White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Buster Olney tweeted that he heard from an agent he trusts that AJ most likely will end up back with the White Sox..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Buster Olney tweeted that he heard from an agent he trusts that AJ most likely will end up back with the White Sox..
Rosenthal tweeted last night that linked AJ to the Rangers (the article made it seem like that was mainly conjecture on the part of the author however). I am somewhat surprised that the market for AJ is so limited, I know he is 37 but he can still go out and hit .280 and in a hitter friendly ballpark like Yankee Stadium or the Ballpark in Arlington he might be capable of hitting 15+ home runs.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
WSI Guru

I hope this proves to be correct although I asked about this with a good source a few minutes ago. They said they simply can't see it happening because, "A.J. would be very, very, very, very miserable..." (direct quote)

They feel he's going to Texas.

I picked up hints from this individual in the past who knows A.J. well that he likes Chicago, the Sox organization and the fans but he really, really wants a monster payday for his final contract...that he doesn't just want a 'good' contract. If that's true, that's probably out of the Sox range...but we'll see.

Lip
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I hope this proves to be correct although I asked about this with a good source a few minutes ago. They said they simply can't see it happening because, "A.J. would be very, very, very, very miserable..." (direct quote)

I picked up hints from this individual in the past who knows A.J. well that he likes Chicago, the Sox organization and the fans but he really, really wants a monster payday for his final contract...that he doesn't just want a 'good' contract. If that's true, that's probably out of the Sox range...but we'll see.

Lip
I just don't know that anyone is going to give him that huge contract he seeks. We've talked a lot here on WSI about A.J. being a 35-year-old catcher, and we've talked a lot about how he's unlikely to duplicate his 2012 production. We all know giving him a monster deal would be a huge gamble for any club, and if we know it, baseball people surely know it, too.

I wouldn't be stunned if the market for A.J. is so slim that he ends up back in the Sox range. I also won't be stunned if one team (like Texas or New York) decides they are desperate enough and gives him the big contract he desires.

This really could go either way. I do know the Sox won't overpay, nor should they.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
That's a shame if it's true- if there was ever a player who should give a "hometown discount" to his team- it's AJ and the White Sox- he's a great fit and the fans love him- and will still support him even with the (likely) decline that will occur as he ages.

It's up to the Sox to give him a very solid offer- but my theory is that any team other than the White Sox will = San Francisco Giants for AJ.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Buster Olney
A very respected agent who is canvassing the catchers' market thinks that eventually, there will be a reunion of A.J. Pierzynski/CWS.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

AJ to the Yankees?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
That's a shame if it's true- if there was ever a player who should give a "hometown discount" to his team- it's AJ and the White Sox- he's a great fit and the fans love him- and will still support him even with the (likely) decline that will occur as he ages.

It's up to the Sox to give him a very solid offer- but my theory is that any team other than the White Sox will = San Francisco Giants for AJ.
Why in the hell does AJ owe anything to the White Sox?

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
He doesn't "owe" them anything- I agree- I just think this is the best fit for him overall- fans, culture, history with the team, etc.- I think he had a career year last year- he's going to decline on offense as well as defense- my theory is that the fans in Texas or NYY will not be nearly as forgiving as White Sox fans- where he has an 8 year history, etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post

He owes no one but himself. The discount may be for his own benefit though. Look at what happened to his buddy Burls, he may not want to be shipped off to timbuktu in july for the last couple years of his career.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
He owes no one but himself. The discount may be for his own benefit though. Look at what happened to his buddy Burls, he may not want to be shipped off to timbuktu in july for the last couple years of his career.
The Yankees are not the Marlins. I heard that Burls said he was lied to by the Marlins organization when he signed (hey Mark, there's no place like home). I don't think we've ever heard a player complain that the Yankees lied to him.

All hail The Rick
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The Yankees are not the Marlins. I heard that Burls said he was lied to by the Marlins organization when he signed (hey Mark, there's no place like home). I don't think we've ever heard a player complain that the Yankees lied to him.

Might not lie to him, may just tell him, you are here till you are not here. That may be the deal.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

I saw an MLB Network scroll last night that said the Rangers are back in the hunt.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
I saw an MLB Network scroll last night that said the Rangers are back in the hunt.
MLB trade rumors also reporting this. Since they've lost out on Greinke, Hamilton, Napoli, maybe they're getting more desperate. Not desperate, just more than they were.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Looks like he's heading to Texas.

‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Pierzynski, #Rangers closing in on one-year contract. Deal will be pending a physical, not yet done.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...88421138534400