White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Just to be picky here, Viciedo is still young and just coming off his first full season in the majors. He will be 24 this coming season and slugged .444 last year. I expect that number as well as his BA to rise. He's never going to be Frank Thomas but he could be a guy who hits .250-270 with 35 HR pretty easily. That's worth something even if he does strike out a lot and doesn't walk much.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM
WSI Regular

I am surprised by the inclusion of Vicideo. He is 23, played one full season and still has a lot of potential / ceiling. I would think you have to build around a young core and I would include DV, Sale, and a few of the young pitchers (Quintanna, Jones, Reed maybe Santiago).

I agree his plate discipline is not where it should be but I would take the bet he can improve because he still has developing power.

I believe we would come to regret a trade of Viciedo.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

To say Viciedo had an underwhelming year at the plate is laughable. 23 year old rookies with those numbers don't grow on trees anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
To say Viciedo had an underwhelming year at the plate is laughable. 23 year old rookies with those numbers don't grow on trees anymore.
It isn't so much the numbers as it is projectability. His power is great, his hands are great and his swing is VIOLENT. But he doesn't project to be a high OBP guy, which limits any likelyhood of being a .850+ OPS guy, plus his strike outs. I personally think he could be an awesome 5th or 6th hitter, but I don't think he is going to have the discipline to hit 3 or 4. Great complimentary piece but never part of a great core.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It isn't so much the numbers as it is projectability. His power is great, his hands are great and his swing is VIOLENT. But he doesn't project to be a high OBP guy, which limits any likelyhood of being a .850+ OPS guy, plus his strike outs. I personally think he could be an awesome 5th or 6th hitter, but I don't think he is going to have the discipline to hit 3 or 4. Great complimentary piece but never part of a great core.
I agree. I do think he'll develop more patience though. He has a history of doing so. You just don't turn away a guy with those tools who's already a pretty good player, despite being relatively early in his development.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Just to be picky here, Viciedo is still young and just coming off his first full season in the majors. He will be 24 this coming season and slugged .444 last year. I expect that number as well as his BA to rise. He's never going to be Frank Thomas but he could be a guy who hits .250-270 with 35 HR pretty easily. That's worth something even if he does strike out a lot and doesn't walk much.
I agree. Viciedo should be kept around. He'll get better and provide value at a good price point. This is even with arbi raises.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Might want to check the second part again. His OPS was almost 100 points higher and he is $8 million a year cheaper. As for the age gap, it is a whole 7 months.
Last year was a career year for Willingham in almost every category. Dunn has been a far better power hitter throughout his career.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Last year was a career year for Willingham in almost every category. Dunn has been a far better power hitter throughout his career.
As much as I'd like to see Dunn moved, outside of his first 51 games this year, Dunn has put up a line of .174/.298/.345 since joining the Sox. Willingham would be much easier to trade, I doubt anyone would be interested in Dunn. He's been god awful.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Might want to check the second part again. His OPS was almost 100 points higher and he is $8 million a year cheaper. As for the age gap, it is a whole 7 months.
Wow, 1 whole year in a career of ****tiness.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Does Beckham have much value at this point?
Sox would be better off keeping him as their utility infielder unless some team wants to overpay for him.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Wow, 1 whole year in a career of ****tiness.
For a guy who critiques posts as much as you do, you should knowhe has had 2 pretty good years in a row, while Dunn's numbers the last 2 years haven't been good. There is no way a team would find Dunn more attractive at $30 million than Willingham for $14 million the next 2 years. I know you will have some smart ass response, but you are wrong. Willingham has a lifetime .845 OPS,and has never had a season with as low of an OPS Dunn put up this year during his career when he has made at least 30 plate appearances.,

Last edited by dickallen15; 11-09-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Comcast SportsNet
No secret about it, WhiteSox want to lock up Kevin Youkilis. Story from @DanHayesCSN. http://cmcst.sn/aabmU2

Hahn plans to continue discussions with Youkilis’ agent, Joe Bick, as well as further explore potential trades.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Comcast SportsNet
No secret about it, WhiteSox want to lock up Kevin Youkilis. Story from @DanHayesCSN. http://cmcst.sn/aabmU2

Hahn plans to continue discussions with Youkilis’ agent, Joe Bick, as well as further explore potential trades.
Considering the 3B free agent market and the lack of a good 3B on the farm, it's no wonder Hahn is trying to sign Youkilis.

Now if only Pierzynski could be locked up...

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Considering the 3B free agent market and the lack of a good 3B on the farm, it's no wonder Hahn is trying to sign Youkilis.
If they strike out on bringing Youk back, I wouldn't be surprised if Hahn tried to pry Chase Headley loose from the Padres. Also, if the Sox lose out on AJ, they will need another left handed stick in that lineup too. Headley would fill both 3B and the left handed stick we need. The Padres are also a team we have dealt with many times in recent years. The Giants and Dodgers seem poised to dominate that division for the next few years so it would make sense for the Padres to listen to trade offers for Chase. I've read recently that Padres management doesn't "envision" trading Headley but they also haven't made any progress on an extension for him and he will be an unrestricted FA in 2014. It would probably require the Sox to put together an attractive package of players. (*patiently waits for snide WSI comment that we have nothing of value to trade*) The only downside to getting Headley would be that despite his high offensive production, he would be yet another high strikeout addition to the lineup.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
If they strike out on bringing Youk back, I wouldn't be surprised if Hahn tried to pry Chase Headley loose from the Padres.
I just don't think the Padres are going to trade him. They've traded Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez. I think they're going to lock Headley up. At some point you have to sell tickets.
Closed Thread