White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Blanco with another great defensive play in left.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
WSI Prelate

One game away. Feels good, man.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 PM
WSI High Priest

3-0. Giants pitching has been phenomenal in this series and really starting with Game 5 vs. the Cardinals.

In case you're wondering, the Tigers have already surpassed the fewest number of runs scored in a World Series. That was 2, scored by the Dodgers in the 1966 Series when they were swept by the Orioles.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 PM
WSI Personality

On the post game show, AJ was talking about the Tiger bats being dead and now they have to face Matt Cain in game four. He then sarcastically said, "good luck, guys".
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 PM
WSI Prelate

The Tigers had their chances. How do they not score after loading the bases with one out and the top of the order up? Twice before they had two on and one out and grounded into double plays. The Giants played great defense (except for a meaningless two-outs-bases-empty error), but the Tigers lost this game as much as they were beaten especially with Sanchez having one inexplicable inning in an otherwise usual great start against the Giants.

I thought during the LCSs that either the Cardinals or Giants would be able to handle the Tigers or Yankees with relative ease. It's odd, though, that the NL series were so competitive, with the Giants needed to win six elimination games to get to the World Series and could be looking to sweep the Tigers. Bad managing and coaching may have cost the Tigers Game 2, and tonight was a winnable game for the Tigers.

Now, Cain has a chance to win the championship game in the same season that he won the game that gave his team the NL title (after winning the deciding game in th NLCS), won the All-Star Game and pitched a perfect game.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
On the post game show, AJ was talking about the Tiger bats being dead and now they have to face Matt Cain in game four. He then sarcastically said, "good luck, guys".
Cain's only surrendered more than 3 runs once since August 6, and that was against the Cubs.

Good luck indeed.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The Tigers had their chances. How do they not score after loading the bases with one out and the top of the order up? Twice before they had two on and one out and grounded into double plays. The Giants played great defense (except for a meaningless two-outs-bases-empty error), but the Tigers lost this game as much as they were beaten especially with Sanchez having one inexplicable inning in an otherwise usual great start against the Giants.

I thought during the LCSs that either the Cardinals or Giants would be able to handle the Tigers or Yankees with relative ease. It's odd, though, that the NL series were so competitive, with the Giants needed to win six elimination games to get to the World Series and could be looking to sweep the Tigers. Bad managing and coaching may have cost the Tigers Game 2, and tonight was a winnable game for the Tigers.

Now, Cain has a chance to win the championship game in the same season that he won the game that gave his team the NL title (after winning the deciding game in th NLCS), won the All-Star Game and pitched a perfect game.
What a year!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Is it just me, or is this ump's strike zone widening all of a sudden?
45 degrees does that to you. What happened to those big bats? Gonna miss baseball, but that doesn't mean I don't want this to end in four.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

Yes you can call me crazy but I think the White Sox would have put up a better showing in this low scoring series than the Tigers. The Tigers have been accustomed to winning big/dominating and not so much success in low scoring one run games against legit competition. But the White Sox have been a low scoring and somewhat successful ball club all summer. 1-0, 2-0 games are familiar territory and even late inning comebacks. The world series milieu would be just like playing KC for our team, no big deal. I sure hope Robin is paying attention to how to beat Detroit as we will be facing them several times in 2013. Maybe he can have a beer with Bochy during spring training and pick his brain.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Yes you can call me crazy but I think the White Sox would have put up a better showing in this low scoring series than the Tigers. The Tigers have been accustomed to winning big/dominating and not so much success in low scoring one run games against legit competition. But the White Sox have been a low scoring and somewhat successful ball club all summer. 1-0, 2-0 games are familiar territory and even late inning comebacks. The world series milieu would be just like playing KC for our team, no big deal. I sure hope Robin is paying attention to how to beat Detroit as we will be facing them several times in 2013. Maybe he can have a beer with Bochy during spring training and pick his brain.
The White Sox who played good baseball the first 2/3 of the season, perhaps... the White Sox who ran out of gas the entire month of September, not so much...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 AM
WSI Prelate

**** Detroit!

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
What a year!
Yeah, and some people scoffed when they gave him that extension. The guy is probably the most underrated pitcher in the game. Look at his numbers over the years. Lincecum has got all the press but Cain has been putting in work. His W/L record isn't that good some of the seasons but that is almost all on the Giants' subpar offenses. I hope he destroys the Tigers tomorrow. This series has been so fun to watch. I think I'll pick up the Giants championship shirt afterwards; I like to reward teams that vanquish ones I hate.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Sweep these bastards. That is all.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 AM
WSI Prelate

The Giants are winning with pitching, the same way they did in 2010.

If the Sox want to beat Detroit, they need better pitching.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
The Giants are winning with pitching, the same way they did in 2010.

If the Sox want to beat Detroit, they need better pitching.
They're also playing some really good defense. Even Crawford's error last night didn't come back to haunt them. Blanco in left has made some fantastic catches.

As others mentioned, Detroit has also blown a lot of chances. Quentin Berry gets his first start and was just a giant ball of suck last night. Grounds into a DP to end the third, K's with bases loaded and one out in the fifth, K's to end the seventh with one on.

Can't see the miracle comeback happening with the Giants pitching as well as they are. Detroit might be able to extend the series, but they're not going to swing the momentum enough to take four in a row.