White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoxman View Post
Steve Stones last line form the broadcast....'One of the lessons from this season is that the clock is ticking...You have to enjoy what you do"...

Sounds like a good bye to me.

Yea I thought the same.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Anybody catch Stone 's final remark. "...you learn some lessons and one thing you learn is that the clock is ticking and you have to enjoy what you do." If that wasn't a good bye, I don't know what it is.

Yea, i missed it the first time but i just went back and listened and that i definitely a farewell ..
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Stone is on the Score right now talking about all this.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I tuned in for a bit. Wish I would've heard the entire segement.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

I heard the entire inteview on Mac and Spiegs, with Stone. He was pretty honest,admitting that when the Sox lose, ''Hawk gets very grumpy''....and that it is a challenge to work around the roller coaster of a booth produced by the ups and downs of a Sox season.

He said he expects to be back,but clearly was hesitant to guarantee it.
I think if he is offered the D-Backs gig, he would take it. He reiterated that Reinsdorf is the best owner he could ever work for,and no doubt is loyal,but I am sure Jerry would release him if he asked.

He did say that at times when he has a different opinion on baseball,Hawk feels it is a challenge to his own expertise,and instead of just two perspectives on an issue, it becomes a bit of a tug of war...Hawk needs to be validated,always.

I suspect we have seen the last of Stoney with Hawk.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I heard the entire inteview on Mac and Spiegs, with Stone. He was pretty honest,admitting that when the Sox lose, ''Hawk gets very grumpy''....and that it is a challenge to work around the roller coaster of a booth produced by the ups and downs of a Sox season.

He said he expects to be back,but clearly was hesitant to guarantee it.
I think if he is offered the D-Backs gig, he would take it. He reiterated that Reinsdorf is the best owner he could ever work for,and no doubt is loyal,but I am sure Jerry would release him if he asked.

He did say that at times when he has a different opinion on baseball,Hawk feels it is a challenge to his own expertise,and instead of just two perspectives on an issue, it becomes a bit of a tug of war...Hawk needs to be validated,always.

This is the most telling of Hawk, and it's been obvious for a while. Stone did mention when he worked with Harry (pre-stroke of course), Harry was fine with disagreements. If everyone agreed, it was a boring broadcast.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
man o manischewitz .. i haven't listend to the score in so long outside of the ballgame's themselves, but i sure would have liked to have heard that .. i hope i can find it on their website ..
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't see how the Sox can bring them back together next year at this point. Ideally, I'd like to see a clean sweep, even though I've traditionally been a Hawk supporter. Stone hasn't done much for me, but perhaps he has pretty much stopped trying. If Stone could come back with a professional PBP guy, I think that would be interesting, but since it seems we will have Hawk for a few more years, I guess that's out.

Is there any chance in hell that Wimpy would come back to the booth for a full schedule? Maybe it wouldn't work over a full 162 games, but those were Hawk's best games this year.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
Is there any chance in hell that Wimpy would come back to the booth for a full schedule? Maybe it wouldn't work over a full 162 games, but those were Hawk's best games this year.
By far Hawk's best games were with Wimpy. I think Hawk and Stone just aren't the right match for each other chemistry wise. They both have big egos, they both like to talk a lot, and one is a "homer" announcer while the other calls more of a neutral game. They just don't mesh well. Wimpy on the other hand compliments Hawk's style better. He doesn't need to talk as much as Stone and his analysis seems more complimentary of Hawk's style. The two of them have great chemistry (always have) and they seem to genuinely have a lot of fun calling the games together which makes for a much more enjoyable broadcast. I'd love it if they brought Wimperoo back full time. The question is whether he would want to come out of retirement for the 162 game grind.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
Wasn't one of those games the "WEGNER!" game?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
WSI High Priest

One reason that the Wimpy games were so good this year? Sox were 6-1 in those games. That makes Hawk happy and Sox fans happy,so Wimpy gets some love.

I like Wimpy but he did not really analyze this year,just agreed with Hawk on Hawks opinions,mainly. Ok for a fill-in,but for a full season,Wimpy would have to really re-tool his act and do some real homework.

Dan Bernstein,who loves to mock Hawk, says today that his sources say that Stone would like to return,but only with a different play by play partner.....not gonna happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Another reason why Hawk should be gone.

And hawk and wimpy is just an amplification of Hawk.

I hope the Sox take professional direction.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Official Professor

Hawk will be in the booth as long as Hawk wants to be in the booth. Get used to it.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
One reason that the Wimpy games were so good this year? Sox were 6-1 in those games. That makes Hawk happy and Sox fans happy,so Wimpy gets some love.

I like Wimpy but he did not really analyze this year,just agreed with Hawk on Hawks opinions,mainly. Ok for a fill-in,but for a full season,Wimpy would have to really re-tool his act and do some real homework.

Dan Bernstein,who loves to mock Hawk, says today that his sources say that Stone would like to return,but only with a different play by play partner.....not gonna happen.
Is it possible that Hawk could try a part-time arrangement (e.g., with Wimpy) to ease into retirement?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxtalker View Post
Is it possible that Hawk could try a part-time arrangement (e.g., with Wimpy) to ease into retirement?
He recently said he has no interest in retiring. He's not going anywhere, no matter how many scenarios you guys come up with.
Closed Thread