White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I would be curious to see a comparison of AJ's and Flowers' respective catcher's ERAs and Walks and Hits per Innings Caught (WHIC?) for 2012. It seems that would be a valid and important comparison, but I have no idea where to find it.
Flowers' CERA was 4.07. Pierzynski's was 4.08.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldin...se/order/false

Walks and hits per innings caught, not sure where that can be found.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was told on the other site that AJ had 10 more wild pitches thrown to him than the next closest catcher. Combined with his conservative pitch calling, that's alarming. He just can't move behind the plate anymore. He wasn't very good to begin with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
The Cell will be the only MLB park in the league that will never boo you, AJ. Thanks for being my favorite White Sox catcher ever.
Amen! I am so going to miss him. Come back and take Hawk's place in the booth.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
We would have been in the playoffs last year with Buehrle on the staff.

Being the great hitter he is, yes we would have.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post

Catcher ERA is an awful stat. I was curious too and looked into it. There are just too many variables.
I think it's problematic when comparing catchers throughout MLB, but is relevant when comparing two catchers on the same team, who catch the same pitching staff.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
We would have been in the playoffs last year with Buehrle on the staff.
Pointless and wild conjecture.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezheadsoxfan View Post
Amen! I am so going to miss him. Come back and take Hawk's place in the booth.
Now there's an idea.

Thanks for all the memories and for your 100% effort. You will be missed. Now Flowers can shut his mouth about playing time and hopefully show us that he is a starter.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Flowers' CERA was 4.07. Pierzynski's was 4.08.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldin...se/order/false

Walks and hits per innings caught, not sure where that can be found.
Thank you, JB. Not that much different.

Maybe walks and hits per innings caught is even too limited. I'd be curious to see a stat like "total bases surrendered" - walks, hits, passed balls, wild pitches, HBPs, dropped third strikes, errors, etc. - per innings caught (with assists, pickoffs, double/triple plays and caught stealings accounted for as well). Obviously it would vary widely throughout MLB, but would be a valid comparison for two catchers on the same team, catching the same pitchers backed up by the same fielders.

Another decent comparison stat for two pitchers on the same team would be pitches/out generated. Catchers who call pitches that result in quick outs would help out their pitchers significantly.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I think it's problematic when comparing catchers throughout MLB, but is relevant when comparing two catchers on the same team, who catch the same pitching staff.
Not terribly relevant if they catch difference pitchers on the staff though.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

2013 will be 8 years from 2005. Glad to have had AJP on the Sox, farewell & good luck.

For those saying the Sox could've matched Texas $7.5M, YOU try telling YOUR boss he needs to match a 87 percent pay raise or you're gonna hit the road. Then make sure the doorknob don't hit'cha where the Good Lord split'cha!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
2013 will be 8 years from 2005. Glad to have had AJP on the Sox, farewell & good luck.

For those saying the Sox could've matched Texas $7.5M, YOU try telling YOUR boss he needs to match a 87 percent pay raise or you're gonna hit the road. Then make sure the doorknob don't hit'cha where the Good Lord split'cha!

Good point.

The team is counting pennies already with a tight budget.

The way I see is if the Peavy extension is what cost no room for AJ, I'm all good with that.

We have a better chance of winning with Peavy + Flowers than Unknown + AJ.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM
WSI High Priest

The end of an era for the Sox. AJ had an amazing 8 year run here with, of course, the highlight being his very first season here with the Sox winning the World Series.

I think it's going to be a long time before we have such consistency at the catching position again. All I have to say is that if Flowers is going to be our starting catcher in 2013, it's going to be a long season.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

Not terribly relevant if they catch difference pitchers on the staff though.
Yes, that's true if certain starters have "designated catchers." But the Sox haven't really employed that system since AJ has been around. I know it was said that Peavy preferred Flowers, but AJ caught him plenty of times, too.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Pointless and wild conjecture.
If you review Buehrle's teams' records from the last few years on days he started versus their records when every one else started, you'll see it's not wild conjecture in the least. Certainly not any more pointless than claiming signing Buehrle would have an unintelligent move when all evidence points to the contrary.

For example, the 2011 Sox were 19-12 with Buehrle on the bump, 60-71 when another pitcher started. That's an 85 win team that was the equivalent of 74-88 win team when Buehrle didn't pitch. Over the last three seasons, Buehrle's teams have a .558 winning percentage with him on the mound, .479 with someone else. If there's anyone else in the majors who has signed a free agent contract for less than 14 million a year that makes that kind of difference to a team's winning percentage, I'd like to know who.

Last edited by TheVulture; 12-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Thanks for all the memories,AJ!

I am in the group that is pissed that Sox did not jump on a one year deal opportunity with AJ....pay him 7 million and he sticks.
I thought he had his best overall year last year between hitting for power and average,driving in runs,and throwing out runners.
And now is the time to pass on him for a one year deal? Ridiculous.

Maybe some pitchers did not like throwing to him,but the Sox need his offense. Their offense flat sucked yet again,last year,as far as high average hitters...and one of the better ones just waltzed away at a discount for lefty power hitters who hit for average and drive in runs.

I was ready for AJ to be gone after 2011 but he came back with a huge year. He will be missed off a team that cannot score runs.
As has been said, they are evidently still trying to make a run next year,and we are going with a hapless Flowers ? Sorry, I hope he gets better offensively,but I have no faith...swings and misses way too much.

Good luck to AJ down in Texas. We will always have 2005!

PS: Hawk is gonna be on the Score at 3PM...this should be priceless.

Last edited by hawkjt; 12-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.