White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Going into the offseason with some good vibes. Now build a club that can beat the goddamn Royals!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I wouldn't. He can't play the field, or just 1B. No room for that on the roster with Dunn and Konerko there.
I'd rather have Johnson at Johnson's salary than Dunn at Dunn's salary.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
You're lucky you missed the darkest day in the history of Western Civilization.

Damn it, we had LaMarr pitching the next day!!!
While I was too little to remember that, as a little kid my family was mostly Cubs fans. I was taken to go games on both sides of town, but what stood out was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16th&State View Post
The 93 ALCS for me. Though this season ranks up there for me too now that the season is over and the bitter disappointment is setting in...

Edit: Also, I hope the Tigers get crushed in the playoffs...!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
I was on the other side of the planet during that time so i missed the entire postseason, but i had that experience in 93 when we lost to toronto .. it took me a long time to get over that ..
...when my dad took me to a home game in the 1993 ALCS. Despite the loss, I was astounded by the electric crowd, much better than any other baseball game I had ever been to. From that day forward, I joined the Good Guys (who wore black).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
The first regular season game of 2013 is 179 days away. Let the countdown begin!
It's not quite that bad CSG. Spring training starts in February. A mere four months away
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Winner 2009 Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Because the Sox have proven themselves so adept at spending their money wisely?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

What is it with Dan Johnson and game 162s?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Strange feeling this year. The team performed above expectations, even though they slowly withered away like most Sox teams of recent times. It was the definition of bittersweet.

I don't know how they'll improve through transactions, but it'll be interesting. A lot of youth in the pitching staff. They can't seem to develop quality youth in the field, though. Viciedo needs a better eye. Beckham isn't an offensive threat.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm proud of our team this year.

Last time I cried over the Sox was at the conclusion of the game on this day. It does not get more painful than what we experienced that day.
My 20th birthday. Tito ****ing Landrum and the Dibber. And Illinois beat Wisconsin in football that afternoon as well. I've had better birthdays.

STATE CHAMPS!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm proud of our team this year.

Last time I cried over the Sox was at the conclusion of the game on this day. It does not get more painful than what we experienced that day.
Tito Landrum!

My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. We watched Britt Burns pitch the game of his life, then felt the cold pall that fell over the ballpark in the tenth inning. That memory haunts me still.

Looking at this year I see signs of hope in promising young pitchers, stronger defense up the middle, and a more purposeful coaching staff. Of course I'm unhappy that the air came out of the balloon these last few weeks, but I feel better knowing that Rick Hahn will be making personnel decisions this winter. I don't know...maybe that's naive optimism. But that's baseball. There's always next season, and that's good.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Happy how our Sox beat the critics and had a winning season. The choke hurt, but overall this season was better than I expect. Next year, let's pray the Sox finally beat the Royals and Tigers consistently so we can see postseason baseball on the Southside.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Tito Landrum!

My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. We watched Britt Burns pitch the game of his life, then felt the cold pall that fell over the ballpark in the tenth inning. That memory haunts me still.

Looking at this year I see signs of hope in promising young pitchers, stronger defense up the middle, and a more purposeful coaching staff. Of course I'm unhappy that the air came out of the balloon these last few weeks, but I feel better knowing that Rick Hahn will be making personnel decisions this winter. I don't know...maybe that's naive optimism. But that's baseball. There's always next season, and that's good.
While I'm depressed that they failed to win the division, I never really thought they had a chance at the title, I just wanted them to get to the dance and I would have happy with that. 1983 and 1993, OTOH, were real chances at a title. I felt the same way about the 2004 team before Maggs & Frank went down with injuries.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Dan Johnson is as bad or worse than Dewayne Wise. Please, let's not start the offseason with calls for a roster spot wasted.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
You mean Dunn's not 14 times as good as Johnson? Got some pop, obviously, doesn't strike out much. Might need a lefty bat along the way when Gordon is due up with the game on the line someday. Which happened at least 5-6 times this season.

Is there room on a modern day roster for such a player? Hahn will sort it out, no fear.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Viciedo's numbers ended up looking pretty damn good for a kid his age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I would welcome Dan Johnson on next year's bench. Not based on tonight's performance, but because he has performed well in pinch hitting duties over the last month.
If we were to trade Dunn for someone of value we would need a guy to spell Konerko against a tough RH pitcher or so I could live with Johnson as a backup. Full time DH, no way.