White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM
WSI Regular

I dont understand what Minny is doing but I like it from a Sox perspective. They draw 3 million fans and they operate like the Pirates. You would think they would spend some $ on a free agent pitcher. Twinkees appear to be a lock for 5th place in 2013.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I'd definitely rank Michael Brantley ahead of Revere. Austin Jackson #1. If you include De Aza in the "young centerfielder" discussion, Revere probably slides to 4th best in the division.

I think if Minnesota had offered Revere to the Sox for De Aza, Hahn would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. Don't you?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I think if Minnesota had offered Revere to the Sox for De Aza, Hahn would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. Don't you?
Trade value doesn't necessarily equal actual value. Right now, I could probably count the number of pitchers I would trade Chris Sale for straight up on one hand, but that doesn't mean there's only 3-4 guys in the world I would start ahead of him if the Sox were playing Game 7 of the World Series today.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Trade value doesn't necessarily equal actual value. Right now, I could probably count the number of pitchers I would trade Chris Sale for straight up on one hand, but that doesn't mean there's only 3-4 guys in the world I would start ahead of him if the Sox were playing Game 7 of the World Series today.
Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that Revere is better than De Aza.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
You think so? The long term potential is obviously greater for Revere than De Aza but if we're talking RIGHT NOW, I don't know if it's that clear cut
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I dont understand what Minny is doing but I like it from a Sox perspective. They draw 3 million fans and they operate like the Pirates. You would think they would spend some $ on a free agent pitcher. Twinkees appear to be a lock for 5th place in 2013.
There's more to team revenue than box office receipts. I've been told that the Twins' total broadcasting revenue (radio and TV combined) are less than the Yankees' radio contract alone.

Ryan is back in charge of the front office, and apparently feels the need to re-tool.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's goofy, but I like this deal much better than the Span deal. Revere is nice, but always seemed a little too over-hyped. Hell of a defensive player though.

I guess we'll see if Hicks can handle the pressure. He's the man.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
There's more to team revenue than box office receipts. I've been told that the Twins' total broadcasting revenue (radio and TV combined) are less than the Yankees' radio contract alone.

Ryan is back in charge of the front office, and apparently feels the need to re-tool.
Yep, all the real money is in TV and Radio.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
At this moment, De Aza is a better player. He pretty much does everything Revere does but hits for way more power. Gotta give an edge to Revere in speed and defense however, it's not like De Aza is a slouch in those two categories. Upside and youth go to Revere but if you are asking who is the better player right now, it is definitely De Aza. Also, the original point of my post was to counter the Twins fan who said Revere was the "best young talent in the midwest". Last season, Revere was only the 3rd best young CF in the AL Central and 4th best CF overall.

De Aza 2012 Stats:
.281 avg
9 HRs
50 RBI
29 Doubles
6 Triples
26 Stolen Bases
147 Hits
81 Runs scored
.760 OPS

Ben Revere 2012 Stats:
.294 avg
0 HRs
32 RBI
13 Doubles
6 Triples
40 Stolen Bases
150 Hits
70 Runs scored
.675 OPS
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
So they trade Span and now Revere. Cupboard is pretty bare in that Twinkee outfield now:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...en-revere.html
They are probably making room for Hicks.

For the life of me I can't understand why Hicks gets rated so high every year. He just hasn't produced at all in the Minors, yet he's always considered a Top 100 prospect. He's not that young anymore either.

I think the Twins long term have some nice looking players that could end up in the outfield (Buxton, Adam Brett Walker), but those guys are years away.

I thought they got rid of Span to make room for Revere, which makes this move very puzzling