White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Don't forget the 400 strikeouts.
Blatant hyperbole!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Eric Chavez had himself a nice comeback season.

Would he be someone to kick the tires on?

Perhaps 100- 110 games at 3B?
This was the 1st season Chavez has hit the 100 game plateau since 2006 so I'd think that's being a bit optimistic
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This was the 1st season Chavez has hit the 100 game plateau since 2006 so I'd think that's being a bit optimistic
Also, Chavez fits our usual profile of a low average, homer/strikeout hitter and we need some variety in the lineup.

What would be optimal is a .280+ hitter with some pop, a patient hitter who hits to all fields and can run a little and field at least league average.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Also, Chavez fits our usual profile of a low average, homer/strikeout hitter and we need some variety in the lineup.

What would be optimal is a .280+ hitter with some pop, a patient hitter who hits to all fields and can run a little and field at least league average.
Uh, what? Chavez hit .281/.343/.496 last year with only 59 K and 16 HR in 313 PA. All of this while playing in a very HR friendly Yankee Stadium. I think he has reinvented himself offensively to be more of a role player and not a line-up carrying slugger.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
---
As for 3B, Mark Reynolds is available. While we don't need another slow, high strike out, power hitter is his offense that much worse then Youk's?

Bob
Mark Reynolds is an absolutely awful defensive 3rd baseman; so bad that he was moved to 1B; and sucked there also.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, what? Chavez hit .281/.343/.496 last year with only 59 K and 16 HR in 313 PA. All of this while playing in a very HR friendly Yankee Stadium. I think he has reinvented himself offensively to be more of a role player and not a line-up carrying slugger.
That would fit nicely in our lineup.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Blatant hyperbole!!!
Not at all. Four hundred strikeouts between them would not be out of the question, since Dunn will go well over 200 all by himself. With Flowers being an everyday player, 350 strikeouts between them would be fairly conservative, and 400 a not unreasonable number.

You'll note that nowhere did I make an idiotic statement like "I would strike out less than Flowers and Dunn."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
That would fit nicely in our lineup.
I agree, problem is expecting Chavez to play 1/2 the season is a real roll of the dice.

If the Sox could find a guy whose maybe not quite 100% ready to play 3B everyday at the MLB level, then Chavez is a real nice addition. You bring in Chavez to be your 3B most of the time, find a utility IF who can play a little 3B to spell him 1-2 times per week, and then you have your new guy in Charlotte waiting if (when) he needs to spend some time on the DL.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Not at all. Four hundred strikeouts between them would not be out of the question, since Dunn will go well over 200 all by himself. With Flowers being an everyday player, 350 strikeouts between them would be fairly conservative, and 400 a not unreasonable number.

You'll note that nowhere did I make an idiotic statement like "I would strike out less than Flowers and Dunn."
Lol. Now I'm an idiot.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I agree, but it would like to believe Flowers would strike out less frequently as an everyday player because it would be easier for him to maintain his timing at the plate. I'm not so sure that is the case anymore.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Well; sure. Sox could use about three of those kind of hitters -- preferably all with club friendly contracts!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I agree, but it would like to believe Flowers would strike out less frequently as an everyday player because it would be easier for him to maintain his timing at the plate. I'm not so sure that is the case anymore.
When he was a regular at Charlotte, in 196 games over 3 seasons he struck out 237 times. I guess he will be a 1+ SO per game guy.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
When he was a regular at Charlotte, in 196 games over 3 seasons he struck out 237 times. I guess he will be a 1+ SO per game guy.
For CATCHER we need a guy with heft of Ed Herrman, the HRs or Carlton Fisk, the heart of Miguel Olivo, and the hustle of Brian Downing.

For 3rd Base we need in one player the hands of Crede, the power of Melton, and the clutch of Ventura (the player).

Do these players exist in MLB or high minors?
Trade Floyd and a package to get them, shed AJ, Youk, dead meat old wood.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 PM
WSI Personality

Assuming Flowers is expected to be a major contributor next year, who is going to be backing him up? Gimenez? Or do we go out and get a guy like Kelly Shoppach to split time behind the plate?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Mark Reynolds is an absolutely awful defensive 3rd baseman; so bad that he was moved to 1B; and sucked there also.
Reynolds actually played quite well at 1st base after he made the move over.