White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM
WSI Guru

Default By The Numbers...

Just some tidbits, facts and factoids about the season. Discuss as you will:

Sox finished 85 - 77 .524 (High mark +16 over .500 on August 26.) Sox went 14-22 after that. Sox went 4-11 in last 15 games costing them the division.

Under current G.M. Kenny Williams this is the eighth winning season out of 12 years. (Eight winning seasons, three losing seasons, one .500 season) Two post season appearances, one World Series championship. Average Sox record under Kenny: 84.50 wins, 77.58 losses.

Sox finished with a home attendance of 1,965,955 fans. That is the 6th consecutive season the Sox lost fans from the previous year. (3rd time in franchise history this has happened. 1927-1932 and 1965-1970) Here are the final totals from the past six years:

2006- 2,957,414
2007- 2,684,395
2008- 2,500,648
2009- 2,284,163
2010- 2,194,378
2011- 2,001,262
2012- 1,965,955

Total loss from the end of 2006 to the end of 2012: 991,459 fans.

First Half Record (Games 1-81) 44-37 .543
Second Half Record (Games 82-162) 41-40 .506
Before All Star Break: 47-38 .552
After All Star Break: 38-39 .493

Games where the Sox scored three runs or less in 2012: 67 out of 162 (41.3% of season)

Sox lost 17 games when they allowed three runs or less
Sox won 13 games when they scored three runs or less:
Sox were shutout 11 times
Sox threw 11 shutouts

Sox won 11 games when they trailed going into the 7th inning or later.
(6 times in the 7th, 1 time in the 8th, 4 times in the 9th they either tied or took the lead and won)

Sox lost 11 games where they led going into the 7th inning or later.
(2 times in the 7th, 3 times in the 8th, 5 times in the 9th, 1 time in the 14th they gave up the lead and eventually lost)

Here’s the ‘break down’ of the pitchers who ‘broke down’ and cost the Sox those games:

Thornton – 3 times, Peavy – 2 times, Reed – 2 times, Santiago – 2 times, Crain – 1 time, Myers – 1 time.

Sox were 26-21 in one run games.
Sox were 14-23 in two run games.
Sox were 5-9 in extra inning games.

Sox were 6-12 vs. Detroit
Sox were 6-12 vs. Kansas City (finished with a losing record)
Six were 2-6 vs. Baltimore
Sox were 2-6 vs. Boston (finished with a losing record)

Seven games the Sox wished they could have back:

April 25: Oakland 5, Sox 4 (14 innings) – Santiago gave up three runs in the last of the 14th inning to lose the game. Was the second of five losses in a row. Sox scored three runs or less in four of those games

May 4: Detroit 5, Sox 4 – Thornton gave up a two run home run in the 9th inning as Detroit scored three times in the final two frames for the win.

May 15: Detroit 10, Sox 8 – Peavy was cruising with a 6-0 lead in the 6th inning, and then completely lost it. Tigers scored 10 unanswered runs for the win. Gave them the confidence that they could beat the Sox anytime they needed to.

July 19: Boston 3, Sox 1- Reed gives up a three run home run in the 9th to lose the game. Second of five straight losses where the Sox scored a total of nine runs.

August 27: Baltimore 4, Sox 3 - Myers gives up what turned out to be the game winning home run to the “all powerful” Nate McLouth in the 8th inning. Sox would lose 10 of their next 15 games.

September 19: K.C. 4, Sox 3 - Sox take early 3-0 lead against “Catfish” Guthrie…then Rios hesitates trying to score on a wild pitch…then Ramirez falls asleep and gets picked off 3rd base. Instead of being up four or five runs, lead remains at three. Royals come back to win, Detroit had already lost and the Sox blew a chance to increase the lead to three games.

September 25: Cleveland 4, Sox 3 – Sox had a stirring comeback win the night before, took a 3-1 lead in the 1st inning… then did nothing the rest of the night. Fell out of first place to Detroit and never got closer than a game the rest of the way.

Lip

Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Thanks for the numbers, Lip. (I know they took a lot of time to put together.)

I'd like to see the team put more of an emphasis on putting the hammer down and doing what it takes to win close games early in the season. Those games count as much as those in September. Too many times this season, and you documented some of them, we threw away games by taking out starters who were pitching great. We need to bank those games as wins and worry about our closer's confidence later.

Our mental approach from the players to the coaches needs to improve. It was ridiculous how we continued to pitch to Billy Butler as he burned us in game after game after game. It's no wonder why we struggled so much with Kansas City. I don't know if it was due to some misguided macho attitude, but I remain dumbfounded why we kept pitching to the one big-time hitter in the Royals lineup. It would have been so easy, and smart, to pitch around him, but we chose not to for reasons unknown and we paid a heavy price for it.

Our starting lineup needs more speed and energy. I think that would help avoid our annual second-half fade. The two positions that are open to be improved are second and third base.

The Sox need to clean house in the marketing department. The steady attendance decline speaks for itself. Having said that, I have no confidence that the Sox will clean house in the marketing department. Such thinking, if it plays out like that, would be an example of why the same problems seem to repeat themselves in the organization.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 AM
WSI Regular

I'll add June 17th at Dodgers to that list of games.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

losing 4 of 6 to Houston and the Cubs at home stings.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Thanks for the analysis, Lip. How is it possible to be as competitive as this team was over the entire course of the year - and frankly entertaining to watch, IMO - and still lose fans.

Hell, even when we were taking on water in the last month of the season, we were still in the race!

I don't understand. What do people want to see?
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
I'll add June 17th at Dodgers to that list of games.
That game is at the top of my list. Taking the starter out after 77 pitches through 8 in a shutout? I like the job RV did overall, but that was his worst decision of the season, IMO.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM
WSI Guru

That Sept. 19 game in KC, I look at that loss as the turning point. After that game, I posted that team I saw on the field that night was not the White Sox team I had enjoyed watching all summer.

They played horrible, horrible baseball that night. Worst game of the year in my book. It put them in a funk they never escaped.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
That game is at the top of my list. Taking the starter out after 77 pitches through 8 in a shutout? I like the job RV did overall, but that was his worst decision of the season, IMO.

This one sticks out to me. Robin and Coop really blew that one. Quintana started to slide after that also...he was pitching spectacular for a stretch,and the Sox could not score for him...this was the capper.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Looking at this team it was missing what I call the "Magic" needed that puts most teams in the winning / championship catagory. Those Magic teams win 1 run games 60-70% of the time.. They win 60-70% of their extra inning games. They shut out other teams at a 2 to 1 clip. They are the antithesis of mediocrity. Sure, you have to be a good team to compete, but also catching a little lightning in a bottle helps as well. Look at Baltimore this year. They were a pain in the Yankees ass because they always found a way to pull em out. Sure, they didnt win the division, but in this day and age they are atleast going to the dance..

I as alot of old farts on this board know the Sox drill.. .500 ball going in and hoping they catch the "magic" somewhere along the season. Only problem is, alot of rabbits have been AWOL when extracted from hats.

Great work LIP. Nothing tells the true story untill its laid out for all to see. We can all come up with reasons for this or that, but as you say, "The Numbers" dont lie. You have to go by the numbers because a number to the right of the W/L column is what tells you where you eventually end up when all is said and done..

BK59
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Looking at this team it was missing what I call the "Magic" needed that puts most teams in the winning / championship catagory. Those Magic teams win 1 run games 60-70% of the time.. They win 60-70% of their extra inning games. They shut out other teams at a 2 to 1 clip. They are the antithesis of mediocrity. Sure, you have to be a good team to compete, but also catching a little lightning in a bottle helps as well. Look at Baltimore this year. They were a pain in the Yankees ass because they always found a way to pull em out. Sure, they didnt win the division, but in this day and age they are atleast going to the dance..

I as alot of old farts on this board know the Sox drill.. .500 ball going in and hoping they catch the "magic" somewhere along the season. Only problem is, alot of rabbits have been AWOL when extracted from hats

Great work LIP. Nothing tells the true story untill its laid out for all to see. We can all come up with reasons for this or that, but as you say, "The Numbers" dont lie. You have to go by the numbers because a number to the right of the W/L column is what tells you where you eventually end up when all is said and done..

BK59
Being one of those old farts I just never believed that this team was that good, I picked them for 86 wins and second place ( pretty good prediction) and I'm just not that bummed out this year like other years, in fact I can't believe how well I'm taking it. It was fun while it lasted and it would have been great if they played well down the stretch but when you can't beat KC and the team you have to beat you don't deserve to win.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Just some tidbits, facts and factoids about the season. Discuss as you will:

Sox finished 85 - 77 .524 (High mark +16 over .500 on August 26.) Sox went 14-22 after that. Sox went 4-11 in last 15 games costing them the division.

Under current G.M. Kenny Williams this is the eighth winning season out of 12 years. (Eight winning seasons, three losing seasons, one .500 season) Two post season appearances, one World Series championship. Average Sox record under Kenny: 84.50 wins, 77.58 losses.
May 15: Detroit 10, Sox 8 – Peavy was cruising with a 6-0 lead in the 6th inning, and then completely lost it. Tigers scored 10 unanswered runs for the win. Gave them the confidence that they could beat the Sox anytime they needed to.

September 19: K.C. 4, Sox 3 - Sox take early 3-0 lead against “Catfish” Guthrie…then Rios hesitates trying to score on a wild pitch…then Ramirez falls asleep and gets picked off 3rd base. Instead of being up four or five runs, lead remains at three. Royals come back to win, Detroit had already lost and the Sox blew a chance to increase the lead to three games.
Lip, thanks for pulling this together. Great job on breaking down the Sox "lost opportunity" season.

All games count the same in the standings, but these 2 really stand out to me as the ones where the season was lost. That Detroit loss meant a 2 game swing in the standings. 6 run lead with a $17M pitcher on the mound and we lose. Wow.

The 9/19 game was another one where the Sox blew it. Mental errors like getting picked off 3rd are inexcusable. There's 3 games in the standings right there in a season where the Sox ended 3 games back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
And this was another blown chance. I think this game was the poster-child for KW's plan to hire a manager who has had ZERO professional coaching experience. Wow, he made some critical errors in judgement? I'm shocked!

IMO, I feel that KW was sort of conceding the 2012 season at the start. Perhaps he was surprised himself at how the Sox were in the race early on and how he was able to boost this lineup with Youkilis.

But, instead of hiring a more seasoned manager while teaching RV the ropes by managing in the minors or by starting off as a bench coach, KW went with on-the-job training. This to me was inexcusable. It was a signal to me that the Sox weren't going for it this year.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Being one of those old farts I just never believed that this team was that good, I picked them for 86 wins and second place ( pretty good prediction) and I'm just not that bummed out this year like other years, in fact I can't believe how well I'm taking it. It was fun while it lasted and it would have been great if they played well down the stretch but when you can't beat KC and the team you have to beat you don't deserve to win.
Good call Lil' Nell. I'm happy you're taking this so well. Probably at the stage of " I aint getting flustered unless there is something to get flustered about".. I know.. You've seen this floor show adnausem and the eye was caught, but unless the MP's and SP's show up, I'll turn back to friendly conversation and another .

Agree, Expectations were minimal in the beginning. Hung tough till the wheels came off and the jeep ended up in a ditch a 1/4 mile from
the post. Final analysis is they didnt beat the favorite, nor flotsum to achieve to top spot..

BK59
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Thanks for the analysis, Lip. How is it possible to be as competitive as this team was over the entire course of the year - and frankly entertaining to watch, IMO - and still lose fans.

Hell, even when we were taking on water in the last month of the season, we were still in the race!

I don't understand. What do people want to see?
Dynamic stupid pricing.

Anticipated next game: Unknown