White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned

More fuel for the Rangers-Angels rivalry.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Everybody's All-American

Will we be the first city that he departed that will actually cheer for him when he returns in an opposing team's uniform?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

This ****ing sucks.

One of my favorite Sox players of all time and my favorite current player signs with the ****ing Rangers.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Will we be the first city that he departed that will actually cheer for him when he returns in an opposing team's uniform?
Absolutely.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM
WSI High Priest

The writing's been on the wall for a few weeks now and now it's pretty much official. For some of his deficiencies over the years, like throwing out baserunners, he's always been a team leader, good hitter, good baserunner and a smart player.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Well, it sounds like nobody wanted to give him a multi-year deal. He will turn 36 years old next week. He has spent many, many innings crouching being The Plate for many years now. I think many teams feel his best years are behind him.

I'm ok with this. Flowers does a better job of throwing out runners.

All hail The Rick
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

7.5M

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...-year-contract
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I am very curious how much he got and if the Sox even made a offer. I thought he would want a 2-3 year which the Sox didnt want but on a one year deal, I would think the Sox would have put a competitive offer on the table. Something isnt meshing in my mind unless its a 8-10M deal.

Probably the last place, I would have went to if I was AJ and wanted to extend my career beyond next year. Catching down there in the texas heat has to be very tough.
The sox offered one year and four million.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Oh come on, we hated AJ so much when he was with the Twins.
Speak for yourself. "We" did not hate him. I wish I could find it, but I made a post where I compared the Sox and Twins position by position back then, and at catcher I said about A.J. that I'd love to have him. I've always liked the way he went about his business.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The sox offered one year and four million.
Thanks for info. 7.5M is a lot but maybe somewhere in the middle would have been ok. AJ always finds a way to produce ink, he is a fan favorite and maybe even puts fans in the seats. Burls was not a realistic sign, AJ was. Its just tough to give up an icon after having his best year, for a couple mil.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

I figured the Sox would go because someone would be silly enough to give him two or more years.

I guess it is more important to find out what you have in Flowers this season, but I just don't think you have anything other than a back up.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

Anyone who thinks $7.5m is an overpay hasn't been paying attention to this offseason.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Now that the initial shock has worn away, I can understand why the Sox didn't re-sign him.

They need to figure out what happens at catcher moving forward eventually, A.J. isn't going to play forever.

That said, relying on Flowers seems a roadmap to years of revolving catchers, just like we had before A.J.. Chris Burke, anyone?

Hopefully we can bring in a long-term big league bat at the position, if not during the rest of the offseason, then before the trade deadline.

If it was a financial move, then it seems idiotic to spend to bring Peavy back (with surely more questions than A.J.) and let your best lefty bat, clubhouse guy and fan favorite go.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Anyone who thinks $7.5m is an overpay hasn't been paying attention to this offseason.
Seriously. And it's not even the money, ONE YEAR? Such minimal risk on the team's part, it's almost incomprehensible.

We offer the guy 1 year, $4 M? That's a ****ing joke in and of itself but then to let him walk over another $3.5 M is horrible. **** you, White Sox

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM
WSI Personality

I never hated A.J. when he was with other teams, never did understand that whole thing.

He played hard, he hit well, and was an average defensive catcher. He was getting older for baseball, though, and everybody knew it.

Still, you can't blame a guy for taking the money at age 36. It's all about the money in the final analysis, and it always has been.

I also hope he goes into managing in the future, he has a great baseball head on his shoulders.

Now, as far as hating a catcher, how about that punk from the Cubs who punched A.J.? There's a catcher who deserves major dislike.

One of my favorite moments from A.J. is that grand slam against the Cubs. The Cubs fan who did a face plant on the dugout roof is hilarious.