White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
Giants win!

The Almighty Verlander takes the loss.
Yes I thought it was clever that the Giants did not use their #1 pitcher against Verlander, (more or less expecting to lose this one). Then the rest of the series Giants will enjoy favorable pitching matchups.

Robin Ventura ought to play close attention and take notes on the methods SF will be using to destroy Detroit, and use those same tools next year for White Sox victories.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Yes I thought it was clever that the Giants did not use their #1 pitcher
against Verlander, (more or less expecting to lose this one). Then the rest of the series Giants will enjoy favorable pitching matchups.

Robin Ventura ought to play close attention and take notes on the methods
SF will be using to destroy Detroit, and use those same tools next year for White Sox victories.
So Ventura's plan should be to use a lesser pitcher against Verlander because teams "destroy" Detroit that way? Brilliant!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
I've been to about 20 different cities for Sox games and Detroit has by far the rudest fans. Even the Tiger mascot threw a box of popcorn at me.
I've never had problems in the D. Last year during a rainy April Sox game at Comerica, Mrs. Hendu and I hit an upper deck bar to warm up and got into a shot drinking contest with some of the other fans. That was a blast and the only time I've seen Mrs. Hendu get "tipsy."

I'm pretty low-key though. Just wear a Sox hat and not a jersey or anything, and cheer loudly for the Sox but never get negative about the opponent or the city I'm in. So I've had a good time at every ball park I've visited fortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkleSox View Post
I would also say that Detroit fans of any sports visiting in Chicago are often ruder than the average visiting fan. Evidenced by many, many, many Sox/Tigers and Hawks/Wings games I've been to and finally my first Bears/Lions game on Monday.
I'd say the Yankees and Red Sox and even Cubs fans at the Cell are as bad. Can you blame Detroit fans for being rude though? I've been to Hawks games against an opponent other than the Wings, and the 'Detroit sucks' chant still breaks out. It goes both ways.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Sadly, that new deal MLB just signed with Fox will keep him around for awhile.
I know, and that seriously sucks ass.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Melky is a big reason why this game is in San Francisco.
And he also embarrassed himself and hurt his team with his suspension and website gaffe. So I guess what I meant is that the Giants have done a great job overcoming the loss of his bat and put that behind them as they could win another World Series.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Yes I thought it was clever that the Giants did not use their #1 pitcher
against Verlander, (more or less expecting to lose this one). Then the rest of the series Giants will enjoy favorable pitching matchups.

Robin Ventura ought to play close attention and take notes on the methods
SF will be using to destroy Detroit, and use those same tools next year for White Sox victories.
Matt Cain pitched in game 7 of the NLCS and wasn't available. If he was, he would've started last night. It wasn't cleaver, it's just the circumstances and resources that were available.

It's good to see Barry Zito somewhat earning his contract. IT only took about six years...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
I've been sick of Joe Buck since the 2005 post-season. Go the **** away already, loser!
Yes indeed. Who can forget his immortal call of Joe Crede's RBI double in the bottom of the 9th in game 2 of the '05 ALCS ??

"Off the wall." (heavy sigh)
"The White Sox win it." (heavier sigh, sounding dejected).

He is one of the greatest proponents for the "mute" button on a remote that I have ever heard.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Pablo Sandoval, I know this is only one game,
but IMO, you are a dominican Babe Ruth in training.
Way to go!!

This White Sox fan says
THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU!!

Sandoval-1,Tiggers-0.

GO GIANTS!!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
WSI Prelate

I love seeing Verlnader get beat up, especially with the way the announcers are building him up. I love seeing the announcers talk about how Verlander pitching to Zito is the most lopsided matchup imaginable just before Zito gets a two-out RBI single against Verlander. I love seeing Valverde get knocked around. Celebrate this. And I love seeing the Tigers lose.

It's only one game. The Giants won the first game at home. If the Tigers win tonight, they still have a chance to end the series in Detroit with Verlander pitching Game 5. The Giants won two of three in Detroit in interleague play last year with Zito throwing six shutout innings in the first game, but that was last year with a different Tigers rotation, Aaron Rowand leading off for the Giants, Chris Stewart catching for the Giants etc., and it was July.

Still, Verlander is supposed to be unbeatable. That's the way the Bay Area media was putting it during the A's series. The A's lost two of five to the Tigers, but won two of three in games that Verlander didn't start. When I saw Zito was pitching against Verlander in the opener, I cringed at the matchup. And the Tigers were the overmatched team on the field Wednesday night.

Tonight's game is the big game. Bumgarner seemed done in his last start. Hopefully his rest punctuated with help from his pitching coach on his delivery will make a big difference. And hopefully, Fister will be less of a challenge than Verlander. Cain and Voglesong will get starts in Detroit, but the Giants have been frustrated by Sanchez in the past.

Tonight's game is huge. San Francisco fans know that this could be the last game in AT&T this year, whether they get another parade or not. I hope they get a chance to enjoy it, just as Sox fans got a chance to enjoy the last game at the Cell in 2005.

I just hope they don't go off again chanting for Barry Mainilow.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
And he also embarrassed himself and hurt his team with his suspension and website gaffe. So I guess what I meant is that the Giants have done a great job overcoming the loss of his bat and put that behind them as they could win another World Series.
I can make a case San Francisco is a better team with Blanco in LF anyway. The Giants are a tremendous defensive team, a plus defender at every spot except 3B. And I would say Sandoval does enough offensively to make up for his deficiencies with the leather.

Melky is not a good outfielder at all. Blanco made two terrific defensive plays in LF in Game 1. I doubt Melky makes either of those plays. You wonder how the game would have changed if those catches don't get made.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
WSI Guru

Speaking of defense in LF, did anyone else get a chuckle out of Delmon Young's "throw" back into the infield on the RBI hit by Zito last night?

I'm pretty sure my two-year-old nephew could have made a stronger toss than that.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Speaking of defense in LF, did anyone else get a chuckle out of Delmon Young's "throw" back into the infield on the RBI hit by Zito last night?

I'm pretty sure my two-year-old nephew could have made a stronger toss than that.
I was LOL'ing at that, for sure. It looked something like intentional grounding!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
I was LOL'ing at that, for sure. It looked something like intentional grounding!!!
Love it - both of my most hated Tigers (Young and the cooked potato) doing poorly.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Willy Mayes on the mound.

MLB
2 heroes. 1 ceremonial first pitch: pic.twitter.com/xqc0tcnf
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Fister just took one in the head. Only the top of the head, but still not good.

edit: Still pitching. Good to see.