White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Clinch a championship, or a conference title? I remember the 2006 NFC title game as basically a party sending the Bears to the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter, though the game before that was close. Going back, the Bulls blew out the Heat in Game 5 of the 1997 East Finals, but every other clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed.
Hawks clinched at home against the Sharks in 2010. But it has been few and far between for Chicago fans.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 AM
WSI's 2010 PTC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwitt76 View Post
Hawks clinched at home against the Sharks in 2010. But it has been few and far between for Chicago fans.
The Bulls clinched three (1992, 1996, and 1997) of their six championships at home, no?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The World Series could be the Tigers (7th best team in the AL) versus the Cardinals (5th best team in the NL). All the Sox had to do was make the post-season. As I said earlier in this thread, it was the easiest path to the World Series in many years. It's a lost opportunity.

The other thing that sucks is that the Tigers had a 7-inning party in the clincher. When's the last time any Chicago team had a chance to clinch at home in that manner? Maybe the '85 Bears against the Rams in the NFC Championship?

I hope this pisses off the White Sox as much as it pisses me off, but I doubt it.
You would think it would. Having tasted one World Series, you'd think they'd want another. But you had Konerko saying not getting into the playoffs didn't mean the team had a failing season. 2012 was far from horrible, but that let down was awful. Let's see if they aren angry enough to do something this off season.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
But you had Konerko saying not getting into the playoffs didn't mean the team had a failing season. 2012 was far from horrible, but that let down was awful.
I can't speak for anyone else, but all i'm going to remember about 2012 is how they choked. In my mind, considering the opportunity they had, 2012 was a failure. The summer was a lot of fun, but the way it ended will be my lasting impression.

I guess furious isn't the right word, but if this doesn't light a fire in them heading into next season, something is wrong.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

I can't speak for anyone else, but all i'm going to remember about 2012 is how they choked. In my mind, considering the opportunity they had, 2012 was a failure. The summer was a lot of fun, but the way it ended will be my lasting impression.

I guess furious isn't the right word, but if this doesn't light a fire in them heading into next season, something is wrong.
Sure. I just wonder if this team has the resources to improve the lineup very much going into '14.

If Danks is healthy, the pitching staff will be fine. Floyd's uneven performance is forgivable as a #4 or #5. You know it's coming.

It's the lineup that is a problem. Some good defenders, but not a lot of walks, speed, or hits. There's not a lot ready in the farm either.

Budget is I believe in the $70 millions without arbitration raises and declining attendance.

We'll see what they can do to gain ten more wins.

We'll see what they can do.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Let's see if they aren angry enough to do something this off season.

Bah!!!!
"Message to all WSIers who think that Thomas will be a first-or-second ballot Hall of Famer-with guys like Telander holding the "Keys to the Kingdom" and openly campaigning against the DH-I will be kind and say You Are Dreaming. Thomas and his supporters are going to have to shout his case from the rooftops before the BBWAA finally gets the message. " -Some Dope on WSI, 2/13/2010. Whoops, that was me.
Then again, I think I have a promising career as a TV psychic. John Edward, watch out!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mostil View Post
The Bulls clinched three (1992, 1996, and 1997) of their six championships at home, no?

Absolutely, they did. Bulls won it in Chicago in '92, '96, '97. This is common knowledge, we both know that .

The poster who claimed that the Chicago Bulls never won an NBA title at home because, as he said, "every clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed", should know better. Also, the rationale in thinking that the higher seed is less likely to clich a series at home, is, shall we say, "misguided". The higher seeds clinches the title on their home court exactly 50 percent of the time, and this goes for all four professional team sports leagues played within this country.

Last edited by Jose.Contreras; 10-19-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose.Contreras View Post
Absolutely, they did. Bulls won it in Chicago in '92, '96, '97. This should be common knowledge. The poster who claimed that the Chicago Bulls never won an NBA title at home because, as he said, "every clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed", should know better. Also, the rationale that being the higher seed means the odds are lower that you'd clinch at home vs. clinching on the road is, shall we say, "misguided". The higher seeds clinches the title on their home court exactly 50 percent of the time, and this goes for all four professional team sports leagues played within this country.
I do know better, but you completely misunderstood what I said and to what I was responding. The OP said that he couldn't think of the last time a Chicago sports team had an easy win at home to go on to the Championship round.

I said almost every clincher to the finals for the Bulls was on the road. In 1991 the Bulls were the higher seed and swept the Detroit Pistons. Famously the two-time defending champions walked off the court before the game ended...on their home court in Auburn Hills. In 1992 the 67-win Bulls were the higher seed and faced Cleveland; their clincher was in Game 6 in Cleveland (not sure why, guess the round wasn't 2-3-2). In 1993 the Bulls were the lower seed against the Knicks in a great series, and won in 6; the clincher was at Chicago Stadium, but it was a close game. In 1996, the 72-win Bulls swept the Magic, the Game 4 clinching game took place in Orlando. In 1997, the 69-win Bulls topped the Miami Heat in Game 5 at the United Center, winning by 13; I guess this could meet the OP's criteria. In 1998, the Bulls were in a real battle against the Indiana Pacers, the only time they were forced to 7 games in a conference finals (in the Jordan era, anyway); that said, while the game was at the UC it was a low-scoring battle won by just 5 points.

The Blackhawks did clinch the West at home against San Jose in 2010, but their lead in the 3rd period was just 3-2 until an empty netter in the last minute. And the Hawks sweep of Edmonton in 1992 before they faced Super Mario & the Pens was clinched in Canada.

The Bears in 2006 (2007 playoffs) probably fit the OP's criteria, as the NFC title game turned into a blowout in the 4th quarter against the Saints.

And, of course, the White Sox won the AL title in Anaheim in 2005.

So, again, I do know better, but the post to which I was responding, which should have been perfectly clear, had the OP wondering what was the last Chicago team to have a blowout win to clinch their conference title, at least going back to the flurries falling during the Bears shutout victory of the Rams in 1986.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 AM
WSI Guru

Spivack is correct. My point was to ask when the last time a Chicago team won a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did, who basically had a seven inning party on their home field knowing they were going to the World Series which is amazing way to win anything that most of us have never experienced.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

I think the way the playoffs have gone so far with the Tigers easily killing the Yankees makes that bad feeling about the 2-10 stretch closing out September last that much longer.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
I think the way the playoffs have gone so far with the Tigers easily killing the Yankees makes that bad feeling about the 2-10 stretch closing out September last that much longer.
I can't read it like that because I think the Tigers are built more for the postseason than the regular season. I knew that they'd beat the Yankees, but not in a sweep like that.

Their middle order is deadly with Cabrera and Fielder. Jackson brings speed and contact at the top. They'll be even tougher if Martinez recovers and plays at a high level in '13.

With Verlander and Scherzer at the top throwing aspirin by hitters, you have a problem.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM
WSI's 2010 PTC Champion

Quote:
Spivack is correct. My point was to ask when the last time a Chicago team won a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did, who basically had a seven inning party on their home field knowing they were going to the World Series which is amazing way to win anything that most of us have never experienced.
Yes, indeed, except if you were at the Bears' NFC championship win in 2006(-7). Or any of the Bulls' three championships at home (some close games, but not close series). Or the Bears' NFC championship win in 1985(-6).

I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did." But I don't consider it a big deal that the Tigers did--or think that most Chicago fans have somehow gotten the shaft for not experiencing this.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mostil View Post
Yes, indeed, except if you were at the Bears' NFC championship win in 2006(-7). Or any of the Bulls' three championships at home (some close games, but not close series). Or the Bears' NFC championship win in 1985(-6).

I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did." But I don't consider it a big deal that the Tigers did--or think that most Chicago fans have somehow gotten the shaft for not experiencing this.
Neither do I, I just thought of it as interesting question or anecdote. As a Chicago sports fan, I think I've been pretty spoiled as I have seen all of my teams win titles, except for the Bears; and 8 titles in all. Fans in most cities can't say the same.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
WSI's 2010 PTC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Neither do I, I just thought of it as interesting question or anecdote. As a Chicago sports fan, I think I've been pretty spoiled as I have seen all of my teams win titles, except for the Bears; and 8 titles in all. Fans in most cities can't say the same.
I'm guessing these things even out in the long run. Though I'd understand some Chicago sports fans not forgetting the drought from the early 1960s to the early 1980s . . .
Old 10-20-2012, 02:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

You know, Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS was a seven inning party...
Closed Thread