please. I'm not putting words in your mouth. You said get his swing back. Those were your words, not mine. Not made up. Considering he's been consistently the same every year except one year, it's obvious what year you were referring too. If you're going to sit here and lie about it, we don't have anything to discuss.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Eh, through 535 career games and 2,067 plate appearances, Beckham's career slash line is .245/.312/.382 but what's most concerning is that his production has progessively gotten worse every season except for his uptick and slight improvement in BB and K rates. Granted, he's only going to be 26 years old for the majority of this season so there's still some hope he can grow a bit, but once you're talking about a guy with over 2,000 PA in the Majors, what you see is generally what you get.
The word "journeyman" comes to mind. He's got a place in this league, and he'll stick around. But don't expect too much more.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Please. I'm not putting words in your mouth. You said get his swing back. Those were your words, not mine. Not made up. Considering he's been consistently the same every year except one year, it's obvious what year you were referring too. If you're going to sit here and lie about it, we don't have anything to discuss.
How am I lieing? You accused me of saying he was going to break out, which I said nowhere. So quickly after your accusation two other posters came to my defense before I even saw your post. That is 3 against 1. I know you have trouble conceiving you could be wrong.

Beckham's problem is his swing. Not only does he have great trouble against offspeed pitches, the hitch in his swing makes it hard for him to hit fastballs if his timing is just off a little bit. If he works away from that hitch, shortens up his swing, he may have an alright year next year. Considering his BABIP, he is very unlucky. With Keppinger more than likely slotted at #2 in the order, it is unlikely Beckham will be moved around in the order. Therefore, he will be hitting 9th day-in-day-out and will see a lot of fastballs.

I'll break it down for you munch: he will be hitting in the same spot, he will see a lot of fastballs hitting 9th, his BABIP indicates he was very unlucky last year and hitting "average" for a 2B is not that hard to attatin.

AL average 2B slash per dub's post: .250/.311/.374. with 6 HR
Beckham's 2012 slash per dub's post: .234/.296/.371 with 16 HR 60 RBIs

What I think is easily attainable and completely acceptable for a strong fielder at 2B: .250/.310/.390 with 17 HRs and 65 RBIs.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
How am I lieing? You accused me of saying he was going to break out, which I said nowhere. So quickly after your accusation two other posters came to my defense before I even saw your post. That is 3 against 1. I know you have trouble conceiving you could be wrong.

Beckham's problem is his swing. Not only does he have great trouble against offspeed pitches, the hitch in his swing makes it hard for him to hit fastballs if his timing is just off a little bit. If he works away from that hitch, shortens up his swing, he may have an alright year next year. Considering his BABIP, he is very unlucky. With Keppinger more than likely slotted at #2 in the order, it is unlikely Beckham will be moved around in the order. Therefore, he will be hitting 9th day-in-day-out and will see a lot of fastballs.

I'll break it down for you munch: he will be hitting in the same spot, he will see a lot of fastballs hitting 9th, his BABIP indicates he was very unlucky last year and hitting "average" for a 2B is not that hard to attatin.

AL average 2B slash per dub's post: .250/.311/.374. with 6 HR
Beckham's 2012 slash per dub's post: .234/.296/.371 with 16 HR 60 RBIs

What I think is easily attainable and completely acceptable for a strong fielder at 2B: .250/.310/.390 with 17 HRs and 65 RBIs.
Your original statement speaks for itself. So now in order to "get his swing back", he's going to post that line you mentioned? One he never has, only worse lines and then one line way better. Right...you certainly didn't mean that one year.

This is done. Argue the meanings of words all you want.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Regular

Beckham is in the odd category that he hits Righties better than Lefties.

.251/.297/.397 vs R
.199/.288/.303 vs L

Batting #2 .258/.305/.402<---Nothing special but his best splits.

He's a .162 hitter with 2 strikes on him, including 3-2 counts, which means he's clearly guessing or the book on him is to just not throw a strike w/ 2 strikes on him.

Batting him #2, seeing fastballs, putting on the hit and run, getting him swinging the bat early may help.

Men on 2nd or 3rd he ballons to a .326 hitter (aka DeAza on 2nd).

.207 hitter in high leverage situations, again probably stemming from pressing or guessing.

Keppinger---
vs LHP .317/.342/.473

vs LHP ---A. Sanchez .273/.349/.360

Assuming A. Sanchez is our backup INF.

We've now turned our normal .235/.301/.386 production from 2B into
.267/.330/.376 by the platoon of not playing G.B. vs LHP.

I know its not a huge jump, but every bit helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Beckham is in the odd category that he hits Righties better than Lefties.

.251/.297/.397 vs R
.199/.288/.303 vs L

Batting #2 .258/.305/.402<---Nothing special but his best splits.

He's a .162 hitter with 2 strikes on him, including 3-2 counts, which means he's clearly guessing or the book on him is to just not throw a strike w/ 2 strikes on him.

Batting him #2, seeing fastballs, putting on the hit and run, getting him swinging the bat early may help.

Men on 2nd or 3rd he ballons to a .326 hitter (aka DeAza on 2nd).

.207 hitter in high leverage situations, again probably stemming from pressing or guessing.

Keppinger---
vs LHP .317/.342/.473

vs LHP ---A. Sanchez .273/.349/.360

Assuming A. Sanchez is our backup INF.

We've now turned our normal .235/.301/.386 production from 2B into
.267/.330/.376 by the platoon of not playing G.B. vs LHP.

I know its not a huge jump, but every bit helps.
I don't know much about Sanchez's defense vs. Beckham, but the defensive difference between Keppinger and Beckham is probably larger than that gain. I'd only do this if Beckham takes over at 3rd.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know much about Sanchez's defense vs. Beckham, but the defensive difference between Keppinger and Beckham is probably larger than that gain. I'd only do this if Beckham takes over at 3rd.
You keep bashing Beckham yet you want his production at 3B rather than 2B? What a joke.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your original statement speaks for itself. So now in order to "get his swing back", he's going to post that line you mentioned? One he never has, only worse lines and then one line way better. Right...you certainly didn't mean that one year.

This is done. Argue the meanings of words all you want.
Rather than respond to this disjointed post, I'll take my own opinon and the rest of the boards backing over your opinon.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
You keep bashing Beckham yet you want his production at 3B rather than 2B? What a joke.
No, I don't. But position doesn't matter on offense if the same guys are in the lineup. Keppinger is a better 2B option than 3B option, and Beckham can play both, so this option made some sense.

Quote:
I'll take my own opinon and the rest of the boards backing over your opinon.
After I explained what you did, everyone else shut up about it.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Probably because nobody wants to explain the same thing to you over and over and over
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Quote:
Probably because nobody wants to explain the same thing to you over and over and over
Pretty much. Sure in the hell isn't out of a sudden respect and agreement of his opinion.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
This was assuming Beckham and Sanchez split 2B when a LHP occurs.

Keppinger plays well above avg defense at 3B, I wouldn't move him.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I don't. But position doesn't matter on offense if the same guys are in the lineup. Keppinger is a better 2B option than 3B option, and Beckham can play both, so this option made some sense.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Pretty much. Sure in the hell isn't out of a sudden respect and agreement of his opinion.
Alright munch, I rest my case. I am sure we will meet again but until then Go Tigers!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Come on. If you wanna sit here and debate the words he wrote all night, I will oblige you, they are in this thread. Because you're arguing with me for the sake of disagreeing. He ****ing said it, and there's no way it could be misconstrued to be what he tried to say it meant after the fact. Don't be a troll.