White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM
WSI Personality

Black 39THIRTY with the regular Sox logo in white. Pretty much identical to the onfield 59FIFTY except mine is more comfortable. The only place that has them, that I know of is Dick's. Grandstands has a similar one but it looks slightly cheaper.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

This year, I got a high quality '59 one like the one in the original post of this thread, but I like to rotate, and rarely wear the same hat to two games in a row. I've got a Leinenkugel-sponsored giveaway version of the mid-late 60s blue cap, a cheap adjustable version of the current design, a Culver's-sponsored giveaway of the 1983 cap, and an authentic version of the late 80s curly-C cap. Those are all the ones in the rotation, but I'm currently in love with the 1959 one.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

I've got two: a fitted 1959 cap that I got as a Christmas present a couple of years ago, and a fitted 2005 World Series cap I bought at the ballpark gift shop the day of the WS parade in 2005.

The WS cap is my true go-to cap, though it's beginning to fade. Anybody know a no-risk way to clean it? It's a wool on-field cap and has shrunk slightly.

My son bought the '59 cap for me a half-size too big, anticipating shrinkage as happened with the 2005 cap. But the '59 cap isn't wool and hasn't shrunk, so we sewed some fabric in the headband to improve the fit. It becomes my go-to cap if the Sox have a string of losses when I wear the other cap.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Usually, it's the normal team cap I bought right after we won the '05 pennant. I still also wear my '05 World Series hat, but the bill is broken in several places, mainly due to me packing it away several times to move it to and from college. Those are just not big enough to endure that movement like most other caps.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

I've gone between the 1959 cap and my 2006 green Sox hat( i like it because the Sox logo is white base with embossed dark green on top of it). No idea why the green one has gotten into the rotation of late.

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
WSI Regular

They only wore it for a couple of years in the mid-20's, but it is still my favorite: dark blue cap with two crossed white socks, forming a "W".
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
New At WSI

My "go to" White Sox caps deserve a personal ranking....

#3 the '59 style
#2 the '69/'70 style (soft blue)

My #1 the '64-'68 style (navy blue)

All of 'em kinda give me that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling.

Go Sox!
Bob
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM
New At WSI

Post 1967 adjustable white block letter

My only cap is the 1967 cotton adjustable white block letter cap. It is the only one for me.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I tend to wear Sox caps a lot during the season. What is YOUR Sox cap of choice?

For years I had an old beat-up adjustable one (it looks a lot like the President's).

Back in '09 I bought one of these and wore it constantly:

The only problem was that somehow it faded into a navy blue. Quickly. So, after this past season ended I decided it was time for a new cap.

MLB.com was running a "buy one cap, get one 50% off" last week so I ordered one of the authentic New Era caps as well as this throwback. Since it's ALREADY blue I don't have to worry about this one fading in the same way...:

My authentic New Era one is a little big (need to send back for a smaller size; [New Era must have really inconsistent sizes because I have a Giants cap that's the same size but much tighter on the my head]) and I also find that they tend to fit non-big leaguers' heads funny, so the above cap will probably end up being my go-to.
I just bought the 59 and blue 64 hats. They are going to be my going to the park hats this year. I also wear the late 80's cursive C and the 83 hat a lot. Wear the black on occasion. That new BP hat with the silver rim is going in my collection once it comes out too. I've been looking for a silver bill hat for the Sox. I have the red version of the hat you got pictured above, I rarely wear it, it is american needle and 1931 on it. I looked it up, they were truly terrible that year. Also have 2 green fitted I never wear.

Last edited by mahagga73; 01-08-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
and an authentic version of the late 80s curly-C cap.
I've never understood why this cap, and this uniform didn't get more admiration. I don't own the cap, but have always liked that style of uniform. Especially after the variety of atrocities that pre-dated it.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

This thread just sent me over to the club shop, where they are now selling minor league caps. That Baron's cap is sweeeeeeeeeeet, tragically though not offered as a fitted cap.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
I've never understood why this cap, and this uniform didn't get more admiration. I don't own the cap, but have always liked that style of uniform. Especially after the variety of atrocities that pre-dated it.
Probably because they were only worn for a few years and the preceded the current uniforms which are arguably the best uniforms in franchise history.

I also thought they were nice uniforms. Especially after they got rid of the numbers on the pant legs which were a carry over from the red, white and blue softball style uniforms.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Because they were incredibly generic. It's as if someone called a uniform company and said "give me some baseball uniforms for a team called White Sox. Colors? Oh, I don't know, I guess red, white, and blue always works."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 AM
WSI Personality

Good thread. My go to hat is the '05 on field World Series cap, but it is real tight now from years of wear. Before that i wore the '77 fitted for years. Wore the '59 fitted on field cap a lot this past season. I have 16 different hats

I only wear about three of them regularly. Can't get rid of any of them heh
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Years ago, my go to cap was usually the on-field cap. However, after they changed the material from wool to the current synthetic material, it seems as though the New Era field caps don't fit as well. The 5150 caps sold in mall stores, New Era cap corner, etc. all seem to be more fashion-based with the high crown, etc. The older wool models, although they shrunk over time, seemed to fit my head better. I remember the original black cap in 1990. That was probably my all-time favorite and got years of use. Before that, the "C" cap and then before that the all Navy blue SOX cap from the Veck era. I never really warmed up to the Montreal Expos inspired red/white/blue caps.

Due to the changes in the 5150 caps, I now lean toward the batting practice caps as my go to caps. I like the way the stretch material fits my head and they have lower crowns.