White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mostil View Post
Yes, indeed, except if you were at the Bears' NFC championship win in 2006(-7). Or any of the Bulls' three championships at home (some close games, but not close series). Or the Bears' NFC championship win in 1985(-6).
None of those Bulls games were blowouts or automatic wins, so I have no idea why you're including them in the discussion, and putting something in parenthesis doesn't make it any more factual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mostil
I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did." But I don't consider it a big deal that the Tigers did--or think that most Chicago fans have somehow gotten the shaft for not experiencing this.
Whether or not you "consider it a big deal" is irrelevant to the conversation.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
You know, Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS was a seven inning party...
Good point
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Neither do I, I just thought of it as interesting question or anecdote. As a Chicago sports fan, I think I've been pretty spoiled as I have seen all of my teams win titles, except for the Bears; and 8 titles in all. Fans in most cities can't say the same.
The period between Dec. 29, 1963 and Jan. 26, 1986 was long and barren. I'm happy for your generation that you got to skip that.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 PM
WSI's 2010 PTC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
None of those Bulls games were blowouts or automatic wins, so I have no idea why you're including them in the discussion, and putting something in parenthesis doesn't make it any more factual.
Fine, we'll go back to the Bears.

Quote:
Whether or not you "consider it a big deal" is irrelevant to the conversation.
But of course! The only thing that matters is that you think it "sucks" Tigers fans had a seven-inning party.

I know this site advertises itself for its pettiness, but I thought that was at least a little tongue-in-cheek. Life's too short to be so bitter about such trivial ****.

Peace out.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Spivack is correct. My point was to ask when the last time a Chicago team won a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did, who basically had a seven inning party on their home field knowing they were going to the World Series which is amazing way to win anything that most of us have never experienced.
Quote:
Fine, we'll go back to the Bears.

But of course! The only thing that matters is that you think it "sucks" Tigers fans had a seven-inning party.

I know this site advertises itself for its pettiness, but I thought that was at least a little tongue-in-cheek. Life's too short to be so bitter about such trivial ****.

Peace out.
Its much more important to jump down my throat over a comment that somehow, although factually correct, you deem unworthy of discussion. Don't really care what your angle is, but there's quite a bit more "trivial ****" on the interwebz to whine about than one cherry picked comment about one of the worst AL pennant winners in the last 40 years.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM
WSI Personality

Anybody else think that having the NLCS go to 7 games can hurt Detroit?

That's a long layover and could cool down the Tigers bats.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
WSI Guru

Spivak:

The 1992 Eastern Finals were in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

Lip
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 PM
WSI Personality

Game 7, Bears/Lions, Presidential debate, all happening tomorrow night. Good God.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
Anybody else think that having the NLCS go to 7 games can hurt Detroit?

That's a long layover and could cool down the Tigers bats.
I thought this myself. The 2007 Rockies won 21 out of 22 games sneaking into the playoffs and sweeping their way out of the first two rounds. Boston and Cleveland went 7 in the ALCS, and the Rockies had a 9 day layover before the World Series began. We know what happened then.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Spivak:

The 1992 Eastern Finals were in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

Lip
Thanks!

Quote:
Game 7, Bears/Lions, Presidential debate, all happening tomorrow night. Good God.
Yeah, I'll watch a replay of the debate, but don't know what to do w/ Bears and baseball!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And I have an LSAT class tomorrow so I might wind up missing all of it.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Two of those events will be talked to death by the media over the next several days.

Watch baseball.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I thought this myself. The 2007 Rockies won 21 out of 22 games sneaking into the playoffs and sweeping their way out of the first two rounds. Boston and Cleveland went 7 in the ALCS, and the Rockies had a 9 day layover before the World Series began. We know what happened then.
The Tigers are aware their 2006 team had a long wait for the Cardinals-Mets seven-game series to end. Many assumed that the Cardinals, who won only 83 games during the regular season, wouldn't do well against the Tigers, not just because they were drained from the NLCS, but because of the belief at the time of the superiority of the American League. The National League hadn't won a World Series game since 2003.

Verlander lost the first game. With his team down 3-1, Verlander lost Game 5. The dynamics of this World Series, though, would be different, if only because Leyland knows what went wrong in 2006. The Tigers are pretty much completely different. Verlander, I believe, is the only pitcher still with the team, and he has matured greatly. Infante may be the only position player, having just returned, and he didn't play a big role in the 2006 World Series. And I don't believe anyone seriously believes the Tigers have an edge simply because the American League is stronger
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Giants one out away.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did."
Well, we're 2 for 2 this year. I'm not sure how many times in the history of baseball it has occurred, but I cannot imagine a more fun experience than seeing your team win the pennant knowing they've got it wrapped up, at home, since the early innings of the game. That must be an incredible feeling.
Closed Thread