White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
He recently said he has no interest in retiring. He's not going anywhere, no matter how many scenarios you guys come up with.
That is too bad because his performance in September certainly sounded like a guy who was ready to quit. I mentioned this earlier but I thought that earlier in the year Hawk and Stone had never sounded better but then that series with the Royals came and Hawk just shut down. I have never heard a professional broadcaster mope so much in my life.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Wasn't one of those games the "WEGNER!" game?
Yes, Paciorek was there for the "Wegner" game.And IIRC, he was blown away that Hawk would go that postal over a call.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

IF the Sox want to grow the fan base, moving Hawk into some kind of Team Ambassador role and out of the face of the ball club role is 100% needed.

His act has just grown tired, stale, and its a joke. He is a joke. Its a shame, he is a nice guy, I think he cares deeply about the White Sox, but he can't do his job anymore.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
IF the Sox want to grow the fan base, moving Hawk into some kind of Team Ambassador role and out of the face of the ball club role is 100% needed.

His act has just grown tired, stale, and its a joke. He is a joke. Its a shame, he is a nice guy, I think he cares deeply about the White Sox, but he can't do his job anymore.
I agree. The problem is it would hurt a lot of people in the organization to even suggest this to Hawk.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would even be open to a phasing out, where he does an inning - or a game - here and there (or when Stone is out). But, for the most part he just hangs out at the park and is more like a Moose Skowron type.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Yes, Paciorek was there for the "Wegner" game.And IIRC, he was blown away that Hawk would go that postal over a call.
I also remember an awkward silence after that rant.I wound up feeling sorry for Wimpy for having to endure the umpire baiting.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
One reason that the Wimpy games were so good this year? Sox were 6-1 in those games. That makes Hawk happy and Sox fans happy,so Wimpy gets some love.

I like Wimpy but he did not really analyze this year,just agreed with Hawk on Hawks opinions,mainly. Ok for a fill-in,but for a full season,Wimpy would have to really re-tool his act and do some real homework.

Dan Bernstein,who loves to mock Hawk, says today that his sources say that Stone would like to return,but only with a different play by play partner.....not gonna happen.
Are those the same sources that told him Hawk was getting suspended for his umpire rant? Or that Illinois was going to hire a new basketball coach from a top 5 program?

I always felt like Stone was trying to be one of the "cool kids" with all his appearances on talk radio...maybe him and Hawk should have aired out like two grown ups instead of having Stone make little digs at Hawk on the radio all the time and then Hawk ignoring him during games. Who knows maybe they tried.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
WSI Regular

Well Hawk gave them their chance to fire him this season and they didn't take it. I'm guessing he'll give them another chance next year.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Are those the same sources that told him Hawk was getting suspended for his umpire rant? Or that Illinois was going to hire a new basketball coach from a top 5 program?

I always felt like Stone was trying to be one of the "cool kids" with all his appearances on talk radio...maybe him and Hawk should have aired out like two grown ups instead of having Stone make little digs at Hawk on the radio all the time and then Hawk ignoring him during games. Who knows maybe they tried.
I heard what Bernstein said too, he didn't even say anything about sources. That was his conclusion after "hearing it twice" (the interview). I should ask Dan what the lottery numbers are going to be tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hawk and Bobby V. in the booth next season.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That is too bad because his performance in September certainly sounded like a guy who was ready to quit. I mentioned this earlier but I thought that earlier in the year Hawk and Stone had never sounded better but then that series with the Royals came and Hawk just shut down. I have never heard a professional broadcaster mope so much in my life.

You still haven't. This situation needs Willsy so bad it makes the earth move under your feet. I wouldn't mind seeing both TV guys replaced. Wimpy in his brief gigs this year was the most complimentary broadcaster imaginable because all seemed to say was "That's right, Hawk." I love Wimpy, but that's not what a broadcast team needs. Stone is strong where Hawk is weak. That's called complementary and I'm sorry that Hawk can't handle it.

Stone's good but overrated. I wouldn't miss them if both were gone.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Agree

If they want the Sox to remain insular, Hawk is their man.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post

I'm sure they have tried. I don't think Hawk likes Stone and I think most of that is because Stone won't kiss Hawk's ass or agree with everything Hawk says. Hawk wants everything to go his way, god forbid the 2 guys calling the game actually have a meaningful discussion about the game every once in a while.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I heard the entire inteview on Mac and Spiegs, with Stone.

He did say that at times when he has a different opinion on baseball,Hawk feels it is a challenge to his own expertise,and instead of just two perspectives on an issue, it becomes a bit of a tug of war...Hawk needs to be validated,always.
This is exactly how it sounds to me. Very tiring.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
WSI Guru

D-backs have interest in Stone:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2533032.story

Lip
Old 10-04-2012, 06:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Heard some speculation that Brenly goes to AZ and Stone replaces him.
Closed Thread