White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
Players don't just bottom out. Not to mention his line was still awesome. I'm not sure how he isn't the same player. Not to mention he didn't hit his first homer until May. I think he was pressing a lot last year because of that monster contract. I'll be he's closer to his "normal" numbers next year.
At age 33 its not uncommon for players to lose their skills pretty fast. Each of the last 5 years Pujols has dropped in ops, obp and slg. He's never going to be the same player he once was unless he pulls a Barry Bonds. He did end up having a good year but he's never gonna be a 175 ops+ type of hitter again. If he stays healthy he'll end up between 135 and 140 ops which is still great but nothing like what he used to put up.

Alot of people seem to think he's not 33 either but somewhere between 35 and 36 which will make it even more difficult for him to stay healthy. I just don't think this lineup is as scary as it looks.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM
WSI Guru

It's been a great "day" for the Angel fans ever since Moreno bought the club.

Lip
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was expecting a 4 year gig, but 5?

Sheesh.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

A friend of mine went to school with a guy who is a trainer for the Angels. He said this is part of another big move they are planning. My thoughts with what was said in Tampa in the past week about David Price wanting top dollar, how about Trumbo and prospects for Price? Also how quick does Texas make a snap judgement and trade Andrus for Upton?

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Wow. I feel bad for the Rangers. Their window might have just shut. I'm wondering if choking away the West and then losing the Wild Card Game had to do with Hamilton jumping ship. Great day to be an Angels fan though.
The Rangers still have the money to compte.

Don't feel bad for them.

Feel bad for the AL Central.

The East and West because of money will buy playoff slots every year going forward.

Still have to play 162, but their odds are better.

The AL Central might not see a Wild Card in a long time.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
A friend of mine went to school with a guy who is a trainer for the Angels. He said this is part of another big move they are planning. My thoughts with what was said in Tampa in the past week about David Price wanting top dollar, how about Trumbo and prospects for Price? Also how quick does Texas make a snap judgement and trade Andrus for Upton?
I think Dickey may be more realistic than Price.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

You just never know. Last year when the Angels picked up Pujols and C.J. Wilson, I thought they would be unbeatable. When the Tigers signed Prince Fielder, I thought the Sox would finish 20 games out. You still have to play the games.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
That's nothing new, there's been one once in 18 years.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
WSI Personality

The Angels will have so much fun when Hamilton goes into a slump because he switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi, or his glove isn't quite the right color, or his sunglasses don't fit correctly, or....whatever his crazy issue of the month happens to be. And oh yeah, when he goes into a slump for 3 months and swings at every pitch thrown, regardless of location.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post

Players don't just bottom out.
Adam Dunn says hello

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
The Angels will have so much fun when Hamilton goes into a slump because he switched from Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi, or his glove isn't quite the right color, or his sunglasses don't fit correctly, or....whatever his crazy issue of the month happens to be. And oh yeah, when he goes into a slump for 3 months and swings at every pitch thrown, regardless of location.
Yeah he kinda came out of that slump later in the year but I think your right, he's got some head issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
It's been a great "day" for the Angel fans ever since Moreno bought the club.

Lip
They have contended, but not returned to the series since he bought the team. He has invested deeply, but it's been 11 years.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
WSI Guru

Pale:

They have consistently been a real contender and have made numerous playoff appearances. Can't speak for you or any other Sox fan but as for me, I'd take that in a heartbeat. To say nothing of the fact that Moreno refuses to accept the 'status quo' (i.e. the Angels were second class citizens in SoCal) and is doing something about it.

Lip
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
White Sox Twist: I wonder if there'll be any discussions about Bourjos now. I'd love to make a run at him (for Floyd..?).
Great thought. A great defender and a hitter who could lead off or bat second, Peter Bourjos would fit in nicely with the Sox. In the one season where he played every day, Bourjos had 26 doubles, 11 triples, 12 homers and 22 stolen bases.

He would give the Sox more athleticism at the plate and in the field. And he is a local kid, to boot.

The Sox should explore this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
It looks like a great lineup but this could go South pretty quick.

-Pujols isn't the same player, his ops has gone down each of last three years so he probably is on a decline and he's at the age where this starts to happen.
-Hamilton was pretty inconsistent during the 2nd half last year and he is injury prone.
Trout should be good and should adjust well but the scouts did catch up to him at the end last year so I find it hard to believe he can repeat last year.
My concern about Hamilton is this: he has thrived playing in Arlington, Texas. Los Angeles is a much bigger stage and the contract is enormous. It is difficult to predict how he responds to this new situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
We'll see. The L.A. Angels were supposed to run away and hide last year, too. They finished 3rd.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Great thought. A great defender and a hitter who could lead off or bat second, Peter Bourjos would fit in nicely with the Sox. In the one season where he played every day, Bourjos had 26 doubles, 11 triples, 12 homers and 22 stolen bases.

He would give the Sox more athleticism at the plate and in the field. And he is a local kid, to boot.

The Sox should explore this.

My concern about Hamilton is this: he has thrived playing in Arlington, Texas. Los Angeles is a much bigger stage and the contract is enormous. It is difficult to predict how he responds to this new situation.

We'll see. The L.A. Angels were supposed to run away and hide last year, too. They finished 3rd.
Yeah alot of times these big buyers never really pan out. Although it does seem hard to believe that they wont run away with AL West.