White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

But I wonder how much of that is self-inflicted? The Sox had a golden opportunity in 2006-2007 to kick themselves up to those ranks, and yet after a title and a 90 win season, Kenny had 50 cents to spend in the offseason before 2007.
I have always thought that 2007 was the year that they buried themselves. That was the year they should have dug deep into the cookie jar but they backed off after a championship season and a 90 win season. Not a smart move and one that I think cost them dearly for the future of the franchise.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
. The fact that people, supposed "fans" of the Sox still think the team needs to "market" it to us is ****ing pathetic.
Well, that's the reality of the situation. Nobody questions that the diehard fans like most if not all of the people on this board do their part and attend as many games as we can, and some of us even often bring non-fans and groups to the park to try and disparage the misconstrued notion that Sox games are somehow lesser then ones at the Urinal on the North Side.

But to fill the park, there needs to be a real marketing effort, and similarly an investment in what's on the field.

The Sox took a bold step to change the pricing/ticketing structure this offseason, but that alone won't fill the park with the borderline or fringe fans who don't usually go, there needs to be an effort to attract those fans.

Last year was a perfect case in point. They marketed Robin and "Appreciate the Game", not marketed the game-day experience or a star player or two that some less involved fans would want to see. Us die-hards will go the park, the fringe fans aren't spending their limited entertainment dollars to "Appreciate the Game"...

The Cubs market better than us, and that's sad, since their park pretty much markets itself.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This self-persecution our fanbase feels has to be the most aggrevating thing about us. There's certainly a littany of reasons why some fans won't go to the park, but the bottom line is the Sox have spent the money and we just don't bother to show up. We didn't even average 25 K a night at the park last year, good enough for 24th out of the 30 MLB teams while the team still pays a Top 10 payroll for the better part of a decade now. Any neutral observer to this situation would clearly conclude that the Sox are the only ones holding their end of the bargain in this relationship. The fact that people, supposed "fans" of the Sox still think the team needs to "market" it to us is ****ing pathetic.
Marketing is a huge part of any business, and the White Sox are a business. I don't know why its a shock that bad marketing and horrible pricepoints will drive consumers away. It really doesn't matter that the Sox spend a lot of money, that impacts my willingness to goto games so little. I used to go to a lot of games, Have a 1 year old now so the time is more limited, excited with the new pricing to be able to take him to more games.

But the white sox are like any other product or company or brand out there. They are pretty expensive for little results. The experience at USCF isn't a great one, not over the top. The product on the field has pretty much been a bust. Its pretty easy to see why they do not pick up the common fan.

If the Sox want attendance they need to do 3 things - (1) get the pricing right (done) (2) get the product on the field right and stop hoping to back in with a 84 win season and (3) Produce some type of big name (Chris Sale could possibly be that down the road).

The Sox really have not had that Superstar face of the franchise since Thomas left, although Thome came really close. But Konerko, Buehrle, Rios etc., outside of Sox fans, no one really cares about these guys.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This self-persecution our fanbase feels has to be the most aggrevating thing about us. There's certainly a littany of reasons why some fans won't go to the park, but the bottom line is the Sox have spent the money and we just don't bother to show up. We didn't even average 25 K a night at the park last year, good enough for 24th out of the 30 MLB teams while the team still pays a Top 10 payroll for the better part of a decade now. Any neutral observer to this situation would clearly conclude that the Sox are the only ones holding their end of the bargain in this relationship. The fact that people, supposed "fans" of the Sox still think the team needs to "market" it to us is ****ing pathetic.

Agree 100%.

Unlike the past where the attitude was show up and we will spend, the Sox have done plenty to put a payroll out there to compete despite not drawing at the gate.

The Sox have to lead the league in the attendance (rank) to payroll (rank) ratio.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox still in the market for a LH bat.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ers-lohse.html
Who could we get from Baltimore for Floyd? Markakis?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
No.

EDIT: Arizona just signed Cody Ross. Kubel may well be available...

2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"

Last edited by SephClone89; 12-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Wilson Betemit.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Wilson Betemit.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
No.

Kubel's name apparently came up when the D-Backs asked about TCM.

If the Sox are looking at Kubel, I have one word to say:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo!

All hail The Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 PM
WSI Personality

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
No.

Every day it seems I see club signings; but not the White Sox. Oh Rick are you out there somewhere? The world hasn't ended and you have some work to be done. Left handed bat to fit into the lineup,a little help in the bullpen and the bench. I still would like the Sox to go after a CF and move DeAza to LF and move the Tank in a major trade to improve the team.Looking for a Rick Hahn sighting.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post

Every day it seems I see club signings; but not the White Sox. Oh Rick are you out there somewhere? The world hasn't ended and you have some work to be done. Left handed bat to fit into the lineup,a little help in the bullpen and the bench. I still would like the Sox to go after a CF and move DeAza to LF and move the Tank in a major trade to improve the team.Looking for a Rick Hahn sighting.
It's not even January yet. Plus the Sox have pitching assets to sell.

I'm giving it time.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

*sigh*

So the White Sox need a veteran backup catcher, a utility infielder (since I'm pretty sure that Keppinger will be the starting 3B) or two.

C'mon, Rick Hahn. Surely you can do that much...right?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
*sigh*

So the White Sox need a veteran backup catcher, a utility infielder (since I'm pretty sure that Keppinger will be the starting 3B) or two.

C'mon, Rick Hahn. Surely you can do that much...right?
What are Sandy Alomar Jr. and Roberto Alomar up to these days?

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
What are Sandy Alomar Jr. and Roberto Alomar up to these days?
Or Ramon Castro!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Ok, every day you don't see the other 29 teams signing someone. Not even close to every day. Also, the Sox have had signings in the offseason so far. Keppinger, Wise, and Peavy are free agent signings we've had.
Closed Thread