White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hahn is considered more conservative in his baseball approach than Kenny was.

Lip
Well I think the Sox are entering a phase where they will have to take things back a notch financially and that means getting more out of younger cheaper players. The window they have left (if any) is closing fast. The next window will be a couple years away, but there's some promise in that window in terms of pitching if they can build a team around it.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hahn is considered more conservative in his baseball approach than Kenny was.

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well I think the Sox are entering a phase where they will have to take things back a notch financially and that means getting more out of younger cheaper players. The window they have left (if any) is closing fast. The next window will be a couple years away, but there's some promise in that window in terms of pitching if they can build a team around it.
More conservative meaning what, baseball or fiscally? In terms of drafting, the Sox used to be too conservative and not take enough risks on talent, no? Or just not taking on as many risky moves for veterans and via trades as KW has had?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 AM
WSI Personality

From a short conversation I had with John Danks a couple of years ago outside the Palmer House. It sounds like Rick did most of the negotiating already.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
You don't think Gar is lightyears better as a GM than Pax?
I sure haven't seen anything. Pax pulled the franchise out of a terrible hole, and all Gar has done is luck into a superstar.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

I always liked KW. He was kind of maverick and I liked that. I still think that to win as a mid-market team (which defines the Sox IMO) you have to take some risks and think outside the box. He definitely wasn't afraid to make some unorthodox moves. He struck out a lot, but hit a ton of homers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
More conservative meaning what, baseball or fiscally? In terms of drafting, the Sox used to be too conservative and not take enough risks on talent, no? Or just not taking on as many risky moves for veterans and via trades as KW has had?
You will not see the wild wheeling and dealing with Hahn. It's not like Hahn will be like Schueler, but he's definitely going to be more "boring" than KW.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
If you've ever met Rick Hahn, you'd know that he's not anyone's lackey, he's taking over and will put his own stamp on the organization.
I certainly hope so. We need a bit of a change moving forward.

Kenny has his strengths and weaknesses, I loved that he would more often than not go for it and persuade Jerry to make a move he wouldn't ordinarily do. I hope that he keeps that part of the gig.

Some of the other issues, like meddling with on-field management, being outspoken in the press, refusal to deal with certain agents, poor player development (especially pushing players not ready for the big leagues into full-time jobs) and poor return on some previously expensive investments hopefully will improve.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is a bit of a weird day for the franchise as I'm not really sure how to feel. KW will obviously still be around, but won't have as much of his hand in the day-to-day stuff. I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to and excited about turning the page on KW's tenure as GM and the beginning of a new era.

And for those saying KW will still have control over decisions, I'd suggest you guess again. Hahn has had a number of opportunities for other jobs and other interviews. If he didn't think he was getting full control as GM, he wouldn't be here.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
Hahn has had a number of opportunities for other jobs and other interviews.

What GM jobs did he turn down?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This is a bit of a weird day for the franchise as I'm not really sure how to feel. KW will obviously still be around, but won't have as much of his hand in the day-to-day stuff. I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to and excited about turning the page on KW's tenure as GM and the beginning of a new era.

And for those saying KW will still have control over decisions, I'd suggest you guess again. Hahn has had a number of opportunities for other jobs and other interviews. If he didn't think he was getting full control as GM, he wouldn't be here.
Considering JR said KW has final approval of major baseball decisions, there really is no need for anyone to guess again. Hahn will be doing the GM job but KW is still his boss.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Somebody wrote an article a few years ago saying Hahn would be the next big thing. Since then, everyone thinks he's the most awesomest gm candidate to ever get his awesome on.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Considering JR said KW has final approval of major baseball decisions, there really is no need for anyone to guess again. Hahn will be doing the GM job but KW is still his boss.

And Reinsdorf trumps both.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
He turned down an opportunity to interview with the Pirates and took his name out of consideration for the Cardinals job (both in 2007). In 2008 the White Sox wouldn't let him interview with the Mariners. Then in 2010 and 2011 he interviewed for the Mets and Angels. All I'm suggesting is that if he felt like he wasn't getting full control here, he's a guy that will continue to get those opportunities. Even though the Mets and Angels jobs didn't work out, I'm confident that other jobs would've presented themselves to him.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
He turned down an opportunity to interview with the Pirates and took his name out of consideration for the Cardinals job (both in 2007). In 2008 the White Sox wouldn't let him interview with the Mariners. Then in 2010 and 2011 he interviewed for the Mets and Angels. All I'm suggesting is that if he felt like he wasn't getting full control here, he's a guy that will continue to get those opportunities. Even though the Mets and Angels jobs didn't work out, I'm confident that other jobs would've presented themselves to him.
And as Gonzo said, completes five years of his candidacies as a GM in baseball circles. 5 years is a long time interviewing or not being allowed to be interviewed and coming up empty.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree with you here. Our best shot to win may be for Rios and Dunn to have great years and some guys like Beckham to step up.

I wonder if they're going to let AJ test the waters of FA and try things out with Flowers. This could be one position that really hurts us.