Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
WSI Guru

Default Sox Seek More Offensive Balance...

According to Hahn. Wise decision, Rick:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,235471.story

Lip
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

They need guys who get on base. Far too many low OBP guys in the lineup.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
They need guys who get on base. Far too many low OBP guys in the lineup.
Bingo. I don't care if you don't buy into OBP as a great indicator of offensive value--this team needs guys who can get on.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
WSI High Priest

We've all long known that. Let's see how they accomplish that balance.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM
WSI Personality

If it's not going to be through free agency then you have to give up something of value to get a good return. We are pretty limited in that regard due to age, contracts, ect. I guess Jones and Tank would be our most valuable pieces.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Bingo. I don't care if you don't buy into OBP as a great indicator of offensive value--this team needs guys who can get on.
Agreed. We have too many low average, low OBP guys in our lineup (and it will be even worse if Flowers takes over for Dunn). Last year we had one guy with over 100 ABs and an OBP over .350 and only four guys who hit over .270, if AJ leaves that would leave three guys who hit over .270; and I am still not so sure I trust Rios' consistency.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Zero flexibility Hahn, Zero.

Balance would mean you would have to move 4-5 guys. Not gonna happen.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

I assume these thoughts Hahn has are for the more distant future, not next year.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
WSI High Priest

All in with an unbalanced team might be why Hahn has the job. And I'm sticking to that story until I'm talked out of it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Talk is cheap. Sox management has been telling us for years about their desire for more offensive balance. It's kind of like how Ozzie used to say year after year that this team needs to get better at fundamentals.....but then nothing ever changed.

Just empty words. I'll believe it when I see it. At least I'll give Hahn the benefit of the doubt since he's new. But, he's got his work cut out for him. I don't think KW left him with much flexibility to work with.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
WSI High Priest

There is room for a few fixes. I think we're all OK with the job DeAza has done last year, though my only question about him is if he hits leadoff or #2 going forward.

If Youk is gone, that leaves a gaping hole in the 2 spot, and it seems that it would be more cost effective to get an average speed/on-base guy to lead off (with DeAza at #2) than it would be to get an above-average contact hitter with some speed and a little pop. I've mentioned Polanco and Keppinger as lower cost alternatives for 3B/#2 in other posts, but I'd hope for someone younger and better going down the road.

Dunn seems to do better in #3, leave him there. Pretty doubtful that he's moved, but it would solve a ton of issues.

Paul at #4 and Rios at #5 are set for another year.

Alexei at #6 could be a good trade chip, especially if the Sox think Carlos Sanchez is ready.

#7-9 Viciedo, Flowers and Beckham are the prime trade chips. If the Sox can improve run production (not just a few homers and little else) in the lower half of the order, that would make a big difference. I doubt Flowers will be given a full-time role unless he can hit better, and has a better chance of being moved than sticking as a full-time regular.

Would love A.J. to come back and plug a hole for a year, but that doesn't sound too likely right now.

Last edited by russ99; 12-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
There is room for a few fixes. I think we're all OK with the job DeAza has done last year, though my only question about him is if he hits leadoff or #2 going forward.

If Youk is gone, that leaves a gaping hole in the 2 spot, and it seems that it would be more cost effective to get an average speed/on-base guy to lead off (with DeAza at #2) than it would be to get an above-average contact hitter with some speed and a little pop. I've mentioned Polanco and Keppinger as lower cost alternatives for 3B/#2 in other posts, but I'd hope for someone younger and better going down the road.

Dunn seems to do better in #3, leave him there. Pretty doubtful that he's moved, but it would solve a ton of issues.

Alexei at #6 could be a good trade chip, especially if the Sox think Carlos Sanchez is ready.

#7-9 Viciedo, Flowers and Beckham are the prime trade chips. If the Sox can improve run production (not just a few homers and little else) in the lower half of the order, that would make a big difference. I doubt Flowers will be given a full-time role unless he can hit better, and has a better chance of being moved than sticking as a full-time regular.

Would love A.J. to come back and plug a hole for a year, but that doesn't sound too likely right now.
This thread is basically about improving the team's obp. You want to accomplish that by getting rid of Dunn and Flowers while keeping AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Dunn has no business batting 3rd, put Rios there with Dunn 4th and PK 5th. I would rather have PK batting 4th but this breaks it up a little. If AJ and Youk are not re-signed I expect some big trade which will change things.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 12-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
This thread is basically about improving the team's obp. You want to accomplish that by getting rid of Dunn and Flowers while keeping AJ?
Dunn only put up a .333 OBP last year and I would be stunned if Flowers put up much more than AJ's OBP.

While the White Sox need to improve their OBP I think they also need to improve their batting average. They might have five guys in their lineup who hit below .260.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Anybody seen any info on where AJ might be getting some free agent interest? It sure would be a lot more strategic for the Sox to make a move if they know he's heading out of the AL, or--at least--the division. I know I don't want to see that guy catching against us for 18 games a season...