White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
This tweet was posted on soxtalk, per DKnobler:

https://twitter.com/DKnobler/status/276415695493943296

White Sox talked to Chavez before signing Keppinger, but Chavez preferred Arizona.

Good to hear at least they tried.

Chavez would have provided more pop and from the left side which we will now need if AJ leaves.

But I'll take Keppinger over Youk/Morel.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fun Fact:
Keppinger has fewer career Ks and the same # of HRs as Dunn had last season.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Just going by what I read. He plays 3 positions, but isn't good at any. I do agree that he's the type of hitter the team can use. 3 years is just excessive. Apparently they approached Chavez, but he didn't want to play here. Which makes me dislike the deal less.
I know it doesn't mean much, but his career fielding percentages at 2b, 3b, SS and 1b are all above league average while his range factors are on the low side of average. Seems solid to me, but you can't really draw a definitive conclusion from those stats. His ratings at third base last year were all well above average, the first time he played more than a dozen games at the position. At worst, he seems like he would make a very strong utility player, and his contract to me is well within in the range for a strong utility player these days.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
WSI Prelate

He's bad defensively, but he'll be our best bench bat and better than anything we had last year.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Keppinger's signing looks like he'll be the starting 3B (no way do you pay that much money to a bench player).

I'm...okay with this. I mean, considering how bad the 3B market is.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM
WSI Personality

Underwhelming, but seems like Hahn whiffed on Chavez and we were painted into a (hot) corner.

Go Sox!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Not sure if I like the length of the deal, but that's why I'm not the GM. If he's as good a contact hitter as Youk, I'll be happy.
Youkilis' strike out %: 18.5
Keppinger's strike out %: 6.4

So yeah, you should be happy.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
(no way do you pay that much money to a bench player).
I don't know about that. Depends what kind of a bench player you are talking about. If he were a bench player, he would probably be in a super utility role where he might still start eighty or more games, especially with Dunn in the lineup. We would be better off with a slap hitter such as Keppinger at DH against lefties than Dunn who is completely worthless against them. The Sox could rest Konerko by DH'ing against lefties and have Keppinger at first.

Say somehow Morel rebounds to the point where he would be worthwhile or Lopez emerges to take over third, it would still be well worth it to pay Keppinger four million a year, as he could start forty or fifty games at DH(or first with Konerko at DH) and an equal amount in the infield. He would not be worth that kind of money only if the Sox had someone in the system who could fill the same role, which the Sox clearly do not.

It all comes down to need, and the Sox need a guy like Keppinger considering he can be inserted into the lineup based on matchups at three positions where the Sox could use his bat. The Sox have open third base, a second baseman who has his share of struggles and a DH who can't hit lefties. We just went through a season that clearly demonstrated the lack of a quality hitter off the bench to come in start during stretches as needed can hurt the team big time. If a guy can step in and produce for half the lineup, surely he is worth half of what a typical starting player would be paid.

Personally, I see him getting the bulk of playing time at third this year and then moving into a role such as I described as hopefully Lopez will be the long term answer at third.

Last edited by TheVulture; 12-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
WSI Regular

I like the fact that he would rather play in Chicago than for more money in NY:

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter), the Yankees bid higher than the White Sox for Jeff Keppinger, but the utility infielder chose Chicago.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#2Qxy6KbogXt3EWMy.99
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I like the fact that he would rather play in Chicago than for more money in NY:

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter), the Yankees bid higher than the White Sox for Jeff Keppinger, but the utility infielder chose Chicago.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#2Qxy6KbogXt3EWMy.99
I think someone here may have mentioned this, or maybe it was another board, but I suspect the fact that when ARod comes back, he will basically be out of a job probably played a role in that, too. Jeter at SS, Cano at 2B and Texiera at 1B doesn't leave anywhere else for Keppinger to play once ARod is back, but the bench. With the Sox it looks like the starting 3B job is his to lose. Plus, the rumors are that AJ Pierzynski might be a Yankee, and no one wants to be in a clubhouse with him.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
WSI Prelate

I like Keppinger as a hitter. He makes contact, puts the ball in play. He doesn't strike out much by today's standards. I liked what I saw of him with the Giants in 2011. I think he would make a pretty good No. 2 hitter, especially behind a good and fast leadoff man. I hope my concerns about his defense prove unfounded.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
WSI Personality

Also, he has a couple of ties to our clubhouse already. He played 2 years with Dunn in Cincy, and he's a Georgia Bulldog, like Gordo.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Underwhelming, but seems like Hahn whiffed on Chavez and we were painted into a (hot) corner.

Go Sox!
How do you whiff on someone when that person doesn't want to play here?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
WSI Guru

Sox didn't have many options so this signing is OK by me.

Lip
Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
WSI Guru

Keppinger's strengths are his versatility and the fact that he hits the **** out of left-handed pitching.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2012&t=b

He batted .376 with an OPS over .900 against LHP last season. He's a career .333 hitter against LHP.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/