White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
...but we wouldn't miss his insight if the Sox found a professional, compatible partner for Hawk.

As someone else mentioned, Hawk can also bring in young baseball players as fans, who will learn very early in life many of Hawk's dumb catchphrases. This will give them a reason to turn on a White Sox game.
"Compatible with Hawk" is a problem.

What young fan would think it's cool to hear repetitions of "Stretch, stretch. Dadgummit." "It's all good." "Don't stop now, boys." ?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
As someone else mentioned, Hawk can also bring in young baseball players as fans, who will learn very early in life many of Hawk's dumb catchphrases.
I doubt those catchphrases appeal to young viewers.

I agree that an outgoing announcer is important. But they've got to be a positive personality, be for the Sox (without over-doing the rooting) and be respectful to the opponent (which Hawk often isn't; "He gone" and "Grab some bench" are bush).

The Sox had 3 announcers who are better than what they have: Singleton, Rooney and Wills.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

I agree that an outgoing announcer is important. But they've got to be a positive personality, be for the Sox (without over-doing the rooting) and be respectful to the opponent (which Hawk often isn't; "He gone" and "Grab some bench" are bush).

The Sox had 3 announcers who are better than what they have: Singleton, Rooney and Wills.
I hope Hawk becomes an "outgoing" announcer in both senses of the word.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

Well the big thing is too, I am almost 30, so the earliest baseball that I remember was Hawk and Wimpy. I used to love "You can put it on the board, yes"...

BUT, how many parents are going to let their Kids tune into Hawk when every inning he is saying BS, Crap, proclaiming how he wishes they would let him cuss on the air.

The truth is, Hawk is not the vivid and capturing Baseball mind he was 15 years ago. Hawk is an old man who has done what old men do, got old, got grumpy, lost his mind and his ability to be what he once was.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

The whole organization is far too introverted. I used to think that "loyalty" was a positive. However, this franchise is dying for a fresh perspective. Hiring a new, young, fresh announcer is a great place to start. I know I'm not the only person that thinks the whole franchise is stale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The whole organization is far too introverted. I used to think that "loyalty" was a positive.
Loyalty is a honorable trait, the ability to control others is not.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Anyone ever watch MLB Network? They use Hawk's catch phrases all the time. Game 162 there was one announcer on the Sox TV side enthused about the game. There was one announcer not "grumpy", and it wasn't Steve Stone.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM
WSI Personality

Default Bob Elson

It's a shame we can't bring back the great Bob Elson. I'm sure he's up in heaven playing gin rummy but I'm also sure he would rather be announcing the White Sox games.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
WSI High Priest

We've sure come a long way from when DJ became the Wally Pipp of broadcasters, when Steve Stone filled in for him and everyone, including myself, thought they were made to broadcast together.

Since that time it is obvious, even when the team was playing well, that this paring was reaching a divorce stage.

It is obvious Hawk's vision is really taking a hit, as now we have too many 'STRETCH' calls that don't even make the warning track, too many missed play calls because of the story telling, and those patented bursts of silence that have plagued the broadcasts too often over the last several years.

As much as I like Hawk and have defended him for several decades and will miss him when he does finally hang it up, I would have no problem if the team revamped the broadcast, if it was done on both the radio and TV. Seven years of Farmer as PBP has made the radio broadcast worse and worse. I actually prefer DJ when he does PBP.

Too bad we can't get Dan Shulman to pair with DJ on the radio, and then get Tommy John with Stone for the TV broadcasts. Then we would have the best paired announcers in the game.

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Hawk is an old man who has done what old men do, got old, got grumpy, lost his mind and his ability to be what he once was.
heh,i have more in common with Hawk than i thought .. i'm around his age and i should love the guy,but the past 3 years it has gotten to the point where i just can't listen anymore ..
Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like Hawk but the time has come and past. He needs to GO!
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
It's a shame we can't bring back the great Bob Elson. I'm sure he's up in heaven playing gin rummy but I'm also sure he would rather be announcing the White Sox games.
I have fond memories of listening to Sox games on WCFL as a kid, but come on, Elson was incredibly bland and boring. He was a radio guy, and there'd be extended periods of him saying absolutely nothing, and all you heard was the murmur of the crowd in the background.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I have fond memories of listening to Sox games on WCFL as a kid, but come on, Elson was incredibly bland and boring. He was a radio guy, and there'd be extended periods of him saying absolutely nothing, and all you heard was the murmur of the crowd in the background.
Yeah, but don't forget to call friendly Bob Adams at Andover 3-2020, he will be standing by the whole game to take your call. In the meantime there's a White Sox wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars.
Bob was a little bland but he was our voice for all those thrilling years, he was a great interviewer and has a place in the Hall of Fame.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post

I have vague memories of him and Lloyd Pettit .. i loved Jack Brickhouse and Lloyd Pettit when they did the White Sox games .. his name reminds me of hockey,which was my first love, of course there was no one better than Lloyd Pettit in the booth for a hockey game ..
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Yeah, but don't forget to call friendly Bob Adams at Andover 3-2020, he will be standing by the whole game to take your call.
How many times I heard that on my transistor radio! Thanks for the memory.
Closed Thread