White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

We'll see. The L.A. Angels were supposed to run away and hide last year, too. They finished 3rd.
Yeah, and still finished with a better record than the team that won our division

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, and still finished with a better record than the team that won our division
Not to mention the fact that the Rangers have apparently been weakened this offseason, whereas last year it still looked like they were the best team in the AL even after the Angels' free agent splashes.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

And just to think, if Nelson Cruz moves his glove 12 more inches to the right, the Rangers would have a World Series in 2011. Now the Rangers' championship window is closed shut. Baseball is truly a game of inches.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

So who is moving to center for the Rangers? Andrus or Kinsler?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
White Sox Twist: I wonder if there'll be any discussions about Bourjos now. I'd love to make a run at him (for Floyd..?).
MLB TV was talking about the fact that he might be dealt for starting pitching.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
MLB TV was talking about the fact that he might be dealt for starting pitching.
IS Bourjos really worth much starting pitching? He had a nice year in 2011, but in 2012 and 2010 he was crap.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM
WSI High Priest

You had to figure that Hamilton was going elsewhere after how poorly the Rangers handled his "slip" last offseason.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Adam Dunn says hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
At age 33 its not uncommon for players to lose their skills pretty fast. Each of the last 5 years Pujols has dropped in ops, obp and slg. He's never going to be the same player he once was unless he pulls a Barry Bonds. He did end up having a good year but he's never gonna be a 175 ops+ type of hitter again. If he stays healthy he'll end up between 135 and 140 ops which is still great but nothing like what he used to put up.

Alot of people seem to think he's not 33 either but somewhere between 35 and 36 which will make it even more difficult for him to stay healthy. I just don't think this lineup is as scary as it looks.
My point is, a player just doesn't fall flat on his face. Adam Dunn had one bad year, then followed that up with what he normally does. Pujols switched leagues and had a brutal 2 months to start the season. I'm willing to bet he has another Pujols type season this year.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
My point is, a player just doesn't fall flat on his face. Adam Dunn had one bad year, then followed that up with what he normally does. Pujols switched leagues and had a brutal 2 months to start the season. I'm willing to bet he has another Pujols type season this year.
I'm not one to dwell on bashing Dunn, but this is very false.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
You just never know. Last year when the Angels picked up Pujols and C.J. Wilson, I thought they would be unbeatable. When the Tigers signed Prince Fielder, I thought the Sox would finish 20 games out. You still have to play the games.
I feel like that should be the Sox' slogan to combat their decisions not to hand out monster contracts. "White Sox baseball - You still have to play the games"
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I'm not one to dwell on bashing Dunn, but this is very false.
Yeah, although his HR numbers came back, his OPS was 70 points below his average, BA was 36 points under, and he had 31 more Ks than average. But on the plus side he had as many SBs last year as he did the previous 5.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Yeah, although his HR numbers came back, his OPS was 70 points below his average, BA was 36 points under, and he had 31 more Ks than average. But on the plus side he had as many SBs last year as he did the previous 5.
All things considered, it was almost definitely his second-worst season in the majors, after 2011 of course.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Pale:

They have consistently been a real contender and have made numerous playoff appearances. Can't speak for you or any other Sox fan but as for me, I'd take that in a heartbeat. To say nothing of the fact that Moreno refuses to accept the 'status quo' (i.e. the Angels were second class citizens in SoCal) and is doing something about it.

Lip
Sure. They're in the mix every year. But they seem to still not quite have that magic. It's not easy to make a WS and win it. They are missing something, though.

As for the Sox, they should have taken the next step as a perennial postseason contender, especially after winning the Series. But they didn't.

Why is a whole different topic.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
5 years 125 mil

Trout-Pujols-Hamilton one of the best 3-4-5 ever (or 2-3-4?)

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...ls-sources-say
If Hamilton stays healthy, history says he won't.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
You had to figure that Hamilton was going elsewhere after how poorly the Rangers handled his "slip" last offseason.
Whatever, it will prove to be another stupid contract by the Angels, like the Pujols one will be too. They would have been better off resigning Greinke than another bat from an injury prone player like Hamilton, who is a major risk off the field as well. They still don't have a WS title type pitching staff. Pretty soon, after Pujols production drops significantly and Hamilton is out with a hangnail, they will have to spend 300 mill a year to field even a decent team. 2 years, 2 bad contracts.