White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
I guess I'll be the first to defend the "minimalist" approach that Hawk takes. My feeling has always been that he doesn't talk down to Sox fans and doesn't need to run his goddamn mouth non-stop for nine innings like most announcers.

Watching a game with Hawk announcing always seems like a fan is by your side and I wouldn't want it any other way.

For those who need an announcer to spoon-feed you Baseball 101 (Bob Brenly) like the vast majority of current PBP men will, more power to you.
I'm a big Hawk fan myself. He entertains me, win or loss. For me personally, I don't need someone who is too basebally.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.
I've NEVER heard a radio team as bad and annoying at DJ and Farmer- I've loved listening to baseball on the radio since I was little lid sneaking the radio under my pillow for late night west coast games.

Now- I'll only listen to them to get a score- and even that is a challenge with those 2-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I've NEVER heard a radio team as bad and annoying at DJ and Farmer- I've loved listening to baseball on the radio since I was little lid sneaking the radio under my pillow for late night west coast games.

Now- I'll only listen to them to get a score- and even that is a challenge with those 2-
I completely agree. I hate listening to them, especially when DJ does the play by play for an inning or two. He is just horrible.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.
It's all a matter of taste. I find most of the so-called "professional" announcers incredibly bland and boring. I'll stipulate that I haven't listened to Farmer and DJ for more than a handful of innings the last couple of years; just if I'm in the car and have to use XM. If I'm home, I'm watching the game.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM
WSI Personality

So that entire thread bitching about how Stone was being driven out because he can't stand Hawk anymore, complete with reports about Bernstein having sources saying it's definitely true (even though Stone has said the whole time he would be back) was just a waste of pixels?

Good to know; not a surprise.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGavinFloyd View Post
So that entire thread bitching about how Stone was being driven out because he can't stand Hawk anymore, complete with reports about Bernstein having sources saying it's definitely true (even though Stone has said the whole time he would be back) was just a waste of pixels?

Good to know; not a surprise.
Any and all speculation immediately becomes undisputed fact on the internet.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Any and all speculation immediately becomes undisputed fact on the internet.
I have a friend at the score that told me that Stone was going to leave.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I completely agree. I hate listening to them, especially when DJ does the play by play for an inning or two. He is just horrible.
I agree with you both.Farmer can be a good analyst at times,but DJ....yeesh!! I appreciate John Rooney and his Columbia School of Broadcasting voice more and more every day.And Bradley72,you're right about trying to get a ballgame score out of DJ and Farmer.Any night I worked late this summer,i'd drive home listening to the game screaming 'What's the ****ing score already?!?!" at my radio.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephclone89 View Post
i've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.
+1
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Put Hawk with Farmer. Bring back Singleton to work with Stone and give DJ the boot!
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
Put Hawk with Farmer. Bring back Singleton to work with Stone and give DJ the boot!
Chris Singleton was the worst baseball announcer I ever heard. The absolute worst. Like I posted in the long ago, he was a favorite of mine when he played for the Sox, and I'm glad he landed on his feet in a network gig he was much more suited for.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Chris Singleton was the worst baseball announcer I ever heard. The absolute worst. Like I posted in the long ago, he was a favorite of mine when he played for the Sox, and I'm glad he landed on his feet in a network gig he was much more suited for.
I think he has vastly improved since he started with the Sox. He does a good job with his network gig.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Waste of time to argue matters of taste, but listening to the playoffs, you do sometimes sense that the announcers think that bunches of people are watching who are not regular baseball viewers, and then they aim their remarks to them. I find myself saying, Will you please shut up? much more often than I do with any set of Sox announcers.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
I think he has vastly improved since he started with the Sox. He does a good job with his network gig.
Studio analysis is a different animal than play-by-play. Chris was simply the worst play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. And, mind you, I had the misfortune of listening to Early Wynn do PBP.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Bingo.

One of two things happened over the weekend. Either...

a.) Stone Poney's agent got word back from the D-Backs that they're not interested, or...

b.) Reinsdorf sat down with Stone and told him to get his crap together because he's not letting him out of the contract.

I lean towards choice b.

All that said, I listened to the Cardinals broadcast a bit on the radio yesterday on my way home. I never realized how bad Mike Shannon is. He makes all of the Sox broadcasters sound competent, and that's quite the feat.
Yea, i was thinking the same exact thing .. with the way that Stone signed off for the season, it sure sounded like he was at least lighting the match to burn his bridges .. also, i doubt that JR has any patience at this time,for broadcasters whining about their problems in the booth .. i'm wondering if the words, 'You guys will cease fire and do your ****ing job" might have been used .. i said a few days ago in here that i think Hawk and Stone need couples counseling .. i was joking at the time, but it wouldn't hurt if they could be forced to go .. as for the radio side of things, i listen to both the tv and radio broadcast of almost every game and i'm quite possibly the only one here that enjoys Farmer and DJ ..