White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's Gonna Win Today's NL WC Play-In Game?
Cardinals 6 23.08%
Braves 16 61.54%
The Churro vendor with has nasty slider 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Pathetic call. How you liking your dumb play-in game now, Bud?

Are they playing at Wrigley?
How is an umpire's bad call Selig's fault? I loved the play-in game. Teams don't like it, too bad, win the division. Long time ago you wouldn't be in the playoffs anyways.

Didn't even matter in the AL with both teams finishing with the same record
Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin2312 View Post
How is an umpire's bad call Selig's fault? I loved the play-in game. Teams don't like it, too bad, win the division. Long time ago you wouldn't be in the playoffs anyways.

Didn't even matter in the AL with both teams finishing with the same record
The awful call wasn't Selig's fault. The fact that the Braves, a clearly superior team, were in that situation to begin with is.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
At least Chipper got a make-up call in his final at-bat.
Bingo (I'm assuming you're talking about the call at first). The Braves wouldn't even have been in that position if Chipper didn't make that error earlier. Then, in his last at bat after a standing ovation by the crowd, he did not hustle at all down the line and was given a GIFT call by the first base umpire.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
The awful call wasn't Selig's fault. The fact that the Braves, a clearly superior team, were in that situation to begin with is.
A team that craps away a do-or-die game the way they did, is not superior. They had the better regular season record, but when it came down to it, what happened? They have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wonder what the reaction would have been here if instead of the Braves, it was the White Sox in the same situation. I do agree that the Braves put themselves in a bad position with 3 errors and a baserunning blunder. Still, a bad call took away a decent chance to get back in the game. Again, the umps have done MLB no favors in an important playoff game.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

Bingo (I'm assuming you're talking about the call at first). The Braves wouldn't even have been in that position if Chipper didn't make that error earlier. Then, in his last at bat after a standing ovation by the crowd, he did not hustle at all down the line and was given a GIFT call by the first base umpire.
Exactly. The Bravos did themselves no favors.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Pathetic call. How you liking your dumb play-in game now, Bud?

Are they playing at Wrigley?
I like the play-in game better than the single wild card. One game between two teams that didn't win their divisions to give them a chance to make the postseason. Two teams that don't belong in the postseason getting one more chance because they came close -- although the Braves and Cardinals weren't even close to winning their divisions.

The Braves have no business blaming an umpire after getting to play at home and making multiple errors in multiple key situations to throw the game away.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I like the play-in game better than the single wild card. One game between two teams that didn't win their divisions to give them a chance to make the postseason. Two teams that don't belong in the postseason getting one more chance because they came close -- although the Braves and Cardinals weren't even close to winning their divisions.

The Braves have no business blaming an umpire after getting to play at home and making multiple errors in multiple key situations to throw the game away.
On the other hand, you seem like someone who wouldn't like the concept of divisions anyway--shouldn't the top four/five teams, regardless of division, make it to the postseason? Obviously, a truly balanced schedule would have to come about to make that fair.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
On the other hand, you seem like someone who wouldn't like the concept of divisions anyway--shouldn't the top four/five teams, regardless of division, make it to the postseason? Obviously, a truly balanced schedule would have to come about to make that fair.
No. The baseball season is about the races to finish first. If you can't finish first, you don't belong in the postseason. You have only three divisions in each league, so you have to have a wild card, and I prefer the wild card play-in to a team that can coast into the postseason despite not contending for the division title.

And I like the idea that a team that blew a 5-game lead with 9 to play didn't just go into the postseason as a wild card. I thought it was great that the Rangers collapse was followed by a do-or-die game to qualify for the postseason.

If you don't have divisions, you have no reason to have a divisional series or a championship series to determine who will go to the World Series. You already have a league champion.