White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
SoxFan1979 SoxFan1979 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINMVP View Post
The following was tweeted by @mullyhanley about 15 minutes ago:

Steve Stone just told us he will for sure be back with #WhiteSox next season. He hopes to finish this contract & future contracts w/#Sox


https://twitter.com/mullyhanley/stat...62663118491648
Great news! Steve Stone belongs in Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
kba kba is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

Swap Hawk for Farmer, give that a try.

Hawk might draw ratings on the radio too.
Hawk on radio would be brutal. If you think the long silences are bad on television, how's that going to work when there are no pictures?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
SoxandtheCityTee SoxandtheCityTee is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Loop
Posts: 3,232
Default

Good God, if people can't bear the "tension" of Hawk and Stoney disagreeing now and then, how do they go through life? There's more tension in your average commute, or meeting at work. To say nothing of the tension caused by what's happening on the field.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,583
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Hawk on radio would be brutal. If you think the long silences are bad on television, how's that going to work when there are no pictures?
It will force him to stop doing it...maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
CoopaLoop CoopaLoop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 1,690
Default

Anyone listen to the interview, I heard he took a pretty big shot at Hawk, but I haven't listened to it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
rainbow6 rainbow6 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
Default

I guess I'll be the first to defend the "minimalist" approach that Hawk takes. My feeling has always been that he doesn't talk down to Sox fans and doesn't need to run his goddamn mouth non-stop for nine innings like most announcers.

Watching a game with Hawk announcing always seems like a fan is by your side and I wouldn't want it any other way.

For those who need an announcer to spoon-feed you Baseball 101 (Bob Brenly) like the vast majority of current PBP men will, more power to you.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 28,368
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I like Hawk but there has to be better communication between him and Stone. These periods of silence have to stop. I'm a little surprised that Stone is returning so I'm thinking that JR read the riot act to them.
Bingo.

One of two things happened over the weekend. Either...

a.) Stone Poney's agent got word back from the D-Backs that they're not interested, or...

b.) Reinsdorf sat down with Stone and told him to get his crap together because he's not letting him out of the contract.

I lean towards choice b.

All that said, I listened to the Cardinals broadcast a bit on the radio yesterday on my way home. I never realized how bad Mike Shannon is. He makes all of the Sox broadcasters sound competent, and that's quite the feat.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
All that said, I listened to the Cardinals broadcast a bit on the radio yesterday on my way home. I never realized how bad Mike Shannon is. He makes all of the Sox broadcasters sound competent, and that's quite the feat.
He's bad. Sad that Rooney is stifled in that environment.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Bingo.

One of two things happened over the weekend. Either...

a.) Stone Poney's agent got word back from the D-Backs that they're not interested, or...

b.) Reinsdorf sat down with Stone and told him to get his crap together because he's not letting him out of the contract.
I'm going with A. I think Stone may have assumed he'd be in demand, but obviously he didn't receive any offers because I don't think he'd be returning if he did. Of course, maybe B happened, too.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 926
Agree

Great news! Now if Hawk would just retire; and we could bring in a fresh play by play announcer.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Bingo.

One of two things happened over the weekend. Either...

a.) Stone Poney's agent got word back from the D-Backs that they're not interested, or...

b.) Reinsdorf sat down with Stone and told him to get his crap together because he's not letting him out of the contract.

I lean towards choice b.
I was going to say you're wrong, but B. is a possibility since he once did it to Rooney. But Stone has an option Rooney didn't: Sit out, because he doesn't need the money. If B. is correct, then it takes A. out of play because JR didn't let Rooney move, once upon a time. It's all in an old thread on this site.

Hey, if he could get Ozzie and Kenny to work together (note that I didn't say successfully) when they were at each other's throats, this is a walk in the park. He likely did it tactfully rather than read the riot act. I suspect he has a clue about how to run a business.
__________________
Ya Ta Hey, Black Crow.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oak Park
Posts: 883
Default

I imagine if we did a poll (I know I could start one, but I won't) on which of the four Sox broadcasters you like the least, there wouldn't be a clear consensus... because every one of them is really unpopular with a large group of fans. That's remarkable, and I wonder if there's another team where all of the announcers are hated equally.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I imagine if we did a poll (I know I could start one, but I won't) on which of the four Sox broadcasters you like the least, there wouldn't be a clear consensus... because every one of them is really unpopular with a large group of fans. That's remarkable, and I wonder if there's another team where all of the announcers are hated equally.

Unfortunately, it might say more about us being an almost impossible to please fanbase than the quality of the announcers...I'm pretty sure that if we had 4 "normal" announcers they would be just as hated.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

People need to get XM and listen to other radio announcers, and MLB.tv and listen to other TV announcers. I think they'd be very hard pressed to find one that would meet everyone's expectations.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
People need to get XM and listen to other radio announcers, and MLB.tv and listen to other TV announcers. I think they'd be very hard pressed to find one that would meet everyone's expectations.
I've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.