White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Keep in mind this is probably pushed along by the same people that said we should unload Konerko and start Brian Daubach or any number of other people that are out of the league.
To the best of my recollection, I am the only poster who suggested two years ago that the White Sox would be better off acquiring Nate Schierholtz than signing Adam Dunn (for reasons explained at length in this thread -- it being why this thread involves mention of Adam Dunn and Carlos Quentin) and I have never advocated trading, have always advocated resigning Paul Konerko going back to the last century. Your comment doesn't seem to be founded in any sort of reality.

For what it's worth, I believe Adam Dunn is the same hitter he was before he came to the White Sox. His numbers aren't as good, but having watched him play, I didn't believe his White Sox numbers would approach his pre-White Sox numbers. Whether his numbers made him a good hitter in the National League (I didn't believe that to be the case, seeing how pitchers got him out, seeing how little contact he made etc.) is irrelevant. I didn't see any way he was going to help the White Sox win.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I seriously doubt that.
You seriously doubt that people said that or you are one that did?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You seriously doubt that people said that or you are one that did?
Yes or course. I always thought that players like Brian Daubach were better than Paul Konerko. They also should have kept Julio Ramirez, Jose Paniagua, Alex Cintron and Jerry Owens. No, in truth what I seriously doubt is this post.

Quote:
Keep in mind this is probably pushed along by the same people that said we should unload Konerko and start Brian Daubach or any number of other people that are out of the league.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
To the best of my recollection, I am the only poster who suggested two years ago that the White Sox would be better off acquiring Nate Schierholtz than signing Adam Dunn (for reasons explained at length in this thread -- it being why this thread involves mention of Adam Dunn and Carlos Quentin) and I have never advocated trading, have always advocated resigning Paul Konerko going back to the last century. Your comment doesn't seem to be founded in any sort of reality.

For what it's worth, I believe Adam Dunn is the same hitter he was before he came to the White Sox. His numbers aren't as good, but having watched him play, I didn't believe his White Sox numbers would approach his pre-White Sox numbers. Whether his numbers made him a good hitter in the National League (I didn't believe that to be the case, seeing how pitchers got him out, seeing how little contact he made etc.) is irrelevant. I didn't see any way he was going to help the White Sox win.
You thought a player who hit .250/.381/.521 over a decade in the NL, would switch leagues and become the worst hitter of all time?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
You thought a player who hit .250/.381/.521 over a decade in the NL, would switch leagues and become the worst hitter of all time?
I wouldn't put it in those extreme terms, but I didn't believe his National League numbers reflected that he was a good hitter, certainly not a hitter who would be good in the Whtie Sox lineup. I didn't expect him to be a sub-.200 hitter (and, indeed, he did manage to hit .204 for the Sox in 2012) in the American League, but I expected offensive futility.

Really, though, I don't scout players by numbers. I belived that unless he changed his approach, he was going to be vulnerable to American League pitchers who had thorough scouting reports on how to get him out.

That was my opinion at the time of the signing. I believe I made my opinion clear. And this offseason, once again, I hope hie is changing his approach to hitting.