White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 48,064
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hahn is considered more conservative in his baseball approach than Kenny was.

Lip
Well I think the Sox are entering a phase where they will have to take things back a notch financially and that means getting more out of younger cheaper players. The window they have left (if any) is closing fast. The next window will be a couple years away, but there's some promise in that window in terms of pitching if they can build a team around it.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hahn is considered more conservative in his baseball approach than Kenny was.

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well I think the Sox are entering a phase where they will have to take things back a notch financially and that means getting more out of younger cheaper players. The window they have left (if any) is closing fast. The next window will be a couple years away, but there's some promise in that window in terms of pitching if they can build a team around it.
More conservative meaning what, baseball or fiscally? In terms of drafting, the Sox used to be too conservative and not take enough risks on talent, no? Or just not taking on as many risky moves for veterans and via trades as KW has had?
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Chrisaway Chrisaway is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Crest Hill/Joliet whatever
Posts: 1,217
Default

From a short conversation I had with John Danks a couple of years ago outside the Palmer House. It sounds like Rick did most of the negotiating already.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
GABP GABP is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You don't think Gar is lightyears better as a GM than Pax?
I sure haven't seen anything. Pax pulled the franchise out of a terrible hole, and all Gar has done is luck into a superstar.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,251
Default

I always liked KW. He was kind of maverick and I liked that. I still think that to win as a mid-market team (which defines the Sox IMO) you have to take some risks and think outside the box. He definitely wasn't afraid to make some unorthodox moves. He struck out a lot, but hit a ton of homers.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
More conservative meaning what, baseball or fiscally? In terms of drafting, the Sox used to be too conservative and not take enough risks on talent, no? Or just not taking on as many risky moves for veterans and via trades as KW has had?
You will not see the wild wheeling and dealing with Hahn. It's not like Hahn will be like Schueler, but he's definitely going to be more "boring" than KW.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,789
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
If you've ever met Rick Hahn, you'd know that he's not anyone's lackey, he's taking over and will put his own stamp on the organization.
I certainly hope so. We need a bit of a change moving forward.

Kenny has his strengths and weaknesses, I loved that he would more often than not go for it and persuade Jerry to make a move he wouldn't ordinarily do. I hope that he keeps that part of the gig.

Some of the other issues, like meddling with on-field management, being outspoken in the press, refusal to deal with certain agents, poor player development (especially pushing players not ready for the big leagues into full-time jobs) and poor return on some previously expensive investments hopefully will improve.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
DeadMoney DeadMoney is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,544
Default

This is a bit of a weird day for the franchise as I'm not really sure how to feel. KW will obviously still be around, but won't have as much of his hand in the day-to-day stuff. I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to and excited about turning the page on KW's tenure as GM and the beginning of a new era.

And for those saying KW will still have control over decisions, I'd suggest you guess again. Hahn has had a number of opportunities for other jobs and other interviews. If he didn't think he was getting full control as GM, he wouldn't be here.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
Hahn has had a number of opportunities for other jobs and other interviews.

What GM jobs did he turn down?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
This is a bit of a weird day for the franchise as I'm not really sure how to feel. KW will obviously still be around, but won't have as much of his hand in the day-to-day stuff. I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to and excited about turning the page on KW's tenure as GM and the beginning of a new era.

And for those saying KW will still have control over decisions, I'd suggest you guess again. Hahn has had a number of opportunities for other jobs and other interviews. If he didn't think he was getting full control as GM, he wouldn't be here.
Considering JR said KW has final approval of major baseball decisions, there really is no need for anyone to guess again. Hahn will be doing the GM job but KW is still his boss.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What GM jobs did he turn down?
Somebody wrote an article a few years ago saying Hahn would be the next big thing. Since then, everyone thinks he's the most awesomest gm candidate to ever get his awesome on.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Considering JR said KW has final approval of major baseball decisions, there really is no need for anyone to guess again. Hahn will be doing the GM job but KW is still his boss.

And Reinsdorf trumps both.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
DeadMoney DeadMoney is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What GM jobs did he turn down?
He turned down an opportunity to interview with the Pirates and took his name out of consideration for the Cardinals job (both in 2007). In 2008 the White Sox wouldn't let him interview with the Mariners. Then in 2010 and 2011 he interviewed for the Mets and Angels. All I'm suggesting is that if he felt like he wasn't getting full control here, he's a guy that will continue to get those opportunities. Even though the Mets and Angels jobs didn't work out, I'm confident that other jobs would've presented themselves to him.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
He turned down an opportunity to interview with the Pirates and took his name out of consideration for the Cardinals job (both in 2007). In 2008 the White Sox wouldn't let him interview with the Mariners. Then in 2010 and 2011 he interviewed for the Mets and Angels. All I'm suggesting is that if he felt like he wasn't getting full control here, he's a guy that will continue to get those opportunities. Even though the Mets and Angels jobs didn't work out, I'm confident that other jobs would've presented themselves to him.
And as Gonzo said, completes five years of his candidacies as a GM in baseball circles. 5 years is a long time interviewing or not being allowed to be interviewed and coming up empty.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well I think the Sox are entering a phase where they will have to take things back a notch financially and that means getting more out of younger cheaper players. The window they have left (if any) is closing fast. The next window will be a couple years away, but there's some promise in that window in terms of pitching if they can build a team around it.
I agree with you here. Our best shot to win may be for Rios and Dunn to have great years and some guys like Beckham to step up.

I wonder if they're going to let AJ test the waters of FA and try things out with Flowers. This could be one position that really hurts us.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.