White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
I don't enjoy losing, but I enjoy baseball, and I love the Sox.
Perfectly stated.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

The only year I didn't enjoy was 2011.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
WSI Personality

When the Sox are bad I'll go to about 75% of the games in person than if they were doing well. For TV, when the Sox are doing well I make it a point to watch them, if they are doing poorly I'll watch if I have nothing better to do.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Bad White Sox baseball is better than no White Sox baseball. I've watched some pretty bad teams in my time. I was not tested by the 1970 season, however.
1970 was brutal along with 69. I missed 68 because I was in Viet Nam and I think you were there in 1970.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 12-18-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm less likely to watch a game on TV when the Sox are not contending, but I love going to the ballpark with my family even when our beloved Sox are not doing well.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

They are my team, win or lose. Obviously I prefer wins.
Funny though, I find it strangely interesting at the end of the season, and think about what could have been. Helps me count the days until spriing training.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I will go to my 1-2 games at US Cellular per year whether the team is contending or not. If they are contending, the number might go up by 1 or 2, but that is really all I have time for with the wife and kids and all. Going to a baseball game in person is a wonderful experience for me. I even love going to ballparks where the Sox are not playing to watch a game. I've probably been to half of the current MLB ballparks and a handful that are not around anymore.

If the Sox are contending, I will listen/watch every game that I can from start to finish. I will follow games that I can't watch or listen to online. If I am at a social function where I can't follow the game, I will be sure to check the box score the first chance I get.

If the Sox are not contending, I'll probably still check the box scores and follow some games online. I'll watch a few innings whenever I can, but I won't set aside time to watch the game from start to finish.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
1970 was brutal along with 69. I missed 68 because I was in Viet Nam and I think you were there in 1970.
Yep. I was at Ft. Gordon for most of the '60 season so I knew little about it, and knew nothing about the '70 season until I got home in the spring of '71.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI High Priest

I have enjoyed the Sox in some of the seasons where they did not contend. But, that's not automatically the case.

2011 is a good example. I did NOT enjoy 2011 when the team played like a bunch of quitters. Also, IMO, the 2011 Sox had a manager who had already quit on the team, had no respect for the fans, and was looking ahead to success in Miami. No, I did not enjoy them that year.

Also, it depends on what direction the franchise is heading in. In the late 80s and again in the late 90s, the Sox were not contenders, but I enjoyed watching them because they had this collection of young talent that was in the process of developing into major league stars. Right now, however, the Sox look like a mediocre team to me and lack of internal talent and lack of "payroll flexibility" (or whatever Sox management wants to call it) doesn't make the next couple of years look very promising. After 4 straight years of the Sox showing themselves to be pretenders instead of contenders, I probably haven't felt this way about the state of the Sox since maybe 1986 or 87.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Banned

Some of my best childhood memories involved grabbing BP balls in the seats bleachers before a game. It didn't matter to me that we were terrible.

I'll never feel that way again though. I'm too much of an ass now. Win the damn game.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
The only year I didn't enjoy was 2011.
I'd have to agree with this. Ozzie was such a distraction, and the team seemed to quit when he did, so they weren't fun to watch. If they are losing, but doing so with effort, I can appreciate and enjoy it. If they are just laying down and not really trying, then not so much.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM
WSI Prelate

It's all about expectations for me.

If you field a top 10 payroll like they have for the last 7 seasons, I expect the team to make the postseason.

Next season, I will expect the Sox to contend again. Not many teams have what we will at the top of the rotation.

So if the Sox struggle with that pitching staff, I will be upset and won't find the games enjoyable.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1972 View Post
I had a general question for those out there...who enjoys watching the White Sox and going to games even in years in which they are out of it?

I'm wondering as my expectations for this season are not that high..however..I find myself looking forward to next year. Going to Sunday games and tailgating and hanging out in the area..I still find Sox games fun..even in seasons in which they are out of it.

I know many people who refuse to go to games when the Sox are not in the race..however..don't you feel as if you are denying yourself part of summer by not going to at least a few games and hanging out at the ballpark?

Just curious as to others thoughts on this.
I don't care I just love going to the park. If the Sox are in the race all the better.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

When the Sox won in 2005, I cashed in any emotional connection to the Sox. Now when they win, great...when they lose, get them tomorrow and when they don't make the playoffs, get them next year. Odds are I would have come to this type of thinking eventually, but seeing them finally win the World Series seemed like a perfect time to cash in my chips.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

I follow the Sox win or lose. It's more fun when they win, but even when they're having a bad season, it beats no season. I miss following the Sox a couple of weeks after the season ends.