White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Default My random Sox thoughts about this off season

---I'm aware it's a long off season but having read Hahn's early comments about bringing back AJ and Youk, I am beginning to wonder if these are the right moves. The team won 85 games last year with this team. Outside of hopefully adding Danks back into the mix, I don't see how this puts the team over the top.

Of course I'm assuming that bringing the two of them back eats up most of the Sox remaining budget thus leaving little room to improve the bench or bullpen. These guys are past their primes. And I also know the FA Class is thin and thus most of the players will be over paid.

AJ will be 37 next year and is coming of a career year, in which he faded terribly in Sept. Youk had a great first 3 weeks with us, but I'm not impressed by the numbers he put up. He didn't exactly like the world on fire in September. A healthy Brent Morel (a big question mark) could hit better then .240, give you the 15-20 HR's Youk would give you play better D.

And what is the gap in numbers of Tyler Flowers versus an aging AJ? I always have doubts about players having their best years in their free agent years. It's hard to judge Tyler by last year as he didn't play more then 2-3 games in a week. But I am confident in saying AJ won't produce in 2013 like he did in 2012.

Why not give the job to Flowers or go after Mike Napoli? As for 3B, Mark Reynolds is available. While we don't need another slow, high strike out, power hitter is his offense that much worse then Youk's?

---Does anyone else think the Sox will trade Floyd? I'm betting he's not on the opening day roster. Trading him could solve one the problems listed above, but on the flipside we can go from 6 to 4 starters pretty quickly.

---I am fine with trading Dunn or Rios if it 1. fills a hole or two right away for 2013, and 2. we can then use the money to strengthen the bullpen or bench. Can Rios have two solid seasons in a row?

---2013 is the last chance for Gordo. If he doesn't hit (and he did turn it on this September) I think it's time to say adios or at make him your super utility player.

---Lastly, I think the Sox need to find a closer or back up closer. I'm hoping Addison Reed grows into the role but he makes things way to close right now. Feel free to have some 1-2-3 innings once in awhile.

Bob
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
... As for 3B, Mark Reynolds is available. While we don't need another slow, high strike out, power hitter is his offense that much worse then Youk's? ...
The short answer is yes.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
Does anyone else think the Sox will trade Floyd? I'm betting he's not on the opening day roster. Trading him could solve one the problems listed above, but on the flipside we can go from 6 to 4 starters pretty quickly. Bob
According to this article from the San Francisco Chronicle, the Sox might have some interest in A's free agent Brandon McCarthy. If the Sox were to sign McCarthy, I could see the Sox dealing Floyd to address some other need.

At the end of the season, Floyd did look awfully good. But we have seen good stretches from Floyd before. It is not clear whether he can have sustained success.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
WSI Prelate

What's that saying about repeating the same thing that hasn't worked multiple times?

Ye, apply that here.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
What's that saying about repeating the same thing that hasn't worked multiple times?

Ye, apply that here.
If at first you dont succeed, try, try again?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
WSI Personality

Default 2013

The White Sox only finished a few games behind the Tigers in 2012. If we upgrade the team a bit this offseason I don't see why we can't get into the playoffs in 2013. I hope that Dunn is not with the team. If we can get a third baseman for him I would move him in a heartbeat. I'm much more upbeat about the 2013 season than what I was last year at this time. I didn't expect the White Sox to contend in 2012 like they did. If we add a few pieces we can have a successful 2013.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

With the flexibility the Sox have on the starting pitching staff (5 good starters, and a few promising arms in the minors) and a young capable bullpen, I'd really like to see Hahn be proactive this year in trades and a few relatively inexpensive free agents.

Regardless of the success we had this year, the core of the team is getting older and some of them are flawed hitters. I wouldn't be averse to deal one or two and bring in some quality young talent at positions of need.

IMO, the worst path the Sox can follow is bring back the primarily same team as last year and plug Flowers in at C and Morel in at 3B, which only further weakens our poor situational/pressure hitting offense.

Another big issue is getting a capable bench. It would be nice to have guys that Robin can put in a day or two each week and not have our main players wear down in September.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The White Sox only finished a few games behind the Tigers in 2012. If we upgrade the team a bit this offseason I don't see why we can't get into the playoffs in 2013. I hope that Dunn is not with the team. If we can get a third baseman for him I would move him in a heartbeat. I'm much more upbeat about the 2013 season than what I was last year at this time. I didn't expect the White Sox to contend in 2012 like they did. If we add a few pieces we can have a successful 2013.
The Tigers were underachievers the entire season and still won the division by a few games. Can we expect them to underachieve next season? We also don't know if they make any moves to improve their team.

The Sox need to decide if they are going to try and win now or start building towards the future.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I agree that the Tigers underachieved for most of (if not all of) the regular season. I am admittedly concerned about the Sox' chances in 2013. The Tigers have some pretty solid starting pitching and I am assuming right now that Victor Martinez will return and be very good for their lineup.

I am somewhat satisfied with the Sox' rotation in 2013, but the lineup holes are glaring. I am hoping that Sale and Quintana's experience this season will help them go deep into next year without the obvious tired arms they were showing in 2012. Hopefully Peavy can continue this year's success and if Danks can return to form, the White Sox will have quite a formidable rotation.

It's the hitting I'm worried about.

But, it's only November. You never know what can happen and what players the Sox will end up with to start the season.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
WSI Guru

I'd be surprised if Floyd wasn't traded myself as part of a deal for a 3rd baseman.

Lip
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post

Ye, apply that here.
I don't see what options the Sox have other than to add to the core that is already in place.

They have several veteran players with contracts that are tough to trade. They have little MLB-ready talent in the minor leagues.

Even if they wanted to overhaul the roster this offseason, I don't think they could.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
The Tigers were underachievers the entire season and still won the division by a few games. Can we expect them to underachieve next season? We also don't know if they make any moves to improve their team.

The Sox need to decide if they are going to try and win now or start building towards the future.
I think that decision has been made. The investment in Peavy is a clear sign the Sox are trying to win now. Whether they will be successful is an open question, but this is not going to be an offseason where the Sox starting looking toward 2015.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Right, the most important thing is pitching and they should be as good or better next year. Flowers will be an average offensive catcher but very good defensive catcher. Youk is replaceable at this point. If the Sox just add a piece or two here and there they are going to be a contender again I am sure. Nothings sure because of injuries, but I see no reason to not be optimistic next year. Even Robin will learn from his mistakes, which weren't all that many.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post

There are 2 wild card spots to be had also. The Sox, if the Tigers live up to the hype next year, should compete for one of them.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
I agree that the Tigers underachieved for most of (if not all of) the regular season. I am admittedly concerned about the Sox' chances in 2013. The Tigers have some pretty solid starting pitching and I am assuming right now that Victor Martinez will return and be very good for their lineup.

I am somewhat satisfied with the Sox' rotation in 2013, but the lineup holes are glaring. I am hoping that Sale and Quintana's experience this season will help them go deep into next year without the obvious tired arms they were showing in 2012. Hopefully Peavy can continue this year's success and if Danks can return to form, the White Sox will have quite a formidable rotation.

It's the hitting I'm worried about.

But, it's only November. You never know what can happen and what players the Sox will end up with to start the season.
The Tigers may have been underachievers in the division, but Cabrera had a career year. Fielder had a great year. Verlander had a great year. Scherzer had the best season of his career after getting off to a slow start. Young was probably every bit the player he was expected to be.

Meanhwile, the White Sox dealt with Konerko playing hurt for the seocnd half of the year, an offensive black hole hitting third and a jerry-rigged solution to an offensive black hole from third base. The opening day starter missed most of the season. Giving up on this team because Rios and Pierzyski may have had career years and still finished three games behind the Tigers is failing to look at the years Cabrera, Fielder and Verlander had for the Tigers while they could only finish three games ahead of the White Sox.

I would like to see the White Sox improve their offense and tweak their pitching. But with all the challenges the White Sox faced last year, they weren't that far behind a Tigers team that couldn't be said to have phoned the season in.