White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's the real truth?
If you build it, we will come... (fans) 26 26.53%
If you come, we will build it... (management) 2 2.04%
We have a very small fanbase who will come, and a large bandwagon that is unpredictably inconsistent 52 53.06%
If we bake them, you will eat Churros 18 18.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Most of the parking cost is a Chicago city tax.
The increase in parking fees for this year was due to an increased city tax, but the city only collects $3-$5 in taxes on cars parked at Sox Park, depending on if it's a weekday or weekend.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...rking_tax.html
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The increase in parking fees for this year was due to an increased city tax, but the city only collects $3-$5 in taxes on cars parked at Sox Park, depending on if it's a weekday or weekend.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...rking_tax.html
Yeah, I just wrote about that in another thread. Rongey had told a caller that the tax was $20; turns out he's wrong. I didn't research it until after I wrote that.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Royals have the exact same problem that the Cubs have; they have no idea where they are going to get the two or three reliable starting pitchers that they so desperately need. At least the Cubs have the benefit of available cash if the young position players ever develop into a team that can contend. The Royals have to get almost everything either from the draft or from savvy trades, and by the time they can develop some pitching, some of these decent young players that they have will play themselves out of the Royals' price range.
The Royals, because of their low payroll and luxury tax receipts, are considered one of the best investments in MLB. It is rumored (since the books are not public) that the Royals are the most profitable franchise in baseball. Because of the low attendance, their overhead is low because they don't have to pay for a ton of game-day employees to handle 40,000 people.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
WSI Regular

Just curious...how big of an effect do you think Stubhub has had on attendance? I went to 8 games this year and bought tickets from the team once on a half price Monday. The rest I bought off stubhub for below face value. I always checked the Sox site first but Stubhub always had better prices/seat locations. I would have gone to those games anyway but instead of my money going to the team it went to a third party. The Sox got an extra but in the seat but lost an additional paid admission. When so much of your overall attendance is dependent on walk ups, it kills them to have websites undercutting their prices.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by socko82 View Post
Just curious...how big of an effect do you think Stubhub has had on attendance? I went to 8 games this year and bought tickets from the team once on a half price Monday. The rest I bought off stubhub for below face value. I always checked the Sox site first but Stubhub always had better prices/seat locations. I would have gone to those games anyway but instead of my money going to the team it went to a third party. The Sox got an extra but in the seat but lost an additional paid admission. When so much of your overall attendance is dependent on walk ups, it kills them to have websites undercutting their prices.
That's also because their prices are too high.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
The reason this year's attendance never took off is because they didn't seell enough season tickets because no one expected this team to be as competitive as it was. By the time it was clear they were in the hunt school had started up again. Then the team hit the wall.
But where was the walk-up crowd? The team looked like it might be contenders in late May, in other years if the Sox had a good spring, June, July and August were good months for the walk-ups. Not this year.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by socko82 View Post
The tickets on stubhub though were already bought by someone, so the team received the revenue from the original sale of that ticket. So while you may not have paid the team directly, the original purchaser of that ticket did.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
The tickets on stubhub though were already bought by someone, so the team received the revenue from the original sale of that ticket. So while you may not have paid the team directly, the original purchaser of that ticket did.
True but now if you buy tickets to a game and don't want to go instead of eating the ticket it is so easy to resell it. All you do is punch in the bar code to StubHub set a price and poof tickets online. Soon after tickets sold. This all takes about five minutes. 5-10 years ago you'd have to find a friend or sell the around the ballpark. It wasn't easy. Now it is.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt View Post
True but now if you buy tickets to a game and don't want to go instead of eating the ticket it is so easy to resell it. All you do is punch in the bar code to StubHub set a price and poof tickets online. Soon after tickets sold. This all takes about five minutes. 5-10 years ago you'd have to find a friend or sell the around the ballpark. It wasn't easy. Now it is.
Oh, I think I see what you're saying. In the pre-StubHub days, the original purchaser would have most likely just sat on the unused ticket, and you'd have bought one from the Sox, so they'd have two sales, where now they only have one. That makes sense.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This and that:

Jab: Sox ticket prices are comparable to the Yankees and Red Sox. They are the 4th highest on average in the game. I suspect many Sox fans ARE willing to pay that type of price but if you want to charge like the Yankees or Red Sox, you damn well better win like them no?

Lip - that's untrue. And it's bull that you have to pay 200 for a family of four to go to a game. We've all seen the discussions here - there are loads of ways to go to a game for far less than that.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't have season ticks anymore because I don't live in the city like I did for many years - and I have 5 year old twins. Back in the day, I could go to 60+ games a year and it was worth it. Not anymore...

But I managed to buy tickets on stub hub or from friends, for much less than retail. I either take public transportion or drive and park by my favorite local watering hole (and get a parking pass from them for free). I don't buy food at the park often - maybe a dog with if I need it...and I don't drink much anymore. I don't buy my kid a foam hand every time and I don't buy tshirts or jerseys there either.

The Sox experience can be very expensive if you want it to be. It can also be quite reasonable.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
WSI Guru

Jab:

And has been pointed out in numerous threads if that's the case the Sox are apparently doing a poor job of letting the public know because fans continue to mention high ticket prices including fans in the NPR piece that ran last Friday.

Lip
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Jab:

And has been pointed out in numerous threads if that's the case the Sox are apparently doing a poor job of letting the public know because fans continue to mention high ticket prices including fans in the NPR piece that ran last Friday.

Lip
Why would the Sox let the public know they can search online for codes to make the cost of tickets cheaper?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Why would the Sox let the public know they can search online for codes to make the cost of tickets cheaper?
Because they want more people to come to the park?

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Jab:

Lip
Or....the "bandwaggoners" just continue to make excuses for why they aren't coming to the park.

Our tickets, even at face value, provide opportunities to come to the park at a reasonable price. If the "bandwaggoners" continue to want to deny it's existence, that's fine. I don't give a ****.

Lip - you are a smart guy. Manipulating real facts with the selective use of statistics makes for cute stories in the media, but it is not representative of the TRUTH. The truth is that White Sox fans do not come to the park the same way that fans of other teams do. We can come up with a million and one excuses...but we don't. It's the weather...it's the school year...it's the neighborhood....parking...seats too high...seats too blue... it's all bull**** and we the "real fans" should quit continuing the propogation of this horsepoopy.