White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Tough sell considering the Sox conveniently dont advertise that option much and neither does metra. People coming from the north would have to pay twice, cta and metra to get to park and then there is the scheduling issue.

Im thinking the Sox will take advantage of next years opportunity.
As doub and eriq said, though, the Red Line is just being re-routed. It's not shutting down. It'll stop at IIT-Bronzeville, which is maybe an extra 2-block walk or so from Sox-35th.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Red Line is not being shut down, it is being rerouted to the Green Line tracks south of Roosevelt. Anybody unfamiliar with the CTA can still catch the train where they always have and everyone else even slightly savvy with public transportation in Chicago is undoubtedly already aware of Bronzeville-IIT-35th

Yes we know but most dont and being dropped off east of the ryan is very scarey for many unknowing fans.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yes we know but most dont and being dropped off east of the ryan is very scarey for many unknowing fans.
If so, the Sox will have to market that option and make it known of the Green Line option.

As for the ignorance about the neighborhood, I think the Sox have done a terrible job at countering those myths and stereotypes over the years. I hear that crap from people who otherwise know little about the team and may have never even been to a Sox game, or Chicago in general.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Made that walk many, many times before the Dan Ryan was built.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Made that walk many, many times before the Dan Ryan was built.

Yea I did also and it was a little dicey back then.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

If they raise parking fees next season, I'll be going to less games. Cost is a big factor for me.

I could care less about fun stuff at the park. Good food for a decent price to accompany a competitive team on the field is enough for me. But we're all individuals and we want different things when we go out and spend our money. I would understand and welcome it if the Sox try some things out at the Cell to increase interest in the team and diversify the fan base. Even if I don't care about in-game entertainment or whatever else they come up with.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yea I did also and it was a little dicey back then.
In 1962 I had to do the walk after the fans were all gone as my buddy and I were vendors that year and we had to bank out and collect our commission money.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I'd like to have Peavy back if possible, but Myers I won't miss.
I think Peavy might be out of our price range, even though I would also like to have him back.
As for Myers, I don't think losing him will be that big of an issue. However, I could see Crain and Thornton getting traded so maybe adding a few more bullpen arms wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
If so, the Sox will have to market that option and make it known of the Green Line option.

As for the ignorance about the neighborhood, I think the Sox have done a terrible job at countering those myths and stereotypes over the years. I hear that crap from people who otherwise know little about the team and may have never even been to a Sox game, or Chicago in general.
LOL. What, past the scary Starbucks or the scary popcorn shop? Plus the area is crawling with cops.

This whole "is the neighborhood safe" deal is so overblown, it's ridiculous.

BTW: Me and my friends took the CTA train from 35th to 95th street and waited for the bus outside the 95th station all the time back in the 70's and 80s, with no issues.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
In 1962 I had to do the walk after the fans were all gone as my buddy and I were vendors that year and we had to bank out and collect our commission money.

Thats good at least you had money in your pockets. I remember making that walk with my dad and him saying, All I have is car fare so if we get stuck up , Im giving them you.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Thats good at least you had money in your pockets. I remember making that walk with my dad and him saying, All I have is car fare so if we get stuck up , Im giving them you.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think I like your dad. I've made that walk more than the one from the Ryan. The automobile took over at a certain age. Walk past IIT, gotta try it, just for nostalgia's sake. Every time I drive in that way it's crawling with cops.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

During the mid and late 60's, we used to ride our bikes from Archer and Ashland to the ballpark 2 or 3 times a week during the summer .. nice memories .. when i was 12, my buddy and i got stranded at Wrigley Field and had to walk all the way home .. that was an interesting walk ..
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
During the mid and late 60's, we used to ride our bikes from Archer and Ashland to the ballpark 2 or 3 times a week during the summer .. nice memories .. when i was 12, my buddy and i got stranded at Wrigley Field and had to walk all the way home .. that was an interesting walk ..
We walked home a few times from Wrigley and also from Riverview but lived at 6700 north, that walk you had was something else, what route did you take, west on Addison to Ashland and then south the rest of the way?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
We walked home a few times from Wrigley and also from Riverview but lived at 6700 north, that walk you had was something else, what route did you take, west on Addison to Ashland and then south the rest of the way?
Yea, we had bus fair but, but like dopes, we spent it on the concessions .. and yes, we went down Ashland, it was the only way we knew to go .. we got chased a couple of times and i think that we ran most of the way haha .. had some stories to tell when we got home