White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Wait, if he hits 15 more homers, his batting average will drop 50 points and his OBP will drop 100 points from his career averages? And that's everything going right?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with this, but to say it as an absloute that it will happen and that it is an absolute that the Sox will tank is...well...
Obviously this is why they play the games, who the hell thought the Orioles or A's would make the playoffs last year? It's not an absolute but I would be stunned if the White Sox won much more than 83 games this year. But who knows?

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Obviously this is why they play the games, who the hell thought the Orioles or A's would make the playoffs last year? It's not an absolute but I would be stunned if the White Sox won much more than 83 games this year. But who knows?
I think that's the point me and others in this thread have been trying to make. On paper, this Sox team doesn't look like they will contend for the AL Central. But again, before the season started last year, there were experts that had the Sox losing 90-95 games. It's ridiculous to say you know what is going to happen. As you said, who saw the Orioles coming? Or the Sox being in first place most of the season? Or the A's? The Giants? Anything can happen after that first pitch is thrown. Nothing is certain.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think that's the point me and others in this thread have been trying to make. On paper, this Sox team doesn't look like they will contend for the AL Central. But again, before the season started last year, there were experts that had the Sox losing 90-95 games. It's ridiculous to say you know what is going to happen. As you said, who saw the Orioles making the playoffs? Or the Sox being in first place most of the season? Or the A's? The Giants? Anything can happen after that first pitch is thrown. Nothing is certain.
Of course it's ridiculous but, ya know, it's kind of fun too. I would wait until spring training starts before making any real sort of predictions and even then I would revise my predictions at the end of spring training.

I will say this for the White Sox, it seems like they play a year late. In 2012 they played like the team everyone thought they would play like in 2011, in 2011 they played like the team a lot of people predicted they would be in 2010. Strange sort of thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think that's the point me and others in this thread have been trying to make. On paper, this Sox team doesn't look like they will contend for the AL Central. But again, before the season started last year, there were experts that had the Sox losing 90-95 games. It's ridiculous to say you know what is going to happen. As you said, who saw the Orioles coming? Or the Sox being in first place most of the season? Or the A's? The Giants? Anything can happen after that first pitch is thrown. Nothing is certain.

Spawn the main issue I have with that is the level of young talent in the respective rosters. The A's and Orioles were filled with former #1 picks and guys at the top of every prospect list. And the Giants? Winners of two of the last three series? Yeah, nobody saw that coming. We've got the consensus worst system in baseball, and our ready "prospects" have already had several hundred if not thousands of at bats. It baffles me that people still think Beckham is going to bust out.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Of course it's ridiculous but, ya know, it's kind of fun too. I would wait until spring training starts before making any real sort of predictions and even then I would revise my predictions at the end of spring training.
Yeah, but again, there is a difference between making predictions and stating them as absolutes. According to munch here, the Sox have no shot, no matter if everything goes right, and to take a wait and see approach is being overly optimstic. That's what I find ridiculous.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but again, there is a difference between making predictions and stating them as absolutes. According to munch here, the Sox have no shot, no matter if everything goes right, and to take a wait and see approach is being overly optimstic. That's what I find ridiculous.
If you go back and read, I didn't say that at all. I said we had next to no shot. We would need an elaborate scenario than involved several key Tigers all going down. Not impossible. But why would I lie and say its likely? It's not.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
I will say this for the White Sox, it seems like they play a year late. In 2012 they played like the team everyone thought they would play like in 2011, in 2011 they played like the team a lot of people predicted they would be in 2010. Strange sort of thing.
I know, right? It is kinda strange they do that. Let's just hope that in 2012, they play like 2005!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
If you go back and read, I didn't say that at all. I said we had next to no shot. We would need an elaborate scenario than involved several key Tigers all going down. Not impossible. But why would I lie and say its likely? It's not.
If the White Sox have an elaborate scenario where Danks, Sale and Peavy pitch to the best of their abilities, Beckham hits like he did in September all year long, Dunn hits .250 with 40 something homers, Flowers hits .260 something, Rios and Konerko hits like he did in the first half, and Alexei hits like he did back in 2010 the White Sox will make the playoffs. No Tiger players have to get hurt for that to happen. The Tigers might still win the division but if all those things happen the White Sox will win at least one of the wild cards.

Last edited by WhiteSox5187; 01-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I know, right? It is kinda strange they do that. Let's just hope that in 2012, they play like 2005!
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...that didn't happen in 2012.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...that didn't happen in 2012.
D'OH! I mean 2013.....
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dayan hit homers off of Bruce Chen, Scott Diamond, Corey Kluber, Scott Maine, Chris Perez, and Vinne Pestano. NONE of them are rookies (though Kluber and Maine are gas cans). Bruce Chen was the best pitcher on the Royals last year (which isn't saying much) and consistently beat the White Sox, Scott Diamond had a 3.54 ERA, Chris Perez had a 3.57 ERA and 39 saves this year, and Pestano had a 2.57 ERA in 70 innings. That's not exactly AAA filler.
Not exactly all rookies as Munch stated. Why the failure to respond to this post Munch?

Quote:
Spawn the main issue I have with that is the level of young talent in the respective rosters. The A's and Orioles were filled with former #1 picks and guys at the top of every prospect list. And the Giants? Winners of two of the last three series? Yeah, nobody saw that coming. We've got the consensus worst system in baseball, and our ready "prospects" have already had several hundred if not thousands of at bats. It baffles me that people still think Beckham is going to bust out.
Please quote back to when anyone said Beckham is gonig to bust out? As someone previouly noted, you are making arguements with people who do not exist.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Tell that to Astros fans. Think they're looking forward to this season?
Sure they are, myself included, but now that they directly compete with the Sox, my interest is a bit lessened.

Astros fans want to see how this whole AL thing shakes out, to see which of the top prospects push their way on a big league roster, to see if anyone busts out by surprise, to see who they pick first, and what else Luhnow can do to speed the rebuild, which deals they can make to add young talent.

We did go though that ourselves not too long ago, though it was longer and more painful in the late 80s than in the late 90s. Too bad we don't have another young Frank Thomas to build around when we have to reload or rebuild again in a few years.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Tell that to Astros fans. Think they're looking forward to this season?
Why not? Can't beat fun at the 'ole ballpark!

Even if it has a retractable roof.

Many of us went to Sox games in the 70's knowing the team sucked. We didn't care, it was still fun and exciting to be at the ballpark.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Many of us went to Sox games in the 70's knowing the team sucked

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)