White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
WSI Guru

I'm not going to crown the Angels, not even in that division.

After Weaver and Wilson, who is going to pitch?

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'm not going to crown the Angels, not even in that division.

After Weaver and Wilson, who is going to pitch?
Greinke , as overrated as I think he is, would have made them a better team than another big bat. I agree . I suppose they will be the favorites to win the division because Texas is losing a lot, but I'm not seeing the kind of pitching it takes to succeed in the playoffs. Maybe Oakland will stay ahead of Texas this year.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's contracts like this and teams like the Angels (who spend exorbitant amounts of money on multiple players) that are making me completely lose interest in MLB baseball altogether.

No player is worth 25+ million dollars a year IMO.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM
WSI Guru

Thome:

A player is "worth" whatever the market will bear and whatever someone is willing to pay them as in every other employment position in life.

I'm not saying that a major league player is more valuable to society than say a police office or a teacher. I will say that there are only 750 or so jobs at the major league level.

The odds are very, very, very long of anyone getting to that position. When they do, they deserve to collect big.

Lip
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

That would be really funny if Oakland could somehow win that division, but I'm just not seeing it. They have a lot of nice young guys, but that lineup on paper looks just blah to me.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Thome:

A player is "worth" whatever the market will bear and whatever someone is willing to pay them as in every other employment position in life.

I'm not saying that a major league player is more valuable to society than say a police office or a teacher. I will say that there are only 750 or so jobs at the major league level.

The odds are very, very, very long of anyone getting to that position. When they do, they deserve to collect big.

Lip
This needs to be posted on a billboard somewhere so that it never needs to be repeated.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Thome:

Lip
Yep, that's capitalism to a tee, supply and demand dictate compensation . A lot of people just can't wrap their heads around the concept . And if we all acknowledge that the free market is the best way to go we can't complain when a baseball player makes 1000 times more than the president or a school teacher. Amazingly, it seems sports figures are the favorite target of public resentment when movie actors and directors to a large degree dwarf the earnings of the pauper baseball stars. Why is that ? Because millions more people would rather see Brad Pitt in his newest blockbuster than to see Joe Blow writing a report on company waste in his cubicle. If people stop loving going to the movies or the ball game, which I obviously don't condone, they will start falling back down to earth moneywise.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Thome:

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
This needs to be posted on a billboard somewhere so that it never needs to be repeated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Yep, that's capitalism to a tee, supply and demand dictate compensation . A lot of people just can't wrap their heads around the concept . And if we all acknowledge that the free market is the best way to go we can't complain when a baseball player makes 1000 times more than the president or a school teacher. Amazingly, it seems sports figures are the favorite target of public resentment when movie actors and directors to a large degree dwarf the earnings of the pauper baseball stars. Why is that ? Because millions more people would rather see Brad Pitt in his newest blockbuster than to see Joe Blow writing a report on company waste in his cubicle. If people stop loving going to the movies or the ball game, which I obviously don't condone, they will start falling back down to earth moneywise.
I understand supply and demand and what the over inflated free agent market in MLB dictates.

That doesn't change the fact that IMO players in MLB are vastly overpaid by teams that are considered the "haves" and the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" seems to widen each and every year when some stupid owner decides to overpay a player.

The Hamilton signing is the prime example of that IMO

Also, personally I'm still trying to decide whether I like watching and spending my money on sports such as MLB (and other major sports for that matter) where players are sickeningly overpaid.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
I understand supply and demand and what the over inflated free agent market in MLB dictates.

That doesn't change the fact that IMO players in MLB are vastly overpaid by teams that are considered the "haves" and the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" seems to widen each and every year when some stupid owner decides to overpay a player.

Also, personally I'm still trying to decide whether I like watching and spending my money on sports such as MLB (and other major sports for that matter) where players are sickeningly overpaid
I don't really see them as overpaid, as people have said, they're the ones actually playing the game, and the revenue brings in billions to the sport every year. The players deserve the majority of that revenue, IMHO.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 AM
WSI Guru

Thome:

Maybe the 'have nots' need to get some decent 'have' owners who actually want to compete instead of throwing up their hands, saying 'whoa is me...' and then laughing all the way to the bank with millions in revenue sharing money.

Just sayin'

Lip
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Lip,

You answered the question. Why bother trying when you make money by not even trying. Its shooting fish in a barrel time for owners.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Adam Dunn says hello
damn........that was a good one
Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post

Also, personally I'm still trying to decide whether I like watching and spending my money on sports such as MLB (and other major sports for that matter) where players are sickeningly overpaid.
I follow you and agree . I think there should be, and I have advocated this in the past, a soft cap, kind of like the NHL has had recently and the players are fighting against for obvious reasons. You must spend to at least a certain amount and you cannot exceed a certain amount. The amount is determined yearly by league revenues . I suppose this is kind of a form of communism but sports leagues are different than the business world in the fact all the teams have a collective interest in the growth and strength of the league and all the individual teams. I believe the biggest problem in baseball is not the rich teams but the fact a lot of these so-called lower revenue small market teams are not putting enough resources back into the team like they should be. We certainly cannot complain that the beloved White Sox are one of those. They struggle in ticket sales, don't have the cash a lot of teams have, but they are always making moves and signing players to make the team better. Don't always work but you got to love the organization for that.