White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
That was a lot of words that didn't really get to a point.
Here's a point, unlike you the writer doesn't think this year has been a success for the Cubbies.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Here's a point, unlike you the writer doesn't think this year has been a success for the Cubbies.
Shed 50 million, picked up Soler/Almora and get the 2nd draft pick.

What would have been a successful year?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

As with every teams draft picks, time will tell. As far as the 50 million they shed, I'm sure the folks who bought season tickets for near the highest prices in baseball find great comfort and mark it as a successful season when they lost 101 games. And any pain from the lousy team Theo fielded was relieved when Cubbie fans resold they're tickets for prices of .15 - $5.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
As with every teams draft picks, time will tell. As far as the 50 million they shed, I'm sure the folks who bought season tickets for near the highest prices in baseball find great comfort and mark it as a successful season when they lost 101 games. And any pain from the lousy team Theo fielded was relieved when Cubbie fans resold they're tickets for prices of .15 - $5.
And what does that have to do with rebuilding?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

A successful year would have been had any of the dozen+ young players they brought up from the farm shown that they are actual MLB caliber players. Other than Rizzo there was not one silver lining among the clouds. Brett Jackson looked absolutely clueless --- his lack of pitch recognition skills rivals Brent Lillibridge --- Vitters is looking more like a straight up bust every day, and the young pitchers? They'll be lucky if any of the kids they ran out there are still w/the team come 2014.

Speaking of 2014, my guess is that Starlin Castro will be moved to 3B by then. You can't have an error machine at the most important defensive position on the field.

Also, Soler, Almora, and the 2nd pick guarantees absolutely nothing.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post

A successful year would have been had any of the dozen+ young players they brought up from the farm shown that they are actual MLB caliber players. Other than Rizzo there was not one silver lining among the clouds. Brett Jackson looked absolutely clueless --- his lack of pitch recognition skills rivals Brent Lillibridge --- Vitters is looking more like a straight up bust every day, and the young pitchers? They'll be lucky if any of the kids they ran out there are still w/the team come 2014.

Speaking of 2014, my guess is that Starlin Castro will be moved to 3B by then. You can't have an error machine at the most important defensive position on the field.

AMEN!

Brett Jackson whiffs at a rate higher than Lillibridge and rather than improving, Jackson is whiffing more as he moves up. Brett Jackson, now there is a bright spot, a shining success for the 2012 Cubbies.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

What Theo and co. got out of this year is that none of Hendry's young guys (with the exception of Castro) should have any part of their building process. Now they can just cut their losses and just do it their way.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post

Brett Jackson and Vitters are not from the Theo era. I am just talking about what Theo and co. have done since they got here. This year was year one of the rebuilding project. I don't really see what else he could have done.

Obviously a year where you lose 100 games is not successful, but considering it's a tear down, I think they did the best they could do. Got a couple of young promising players in Almora and Soler, got a real prospect back for a one year signing in Paul Maholm and shed 50 million off the 2013 payroll.

If his sales pitch of Soriano last week actually gets anyone to bite in the offseason, I don't see how this couldn't be viewed as a successful start to the rebuilding process.

Only thing that went wrong was the Dempster trade.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Brett Jackson and Vitters are not from the Theo era. I am just talking about what Theo and co. have done since they got here. This year was year one of the rebuilding project. I don't really see what else he could have done.

Obviously a year where you lose 100 games is not successful, but considering it's a tear down, I think they did the best they could do. Got a couple of young promising players in Almora and Soler, got a real prospect back for a one year signing in Paul Maholm and shed 50 million off the 2013 payroll.

If his sales pitch of Soriano last week actually gets anyone to bite in the offseason, I don't see how this couldn't be viewed as a successful start to the rebuilding process.

Only thing that went wrong was the Dempster trade.
What about the Ian Stewart trade?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

They might finally be rid of Soriano and that contract? Man, what McDonough did to that team and it's lasting effects in such a short amount of time he had at the helm is incredible.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What about the Ian Stewart trade?
I'd call D.J Lemaheiu and Tyler Colvin for Ian Stewart a wash.

Was there something else to that trade? That's meh for meh.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Stewart was terrible this year. The two in Colorado combined for 20 HRs and 94 RsBI.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Stewart was terrible this year. The two in Colorado combined for 20 HRs and 94 RsBI.
Yeah, Colvin especially, who hit. 290/.327/.531 with 18 HR and can play every position of the OF. The only justification for trading him, from the Cubs' perspective, I guess is that he's already 26 so he probably would be on the downside by the time the team is even in a position to compete again, so maybe moving him when he had value was the right move, but Ian Stewart was god-awful and if the only guys in the organization to replace him are Vitters and Jackson... Awful.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, Colvin especially, who hit. 290/.327/.531 with 18 HR and can play every position of the OF. The only justification for trading him, from the Cubs' perspective, I guess is that he's already 26 so he probably would be on the downside by the time the team is even in a position to compete again, so maybe moving him when he had value was the right move, but Ian Stewart was god-awful and if the only guys in the organization to replace him are Vitters and Jackson... Awful.
Colvin was a 26 year old failure.

Let's take a look at those away from Coors numbers, shall we?

244/274/414
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post