White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM
WSI Guru

This past season the Sox lost 17 games where they allowed the opponent three runs or less.

Lip
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This past season the Sox lost 17 games where they allowed the opponent three runs or less.

Lip
... and how does that compare to the rest of the league?

Stat's basically meaningless without any context.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
WSI Guru

You sound like Kittle.

Not comparing anything, just answering Frater's point.

You can make of it whatever you will... all I know is that I couldn't care less how many games the Yankees lost like that (who made the playoffs) or the Tigers (who made the playoffs) or the A's (who made the playoffs)...all I care about are the White Sox.

You hold a team to three runs or less unless you are going up against an "ace" pitcher like say a Verlander or a Sabathia...you win the game. Period.

The Sox offense has been so inconsistent, so 'home run or nothing, so frustrating that they have lost a ton of these type games over the past decade.

All you have to do is see the results against a Royals staff this year that was among the worst in the league in a lot of categories to understand how this cripples the team.

I don't have the answer for it other than the Sox have to get better players, guys who don't hit .230, .250, .202...but that's easier said than done.

Lip
Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Ineffective pitching.
From the time when the Sox were up 3 games with 16 to go through the end of the season, the offense averaged 3.5625 runs per game, with 6 of those games scoring 2 or fewer runs. There were a total of 13 starting pitchers in the AL last year who had an ERA under that mark. So unless we are going to trot out the best pitching staff since the 90s Braves, I would blame lack of offense as the biggest contributor to the Sox' collapse that prevented them from making the playoffs.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The Sox offense has been so inconsistent, so 'home run or nothing, so frustrating that they have lost a ton of these type games over the past decade.

All you have to do is see the results against a Royals staff this year that was among the worst in the league in a lot of categories to understand how this cripples the team.

I don't have the answer for it other than the Sox have to get better players, guys who don't hit .230, .250, .202...but that's easier said than done.

Lip
I agree with this and am willing to take some lumps for a few years while the Sox retool and go in a better direction offensively.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Arencibia is an interesting trade possibility but the Jays now have M. Izturis and E. Bonofacio to play second. They don't need Beckham.
Bonafacio is a swing player and can play just about anywhere on the diamond. He is not a 2B only and I doubt Toronto is viewing him as such. He plays 3B, SS, 2B, and outfield. He gives Toronto a lot of trade flexibility if they still feel like wheeling and dealing because he can cover a lot of positions.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Bonafacio is a swing player and can play just about anywhere on the diamond. He is not a 2B only and I doubt Toronto is viewing him as such. He plays 3B, SS, 2B, and outfield. He gives Toronto a lot of trade flexibility if they still feel like wheeling and dealing because he can cover a lot of positions.
They signed Melky Cabrera today, so he'll take up one of those corner OF spots.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
You mean the same David Ortiz who hit over .300 the last two years with OPS's of .953 and 1.024? Great comparison. The only thing he produced less of than Dunn the last two years was boos, groans, clinched chests and cool breezes.
This isn't 2004 David Ortiz we are talking about. The 2012 version is 37 years old, de-juiced, and hurt all the time. This Ortiz cannot play the field during interleague games and despite all of this, he got a 2 year extension for almost the same money Dunn is earning. I made the comparison based upon left handed hitting DHs making similar money to illustrate a point that GMs wouldn't hesitate to commit to 2 years of Dunn's salary to add left handed 40HRs, 100RBIs, and 100walks to their lineup. There aren't many left handed DHs with Dunn's power production. I stand by my comparison.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Scott Merkins' Inbox

Pierzynski: The White Sox want Pierzynski back, and he has made it clear he wants to come back.

Flowers: If Flowers isn't penciled in as the team's starter or backing up Pierzynski, where a working bond has been formed, then he doesn't seem to really make sense with the White Sox.

Floyd: Teams win titles on pitching, so a valuable veteran hurler such as Floyd won't be given up because they have a perceived excess. It would indicate to me that the White Sox have the ultimate trust in the untested pitchers in their system, such as Andre Rienzo and Simon Castro, if Floyd is moved and no other veteran starter is added.

Morel: His back improved, to the point of Morel getting consistent at-bats with Triple-A Charlotte. Until Morel gets out on the field in February in Arizona, the White Sox won't totally add him into the equation.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...s_cws&c_id=cws
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Scott Merkins' Inbox

Pierzynski: The White Sox want Pierzynski back, and he has made it clear he wants to come back.

Flowers: If Flowers isn't penciled in as the team's starter or backing up Pierzynski, where a working bond has been formed, then he doesn't seem to really make sense with the White Sox.

Floyd: Teams win titles on pitching, so a valuable veteran hurler such as Floyd won't be given up because they have a perceived excess. It would indicate to me that the White Sox have the ultimate trust in the untested pitchers in their system, such as Andre Rienzo and Simon Castro, if Floyd is moved and no other veteran starter is added.

Morel: His back improved, to the point of Morel getting consistent at-bats with Triple-A Charlotte. Until Morel gets out on the field in February in Arizona, the White Sox won't totally add him into the equation.

Good stuff. Interesting about Flowers.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

I still want to know if Carlos Sanchez can play 3B.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 PM
WSI Regular

I want to know how fast they will push Eric Grabe along. He has played 3rd base most of his life. And I think you will be surprised at his power numbers next season.

Although he was just in Rookie Ball, he is older, and can advance very quickly given the green light.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Scott Merkins' Inbox

I hope Morel is able to come back healthy. I know we won't know until spring training, but I'd rather pay Morel $500K to hit 15Hr's and .240 with solid defense then gibe Youk the $10MM or so per year he'll get for similar numbers. Youk will have a better OBP but the Sox have other holes that can be filled with the $9.5MM saved.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post

I hope Morel is able to come back healthy. I know we won't know until spring training, but I'd rather pay Morel $500K to hit 15Hr's and .240 with solid defense then gibe Youk the $10MM or so per year he'll get for similar numbers. Youk will have a better OBP but the Sox have other holes that can be filled with the $9.5MM saved.
Exactly. Youk has the veteran presence, but he isn't a reliable shot of run production anymore.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
If Morel could provide this for a season I think I could live with it. The problem is that I'm not sure he's got the potential for it.
Closed Thread