White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
You're lucky you missed the darkest day in the history of Western Civilization.

Damn it, we had LaMarr pitching the next day!!!
And the Orioles were not going to beat Hoyt. I was sitting in the lower deck in left field that day. When Greg Walker singled off Storm Davis to start the bottom of the 7th, I can still remember thinking that the Sox were about to take the game, the series and the World Series. But for one terrible basrunning mistake from Jerry Dybzinski, that all might have happened. It is hard to describe just how close that very strong Sox team was to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
An interesting offseason awaits.

Every time I see Floyd pitch like this I wonder why he is so damn inconsistent. He's a 12-game winner with 15- to 17-win stuff.
It should be an interesting offseason. And I, too, have no idea why Floyd is so enigmatic. In recent comments, Floyd says that Mark Parent suggested a mechanical change that has improved him greatly. If that is the case -- and the last two outings suggest that he may have turned the corner -- then the Sox may well be advised to bring Floyd back one more time.

The Sox and by all accounts new general manager Rick Hahn have to make a decision on Floyd and a lot of other guys (primarily AJ, Peavy, and Youkilis). I think that Hahn will do well as the new gm. I also am proud that the Sox made the strides that they did this year. In what was really a transitional season, the Sox improved greatly and built a foundation for the future, particularly with the pitching staff and the defense.

So, while looking forward to what should be a fine 2013 season, it's worth saying one more time in 2012:

Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I'm proud of our team this year.

Last time I cried over the Sox was at the conclusion of the game on this day. It does not get more painful than what we experienced that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
The last time I cried over the Sox was on this day. Being that my first memories of the Sox begin in 1989, this was personally the saddest end to a season in my lifetime. They broke my heart this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
When the Rays finished off the Sox in '08 was pretty damn depressing for me.

I remember asking myself, who knows the next time this team will reach the playoffs, and I'm still wondering 4 years later .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16th&State View Post
The 93 ALCS for me. Though this season ranks up there for me too now that the season is over and the bitter disappointment is setting in...

Edit: Also, I hope the Tigers get crushed in the playoffs...!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
I was on the other side of the planet during that time so i missed the entire postseason, but i had that experience in 93 when we lost to toronto .. it took me a long time to get over that ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
...when my dad took me to a home game in the 1993 ALCS. Despite the loss, I was astounded by the electric crowd, much better than any other baseball game I had ever been to. From that day forward, I joined the Good Guys (who wore black).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisSoxFan View Post
My 20th birthday. Tito ****ing Landrum and the Dibber. And Illinois beat Wisconsin in football that afternoon as well. I've had better birthdays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Tito Landrum!

My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. We watched Britt Burns pitch the game of his life, then felt the cold pall that fell over the ballpark in the tenth inning. That memory haunts me still.

Looking at this year I see signs of hope in promising young pitchers, stronger defense up the middle, and a more purposeful coaching staff. Of course I'm unhappy that the air came out of the balloon these last few weeks, but I feel better knowing that Rick Hahn will be making personnel decisions this winter. I don't know...maybe that's naive optimism. But that's baseball. There's always next season, and that's good.
One of the many great things about WSI is having a place to discuss White Sox baseball. I enjoy reading the perspectives (like each of yours posted above) of Sox fans of all ages. Reading your posts connected all of the heartbreaking endings of Sox seasons for most of the years that I have been following the team. I also like to discuss White Sox history, and I especially enjoy reading Dan Helpingstine's books. I will agree that Tito Landrum destroyed my Sox world on October 8, 1983; I am still looking for Britt Burns to give him a hug. The 1993 Sox playoff exit was awful as well. Those were great Sox teams in 1983 and 1993 that failed to advance in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Viciedo's numbers ended up looking pretty damn good for a kid his age.
Yes! Viciedo is only 23 years old and I am very excited about his future.

As for our Sox, yes it was tough to watch the games these last couple of weeks and now we can add 2012 to our list of disappointing endings to Sox seasons. I am, however, trying not to let the horrible way this season ended sour what was an incredible summer of White Sox baseball for me. DumpJerry, I am also proud of our team. I had alot of fun at the ballpark and on WSI this year and I look forward to the Sox and Robin's return in 2013.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Dan Johnson is as bad or worse than Dewayne Wise. Please, let's not start the offseason with calls for a roster spot wasted.
Seeing as this year alone we've had people trumpeting contract extensions to Quintana after his first month starting in the majors and Liriano after one good start, I'm surprised more people haven't yet.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Seeing as this year alone we've had people trumpeting contract extensions to Quintana after his first month starting in the majors and Liriano after one good start, I'm surprised more people haven't yet.
Who has done that?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Maybe selective numbers, like .255/25/78. Those look OK for his age, but average at best for a corner outfielder.

The other numbers are worrysome: .300 OBP, 120Ks, only 10 of his 78 RBIs in RISP situations and a 0.6 WAR.

Then there's the eye test: Way too much hacking at bad pitches, letting the pitcher dictate the at-bat and non-productive at-bats to go with the 25 where he took the ball out of the park.

Not to mention that the Sox already invested $14M in him for 700+ AB and Boras will surely try to get him a hefty raise in his first arb year.

There could be room for growth as a hitter, but I don't see the guy suddenly becoming selective and patient. If anything we may get more HRs and RBIs out of him, but there's more to a hitter than that.

Not saying the Sox should just flush him, he'd be a decent lower order guy in a better lineup, but we need a lineup upgrade and power potential is a hot commodity on the trade market, it would behoove Rick/Kenny to kick tires.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If he doesn't get his OBP up 40 points, he's Willie Mo Pena. Somehow he's got to get some patience and learn the strike zone.
He had a good September in the OBP department, though.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Strange feeling this year. The team performed above expectations, even though they slowly withered away like most Sox teams of recent times. It was the definition of bittersweet.
This was the word I was going to use to describe the 2012 season -- bittersweet. The White Sox far exceeded all the experts' predictions and gave us a really fun summer and legitimate playoff hope into the third week of September. For that, I'm grateful. Yet I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the two weeks of dreadful baseball we saw at the end.

I don't think the 1983 and 1993 teams are apt comparisons to this team. The 1983 team was the first Sox team to make it to the post-season since 1959 (the first 24 freaking years of my life)! That should give a bit of perspective to those who are bemoaning the fact that the Sox haven't been to the post-season since 2008. Plus, the 2012 team was nowhere as talented or formidable as the 1983 or 1993 teams. Those teams were as good as any team in baseball those years. I don't think you can say that about the 2012 team.

On the other hand, the 1983 and 1993 teams made it to the post-season and there is a certain validation which comes from simply making it to the playoffs. We didn't achieve "validation" this season.

2012 hurts, but it is a different kind of hurt (on many different levels) than I experienced after the 1983 and 1993 seasons. I'm disappointed, but don't feel like it is a major missed opportunity like I did after our playoff exits in 1983 and 1993. Sorry for the stream-of-conscious rambling.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I like you already!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Who has done that?
If I feel bored today, I'll find it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Tank has done a tremendous job being more selective at every level as he's progressed. There's no reason to suggest that trend wont continue at this level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Tank has done a tremendous job being more selective at every level as he's progressed. There's no reason to suggest that trend wont continue at this level.

Agree. The A's announcers were talking about their Cuban outfielder yesterday as he took a walk in their pivotal 4th inning rally and said at the start of the season they never would have seen that happening as he was a total free-swinger. He is 4 years older than Tank,so I expect Tank to sharpen his eye in his 2nd year in the MLB. If not,then after next year, decision time.

This season was both exhilarating,and then ultimately,crushing.
Still, last year at this time,I expected nothing but pain,and we had many sweet times.
So, while painful at the end, I still salute the team and coaching staff for wringing close to full potential out of this team.

That is why I refuse to get overly despondant today looking to the future...the A's and Nats showed that anything is possible,and the Sox almost showed it....so next year....it could be OUR YEAR!!

Thanks for the memories,boys!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I would welcome Dan Johnson on next year's bench. Not based on tonight's performance, but because he has performed well in pinch hitting duties over the last month.
A plea to Robin Ventura: PLEASE play your bench players more often next year!! Who knows what might have happened if Dan Johnson had just a FEW more starts in 2012??
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If we were to trade Dunn for someone of value we would need a guy to spell Konerko against a tough RH pitcher or so I could live with Johnson as a backup. Full time DH, no way.
I could be wrong, and often am, but I just don't see anybody offering anything of value for Dunn. I don't care how much Hawk insists that every one of Dunn's home runs was in a huge situation.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Who knows what might have happened if Dan Johnson had just a FEW more starts in 2012??
Seriously?

You do know this is the equivalent of "Dewayne Wise should play more often."
Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Seriously?

You do know this is the equivalent of "Dewayne Wise should play more often."
Oh, come on, you had to know that there would be calls for him to become a regular when he hit three homers yesterday.