White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
MMXXIII

Default Delmon Young signs with Philadelphia

Saw it in the paper this morning, forgot to make a thread because, who the **** cares about Delmon Young, am I right? But was reminded when I saw this gem pop up on Deadspin:

Deal is 1-year, $750 K but he can make up to $600 K more this year by not becoming a fat ****ing cow.

http://deadspin.com/5978454/delmon-y...ing-a-fat-mess

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Saw it in the paper this morning, forgot to make a thread because, who the **** cares about Delmon Young, am I right? But was reminded when I saw this gem pop up on Deadspin:

Deal is 1-year, $750 K but he can make up to $600 K more this year by not becoming a fat ****ing cow.

http://deadspin.com/5978454/delmon-y...ing-a-fat-mess
Haha...how that doesn't violate the CBA, I don't know. But hilarious nonetheless!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Delmon Young + Philly fans =
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Not if he wants that 600k.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Not if he wants that 600k.
It doesn't matter. He'll find a way to screw this up.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
WSI Prelate

The thing is, I don't know if the Tigers win the Central last year without Delmon Young. He had so many big hits last year, especially against the White Sox, that even if he had been replaced by someone with better overall numbers, the Tigers might hae won fewer games. When the White Sox won two of three from the Tigers early in the season, I commented that Sox pitchers were treating Young like the most dangerous hitter in the lineup. He wasn't, but later, he killed the Sox.

The at bat that stands out is the one in the September 2 game against Justin Verlander when Young hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the sixth with the score tied with the White Sox a game ahead of the Tigers in the standings. He didn't hit .300 against the Sox this year, but he hit a few home runs and a few doubles, and they always seemed to hurt.

Maybe the Tigers won't miss him in 2013, but the White Sox would have been better off if he had left a year earlier.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The thing is, I don't know if the Tigers win the Central last year without Delmon Young. He had so many big hits last year, especially against the White Sox, that even if he had been replaced by someone with better overall numbers, the Tigers might hae won fewer games. When the White Sox won two of three from the Tigers early in the season, I commented that Sox pitchers were treating Young like the most dangerous hitter in the lineup. He wasn't, but later, he killed the Sox.

The at bat that stands out is the one in the September 2 game against Justin Verlander when Young hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the sixth with the score tied with the White Sox a game ahead of the Tigers in the standings. He didn't hit .300 against the Sox this year, but he hit a few home runs and a few doubles, and they always seemed to hurt.

Maybe the Tigers won't miss him in 2013, but the White Sox would have been better off if he had left a year earlier.

Young only hurt us in September. He was useless all year and a big reason the Tigers needed to even beat us down the stretch. And they replaced him with Torii Hunter, who's a better player and still kills us.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Young only hurt us in September. He was useless all year and a big reason the Tigers needed to even beat us down the stretch. And they replaced him with Torii Hunter, who's a better player and still kills us.
If you followed the Tigers in 2012, you would have notice that Young got a lot of big hits, and he had more RBIs against the White Sox last season than against any other team. He was more productive against the White Sox last year than Hunter was, although Hunter has a reputation of being a White Sox killer. Maybe Hunter will hurt the White Sox more next year than he did last year. Maybe Hunter will hurt the White Sox more than Young did last year. Maybe Cabrera and Fielder won't hit as well in the clutch next year and things will even out. It doesn't change the fact that Young had a lot of big hits against the White Sox last year.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
WSI Guru

This does not bode well for Dom Brown.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
This does not bode well for Dom Brown.
I can't understand why they haven't given him a chance. Maybe he's just not cut out for baseball. He was recruited for basketball.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Delmon Young + Philly fans =
Yes that could turn out to be quite a train wreck.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
I can't understand why they haven't given him a chance. Maybe he's just not cut out for baseball. He was recruited for basketball.
I've seen a lot of Brown over the past two seasons. He's extremely talented and has a lot of potential. However, he's also streaky and doesn't seem to grasp the fundamentals of the game, which has limited the Phillies use of him.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

From one douchebag team to another douchebag team. Serves him right.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post

I've seen a lot of Brown over the past two seasons. He's extremely talented and has a lot of potential. However, he's also streaky and doesn't seem to grasp the fundamentals of the game, which has limited the Phillies use of him.
I feel like that is the sentiment. He has tools, but not the experience to put them all together.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
He was commited to play football at Miami, which is why he fell to the 20th round of the 2006 draft:

http://phillies.scout.com/2/612400.html

http://phuturephillies.com/profiles/...brown-domonic/

I would like to see the Phillies trade him to a team like Houston, where he would get a chance to play. He could be this year's Justin Maxwell.