White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Zobrist is 31 and a switch hitter. Lind is 29 and a LH hitter.

Zobrist can pretty much play anywhere on the field, but you have to wonder if he could replace Beckham at 2B or Rios in RF.

Lind is primarily 1B/DH and maybe LF (hasn't played out there since 2010 though). Seems a little redundant with Dunn and PK signed, unless Viciedo is shipped out.

Both guys are interesting thoughts.
Zobrist is high end utility talent. Not an impact bat we need.
Reminding me more and more of 2007.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Zobrist is high end utility talent. Not an impact bat we need.
Reminding me more and more of 2007.
He put up an .848 OPS last year, .822 the year before that and .927 in 2009. High end utility? He would be the best player on the White Sox.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
He put up an .848 OPS last year, .822 the year before that and .927 in 2009. High end utility? He would be the best player on the White Sox.
In the sense he can cover a multitude of positions, Zobrist is a utility player. A very good utility player who should be playing 150 games a season.

I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform. Could use him as the fourth OFer, DH him against lefties and plug him for the various infielders. He could get 40 starts at DH, 40-50 in the OF, and plenty of starts in the infield to get him to 150, especially with Konerko presumably needing more time off over the next couple years. He'd move Wise into a more appropriate position of a late game sub and still allow the Sox to carry him as a 5th OFer where I think he would add a lot of value in that role. If guys like Beckham and Viciedo hit at a level where they should be starting 150+ games, you could just plug him in at third full time and move Keppinger into the utility role. This guy would be perfect fit, you could move him all around the lineup as needed as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
. They Rays don't need pitching or OFers.
You can never have too much pitching. I would imagine someone like Carlos Sanchez would have trade value, not that I'm advocating trading him, but to suggest the Sox don't have the pieces doesn't seem accurate to me.

A package of Floyd/Sanchez/Hawkins and say a young reliever such as Nate Jones couldn't garner a quality player? Not saying it would be worth it, but it's conceivable.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He's a good player. Gets on base and fair power. Kind of like Swisher (whom we had to pay out the wazzu for in terms of talent). At a fair price, sure.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

As I said earlier, I don't believe this happens because Tampa just seems way too difficult to make deals with; they always want the other team to overpay in trades.

As far as Tampa not needing pitching: nonsense. According to sources they are looking for two relief pitchers. Something like Santiago and Jones might be able to get it done. But again, I don't see us approaching them for Zobrist.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sale and Rios are better.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Sale and Rios are better.
There is no GM in baseball that would take Rios over Zobrist.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
There is no GM in baseball that would take Rios over Zobrist.
I disagree.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
As I said earlier, I don't believe this happens because Tampa just seems way too difficult to make deals with; they always want the other team to overpay in trades.

As far as Tampa not needing pitching: nonsense. According to sources they are looking for two relief pitchers. Something like Santiago and Jones might be able to get it done. But again, I don't see us approaching them for Zobrist.
The trouble is, we need our young pitchers too. Don't need a bunch of Bruneys in our pen.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I disagree.
Zobrist doesn't fall off the face of the planet every other year. His 2010 was down, but not as down as Rios gets.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
Zobrist doesn't fall off the face of the planet every other year. His 2010 was down, but not as down as Rios gets.
Not only is he a better player than Rios and more reliable, he makes less money, and he can play every position.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I disagree.
Me too. There are still dumb GMs out there that would take Rios over Zobrist.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Not only is he a better player than Rios and more reliable, he makes less money, and he can play every position.
Just curious, would you say this statement with the same confidence if you could 100% know for sure that Rios would replicate his 2012 season every year? I realize you are using Alex's up and down career to argue on behalf of Zobrist and it is indeed a legit point. I'd give the edge to Rios as the better player if we are talking about the 2012 version. Rios is a legit 5 tool guy when he is "right". However, Zobrist probably does provide more value to a team considering the amount of positions he plays and his lower salary. Assuming 2012 was the real Alex Rios, I still think he would probably the best position player on the White Sox even if Zobrist were here.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If we get Zobrist I doubt that it would be in a utility role. He has averaged 19 HRs and 83 RBIs the last 4 years while hitting .268.
I watch most of the Rays games and always liked him and always hoped he would wind up on the Southside. He was also born and raised in Eureka Illinois.
yep, right outside Peoria about 15 miiles from me. He's a starter .