White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post

Is this really necessary? Is this is what it's come down to, where a poster on WSI can't take a playful poke at the Cubbies without getting scolded?
It's funny how this works. There are people on this site that are concerned with it's "image" and how it displays itself to, I don't know, the rest of the internet? Other baseball fans? Not really sure. But it's part of the reason why certain discussions can't take place here or why things are moved or deleted or whatever.

So it's amusing to me while they're sure to clamp down on other things, maintaining and allowing the behavior that backs up the stereotypical White Sox fan problem with their inferiority complex in dealing with the Cubs and, at the same time mind you, complain about being perceived as having such a problem, they don't seem to see the connection going on there. Oh well.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Any word in whether or not he's taking Hawk with him?
Jeez, is it possible to have a thread about broadcasting without someone posting Hawk hate? This thread isn't about Sox broadcasters, it's not even about the Sox. Give it a rest.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Brenly is the top pick for the Diamondbacks booth according to a person I know who works for Arizona.

Lip
I'd have to think the D-backs would jump for joy after the junk they have had the last few years. Daron Sutton was terrible.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Is this really necessary? Is this is what it's come down to, where a poster on WSI can't take a playful poke at the Cubbies without getting scolded?
This sissified holier than thou lord of the board crap is getting so tiresome. A long time poster that seems to have left gave a parting shot and I'd have to say I agree with the adjective he used to describe the posters that seem to want to micromanage everyone they are offended by. Not only that but the Cubs do have a history of putting their broadcasters on a short leash. So I'd be curious to know if that is the case with Brenly.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Of course the talk of Kerry Wood replacing Brenly starts. Kerry's done a lot for the organization and the city, but come on now. How about getting someone who can comment on the game itself who also has a bit of experience in broadcasting?

Same with the talk about Mark Grace coming "home" to the Cubs. The man got fired due to his drinking problems. Probably better to let him get healthy before rushing him into another job!

As much as I can't stand the guy, Mike Murphy might actually make watching Cubs games interesting.
Are you sure Mark was fired for his drinking?

Regardless, he was a terrible announcer.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
Are you sure Mark was fired for his drinking?

Regardless, he was a terrible announcer.
Two high-profile DWI/DUI arrests in a state that is pretty strict on enforcement?

Rockies might of given another reason, but he was let go after his second arrest. Ricketts might see an appeal in having a Cubs fan favorite on the air; but he also might avoid him all together as Grace might be facing jail time for his arrests.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
He skips out on 22 games?
Factors in Fox/ESPN games.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM
WSI Personality

...and this is why Hawk (while he annoys the **** out of me quite often) being a homer does not bother me at all. Hawk is a White Sox through and through and very proud of it. Brenly, like many teams just have hired guns in the booth, not matter how long he has been in Chicago, jumped ship as soon as a job close to home became open.

Last edited by bigsoxfan420; 10-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsoxfan420 View Post
...and this is why Hawk (while he annoys the **** out of me quite often) being a homer does not bother me at all. Hawk is a White Sox through and through and very proud of it. Brenly, like many teams just have hired guns in the booth, not matter how long he has been in Chicago, jumped ship as soon as a job close to home became open.
In fairness to Brenly he lasted eight years with the Cubs, that's not exactly "jumping ship" is it? I have no problem with the man wanting to work closer to home if the opportunity arises especially since he was the manager at Arizona when they won the World Series.

That's a closer connection to a franchise certainly than just calling the games for a team you never played or managed for is it?

Lip
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
In fairness to Brenly he lasted eight years with the Cubs, that's not exactly "jumping ship" is it? I have no problem with the man wanting to work closer to home if the opportunity arises especially since he was the manager at Arizona when they won the World Series.

That's a closer connection to a franchise certainly than just calling the games for a team you never played or managed for is it?

Lip
If Brenly goes to the Rockies like a lot of reports have him doing, I don't see how you can consider him "jumping ship."

He lives in Colorado
He managed the Rockies to a World Series Championship

Two HUGE pluses for "heading home" in my book.

Although it wouldn't surprise me one bit for ol' JonnyCakes to join a national broadcast team. Fox/ESPN/TBS all could use his talents.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If Brenly goes to the Rockies like a lot of reports have him doing, I don't see how you can consider him "jumping ship."

He lives in Colorado

Although it wouldn't surprise me one bit for ol' JonnyCakes to join a national broadcast team. Fox/ESPN/TBS all could use his talents.

You're confusing the Rockies with the Dbacks

Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 PM
WSI Guru

Frontman:

I'm not accusing him of jumping ship at all. I was defending him in my post. I think you are confusing me with bigsoxfan420.

Lip
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

He lives in Colorado

Huh? What? Did I just enter the Twilight Zone?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
This sissified holier than thou lord of the board crap is getting so tiresome. A long time poster that seems to have left gave a parting shot and I'd have to say I agree with the adjective he used to describe the posters that seem to want to micromanage everyone they are offended by.
+1000. It's very annoying.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
+1000. It's very annoying.