White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
If the Sox want Upton, Hahn could try to get creative and trade for some of the prospects the Mariners were offering and then flip them back to the D'backs in a package. The D'backs obviously wanted some of those players and were willi.
Flipping never works. Teams back out between flips. Do a 3 way if this is what they want.

And on another subject, Garcia was traded for Floyd and Gio Gonzales.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Getting a bit concerned, since it's the middle of January and we're in prime cheaper FA time with nothing to show since the Keppinger signing.

I hope we don't go into the season without another lefty bat and a relief pitcher or two. That would be a Kenny "50 cents" special, and I was hopeful that Hahn would be a bit more proactive.

Maybe something tomorrow, it's a Wednesday.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Getting a bit concerned, since it's the middle of January and we're in prime cheaper FA time with nothing to show since the Keppinger signing.

I hope we don't go into the season without another lefty bat and a relief pitcher or two. That would be a Kenny "50 cents" special, and I was hopeful that Hahn would be a bit more proactive.

Maybe something tomorrow, it's a Wednesday.
I'm getting antsy also, every morning I wake up expecting a trade and so far, nada.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm getting antsy also, every morning I wake up expecting a trade and so far, nada.
I'm not sure how anyone could expect the Sox to be making trades with the pitiful collection of assets they have right now.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could expect the Sox to be making trades with the pitiful collection of assets they have right now.
That's actually the exact reason one would/should expect a trade.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
That's actually the exact reason one would/should expect a trade.
I can see why someone WOULD want the Sox to make a move, but I'm not sure I follow the logic that this is why the Sox SHOULD.

They have nothing of value so what team is going to come calling with a fair proposal?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You make it sound like our roster was a 100 loss team last year. There are trades out there, it just comes down to what Hahn is willing to part with.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
You make it sound like our roster was a 100 loss team last year. There are trades out there, it just comes down to what Hahn is willing to part with.
No, but I think you can make an argument that the 2012 Sox were definitely better than the sum of their parts and plenty of our better players have some pretty big question marks around them. I mean, I think the Sox will be somewhere in the mid-80s win range again this year, but would anyone out there be stunned if they turned in a 60-70 win stinker of a season? I can't say that I would be.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can see why someone WOULD want the Sox to make a move, but I'm not sure I follow the logic that this is why the Sox SHOULD.

They have nothing of value so what team is going to come calling with a fair proposal?
I understand your point -- the Sox don't have an abundance of movable pieces. But I think the Sox can and will get something of value for Thornton or Crain. I think one will be traded before Spring Training -- maybe both. There's also likely a market out there for Floyd.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI Regular

At 9.5M for a low 4, high 3 ERA starter who throws 180+ innings.
As much as he frustrates me and Don Cooper haha, I dont think he's moving. Very valuable at 9.5M (see E. Jackson contract and compare #s)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Banned

Icon15

Quote:

I think you're being very dramatic.

Sure, I acknowledge that the Sox core is average players with generally expensive contracts and that our farm system lacks an abundance of potential. But does this mean we cannot make a trade or two? Not at all. Every team has players that another team could use.

Hahn took a leap that we were trying to contend when he signed Peavy so it is assumed that we are going for it this year rather than a rebuild/retool. We have had a weak farm system for a long time and that has never stopped us from striking a deal. There are certain things that initiate teams to make moves other than potential; primarily contracts, money, demand, etc.

Now whether the Sox have the assets to trade for Justin Upton or David Price is a different conversation. You thinking no one would make a trade with the Sox because our organization lacks potential is bogus.

Considering Reinsdorf has said our payroll was reported higher than it actually was last year and we will be around the same level this year, makes it seem that we still have some (maybe not much) money to spend.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
I think you're being very dramatic.

Sure, I acknowledge that the Sox core is average players with generally expensive contracts and that our farm system lacks an abundance of potential. But does this mean we cannot make a trade or two? Not at all. Every team has players that another team could use.

Hahn took a leap that we were trying to contend when he signed Peavy so it is assumed that we are going for it this year rather than a rebuild/retool. We have had a weak farm system for a long time and that has never stopped us from striking a deal. There are certain things that initiate teams to make moves other than potential; primarily contracts, money, demand, etc.

Now whether the Sox have the assets to trade for Justin Upton or David Price is a different conversation. You thinking no one would make a trade with the Sox because our organization lacks potential is bogus.

Considering Reinsdorf has said our payroll was reported higher than it actually was last year and we will be around the same level this year, makes it seem that we still have some (maybe not much) money to spend.
I hope you're correct. I don't think the Sox will definitely be a bad team next year, I just don't see a lot of guys with high individual trade value that they'd be willing to move.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

I think Doub is right as well. I mean, our farm system is still bottom 3 in baseball, probably still the worst. We don't have a ton of movable mlb parts, maybe Floyd. Thornton's value is low, Crain is coming off an injury filled season. It also may not make sense to move these guys now.

If Thornton and Crain are at all time lows, why trade them now? Why not let them go out and see if they dominate Spring Training and get some scout/GM excited and over pay?

At the MLB level, who is there to move offensively? Beckham has next to no value, Vicideo doesn't make a lot of sense to trade, De Aza looks like a solid but nothing special lead off man... and creating a hole to fill another, that makes ZERO sense.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think Doub is right as well. I mean, our farm system is still bottom 3 in baseball, probably still the worst. We don't have a ton of movable mlb parts, maybe Floyd. Thornton's value is low, Crain is coming off an injury filled season. It also may not make sense to move these guys now.

If Thornton and Crain are at all time lows, why trade them now? Why not let them go out and see if they dominate Spring Training and get some scout/GM excited and over pay?

At the MLB level, who is there to move offensively? Beckham has next to no value, Vicideo doesn't make a lot of sense to trade, De Aza looks like a solid but nothing special lead off man... and creating a hole to fill another, that makes ZERO sense.
It might make some sense to trade De Aza if you can get someone who is young with some degree of potential in order to take a long term approach beyond 2014. Unfortunately the White Sox are kind of stuck in a holding position while waiting for these bad contracts to expire.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
It might make some sense to trade De Aza if you can get someone who is young with some degree of potential in order to take a long term approach beyond 2014. Unfortunately the White Sox are kind of stuck in a holding position while waiting for these bad contracts to expire.
A few recent news stories shine a light:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit...first-priority

Viciedo's shown little that says he can be our #4 hitter for years to come, and going cheap with rookies in the OF is not a good idea if we want to compete. If the Sox want to deal Viciedo for anything of value it will need to be the next two seasons before Boras shoots for the moon in arb, then we'll be stuck with an expensive one-dimentional power hitter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit...ite-soxs-radar

I hope Hahn isn't really thinking of going into the season with Wise, Danks, Gimenez, Sanchez and this lefty hitting utility infielder this season...

Under the radar?
Closed Thread