White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
A few recent news stories shine a light:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit...first-priority

Viciedo's shown little that says he can be our #4 hitter for years to come, and going cheap with rookies in the OF is not a good idea if we want to compete. If the Sox want to deal Viciedo for anything of value it will need to be the next two seasons before Boras shoots for the moon in arb, then we'll be stuck with an expensive one-dimentional power hitter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit...ite-soxs-radar

I hope Hahn isn't really thinking of going into the season with Wise, Danks, Gimenez, Sanchez and this lefty hitting utility infielder this season...

Under the radar?
Dayan moving over to first is an interesting idea and honestly might work especially since the White Sox appear to be rebuilding without explicitly saying so. The problem is if the White Sox allow Konerko to walk after this year that means that they will have let three fan favorites to leave in three consecutive years without bringing in anyone to really replace them. Now, from a baseball standpoint this might make sense but from a PR standpoint it might be a difficult pill to swallow.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Dayan moving over to first is an interesting idea and honestly might work especially since the White Sox appear to be rebuilding without explicitly saying so. The problem is if the White Sox allow Konerko to walk after this year that means that they will have let three fan favorites to leave in three consecutive years without bringing in anyone to really replace them. Now, from a baseball standpoint this might make sense but from a PR standpoint it might be a difficult pill to swallow.
Maybe Paulie can help us all out and just play like **** this year

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI Personality

As they stand now I don't see the Sox able to compete with KC, let alone the Tigers. The team is worse than last year, on paper. I wouldn't be opposed to unloading all of the higher end players and rebuilding, even if that means we suck for a few years. I'd rather get something instead of letting guys walk. What's the point of playing for 3rd or 4th place if there's nothing to look forward to in the future?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwag View Post
As they stand now I don't see the Sox able to compete with KC, let alone the Tigers. The team is worse than last year, on paper. I wouldn't be opposed to unloading all of the higher end players and rebuilding, even if that means we suck for a few years. I'd rather get something instead of letting guys walk. What's the point of playing for 3rd or 4th place if there's nothing to look forward to in the future?
What higher end players do we have that any team would give up something of value to acquire? I don't think anyone will give up much of anything to get Dunn and Rios right now. If they're playing well at the deadline maybe someone will give up something, but not right now. Konerko is also a gamble giving his second half decline. The only real trade chips we have, and I use that term loosely, are De Aza and maybe Alexei Ramirez. And I don't think that they will get you much else other than a B level prospect.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
What higher end players do we have that any team would give up something of value to acquire? I don't think anyone will give up much of anything to get Dunn and Rios right now. If they're playing well at the deadline maybe someone will give up something, but not right now. Konerko is also a gamble giving his second half decline. The only real trade chips we have, and I use that term loosely, are De Aza and maybe Alexei Ramirez. And I don't think that they will get you much else other than a B level prospect.
Seems the only thing we can count on for the future is Konerko, Peavy, Dunn and Rios being off the books and hope that Jerry will spend all that freed up cash on quality players and not cut payroll back to a pre-2000 "Kids Can Play" level.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Seems the only thing we can count on for the future is Konerko, Peavy, Dunn and Rios being off the books and hope that Jerry will spend all that freed up cash on quality players and not cut payroll back to a pre-2000 "Kids Can Play" level.
You might be able to get something for Konerko and Peavy at the deadline (though Konerko would have to approve a trade obviously). I think that unless Rios and Dunn are playing out of their minds and a team like the Yankees or Dodgers is desperate for them, they are cost prohibitive. The White Sox are kind of stuck in a holding position and what I would like to see them do is to continue to have good drafts and actually develop young talent rather than being forced to overpay for rather mediocre players on the free agent market. If the money saved by letting Konerko, Peavy, Dunn and Rios is spent wisely on the draft and international free agents then maybe by 2015 you can have a nice young core of players you can build around similar to "The Kids Can Play."
Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Personality

Icon15

Quote:
You might be able to get something for Konerko and Peavy at the deadline (though Konerko would have to approve a trade obviously). I think that unless Rios and Dunn are playing out of their minds and a team like the Yankees or Dodgers is desperate for them, they are cost prohibitive. The White Sox are kind of stuck in a holding position and what I would like to see them do is to continue to have good drafts and actually develop young talent rather than being forced to overpay for rather mediocre players on the free agent market. If the money saved by letting Konerko, Peavy, Dunn and Rios is spent wisely on the draft and international free agents then maybe by 2015 you can have a nice young core of players you can build around similar to "The Kids Can Play."
Did the ship sink before the season even started? Under your theory if the Angels go into the tank they couldn't get much for inflated contracts of Weaver,Hamilton,Wilson,and Albert. All the Sox need is another solid left handed hitter and there good to go. Also Peavy if traded would be very attractive to another team being signed to only a 2 year contact.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You might be able to get something for Konerko and Peavy at the deadline (though Konerko would have to approve a trade obviously). I think that unless Rios and Dunn are playing out of their minds and a team like the Yankees or Dodgers is desperate for them, they are cost prohibitive.
Have you seen the money thrown around the free agent market this year? Check out the contracts that BJ Upton and Angel Pagan got during free agency. Not just annual payout but length of contracts too. Rios is better than both of those guys and is signed for less years and you think nobody would want him in a trade? It's a mistake to undervalue our players.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Did the ship sink before the season even started? Under your theory if the Angels go into the tank they couldn't get much for inflated contracts of Weaver,Hamilton,Wilson,and Albert. All the Sox need is another solid left handed hitter and there good to go. Also Peavy if traded would be very attractive to another team being signed to only a 2 year contact.
The Angels bring in a lot more money than the White Sox and the White Sox needs go way beyond just another left handed hitter. The need production from third base, Alexei Ramirez to stop his downward slide the past two years, Konerko to not play like he's 37, Flowers to produce as much as AJ, find a way to have Dunn, Flowers and Vicidedo avoid a combined six hundred strikeouts, Peavy and Sale to stay healthy and as productive as they were last year, Addison Reed to be a reliable closer, Nate Jones to be productive out of the bullpen...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
WSI Personality

How do we go about getting a TV deal that will bring us the cash like the Rangers?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM
WSI Personality

Icon15

Quote:
The Angels bring in a lot more money than the White Sox and the White Sox needs go way beyond just another left handed hitter. The need production from third base, Alexei Ramirez to stop his downward slide the past two years, Konerko to not play like he's 37, Flowers to produce as much as AJ, find a way to have Dunn, Flowers and Vicidedo avoid a combined six hundred strikeouts, Peavy and Sale to stay healthy and as productive as they were last year, Addison Reed to be a reliable closer, Nate Jones to be productive out of the bullpen...
Sorry but that makes no sense. All clubs have the same problems; some more some less. Also Oakland has far less $ than most teams and somehow finished ahead of Texas and LA.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
How do we go about getting a TV deal that will bring us the cash like the Rangers?
Well 1st they would need to sell their share of Comcast to the Bulls, hawks and Cubs.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
We just lost a great left hand hitter in AJ and we still only won 85 games with him. This team needs a lot more than that to compete.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

How long until pitchers and catchers report?

The silence is deafening. I wish Hahn would shake things up, I'd prefer a youth movement to how the team projects right now.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
How long until pitchers and catchers report?

The silence is deafening. I wish Hahn would shake things up, I'd prefer a youth movement to how the team projects right now.

If you dont go the FA route, you have to give to get. If you dont have much to give, you cant get.

I at one time wanted the youth movement, blow it up but realized there is not enough youth in system and not many pieces in place that can get youth. I also dont want to sit around for years crossing my fingers as a watch 90+ loss seasons. The way to go and they didnt is the FA route, maybe next year they will have learned from their mistake.
Closed Thread