White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Jimmy absolutely knew the game and how it should be played. He retired with one of the best defensive percentages in history.

His style might have been grating but he knew the game to the nth degree.

He and Harry were a terrific tandem.

Lip
Agreed.My favorite Harry/Jimmy moments:

1. Any time Jimmy had to say "Pulaski".He always pronounced it "Pu-laski".

2. Any live "Chicken Unlimited" read Jimmy did on air.If you listened closely,you could hear Harry wolfing down an order of wings.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM
WSI Personality

I was skeptical about how bad the divide between the two was till you guys brought it up on this thread. I watched the game last night, and since I was paying attention could feel the tension and awkwardness between the two , it is worse than I thought.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM
WSI Personality

I remember listening to Harry Caray broadcasting from St Louis when I was in college at UI and being blown away by how good he was. Years later with the Sox he was godawful and impossible to listen to, especially when he droned on and on about what group or family was at the game. I also listened to Prince when I lived in central PA near the end of his career, and he was terrible, constantly moaning about the decline of the Pirates. (Of course that decline proved permanent -- a caution to those of us who favor rebuilding the Sox). In fact Prince sounded a lot like Hawk this year. I have been a big fan of Hawk and won't listen to any other broadcast of a Sox game, but this year he has become a cardboard caricature of himself, and I think his time is up. I like Stone a lot and hope he is the one who stays.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
...also, since he has a contract through 2014 (with option on 2015) i don't see how he can just leave if he wants to ..
All a contract does is prevent him from going to work for someone else during that time. It does not prevent him from just retiring.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I was skeptical about how bad the divide between the two was till you guys brought it up on this thread. I watched the game last night, and since I was paying attention could feel the tension and awkwardness between the two , it is worse than I thought.

I agree. I listened with an ear toward picking up tension last nite,and it was very apparent that this marriage is over. Hawk would make a comment about miggy and dead silence. Stone only spoke when he had to with action on the field. It was the worst dynamic between two that I have ever heard....its ovah!

I have defended Hawk thru the years,but I am about ready for a change.
Stone is ok,but if this is going to be the atmosphere,something has to give.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
I also listened to Prince when I lived in central PA near the end of his career, and he was terrible, constantly moaning about the decline of the Pirates. (Of course that decline proved permanent -- a caution to those of us who favor rebuilding the Sox).
Bob Prince was fired after the 1975 season. The Pirates had just won their 5th division title in 6 years, including a WS in 1971. They had a fearsome lineup and were not perceived in any way to be in decline. Pittsburgh continued to have winning seasons until 1983, except for the strike shortened year of 1981, including another WS win in 1979, piloted by Chuck Tanner. Prince could show a prickly personality and frequently clashed with Westinghouse Broadcasting management, which resulted in his ultimate dismissal. The decision was met with near universal scorn by fans in SW PA. Also Prince unlike Hawk was able to get along with his co announcers despite having that alpha personality. He did very well with both Jim Woods and Nellie King for example. Prince was called upon to announce some Penguin games on TV after leaving the Pirates. He was truly awful as a hockey announcer, calling the puck the ball and being totally unable to keep up with the swift tempo of a hockey game. He worked briefly for the Astros and it didn't work out for him. All of his little Pittsburghisms did not work in Texas. His schtick didn't work out well on Monday Night Baseball either. Prince died in 1985 of cancer. On May 3 of that year, despite the fact that he was weak and dying he announced two innings of a Pirates game in which they managed to score 9 runs, one for each year of his absence. The Pirates lost 104 games that year and were clearly in decline. The late Mayor Richard Caliguiri managed to put together a consortium that bought the team and kept them in Pittsburgh. Jim Leyland came aboard in 1986 and they were big winners again in the early 90's. So there it is. I have no idea where you are coming from.

Last edited by SI1020; 10-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
I remember listening to Harry Caray broadcasting from St Louis when I was in college at UI and being blown away by how good he was. Years later with the Sox he was godawful and impossible to listen to, especially when he droned on and on about what group or family was at the game. I also listened to Prince when I lived in central PA near the end of his career, and he was terrible, constantly moaning about the decline of the Pirates. (Of course that decline proved permanent -- a caution to those of us who favor rebuilding the Sox). In fact Prince sounded a lot like Hawk this year. I have been a big fan of Hawk and won't listen to any other broadcast of a Sox game, but this year he has become a cardboard caricature of himself, and I think his time is up. I like Stone a lot and hope he is the one who stays.
When one achieves Beloved status, it doesn't matter how bad you are. I remember with fondness those family callouts with fractured pronunciations. "The Gingivitis family is here from PEE-otone!" "The Pterodactyl group says hello from Os-WHEE-go!"

Hawk's a tired caricature, you're right. And he hasn't achieved universal Beloved status.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I agree. I listened with an ear toward picking up tension last nite,and it was very apparent that this marriage is over. Hawk would make a comment about miggy and dead silence. Stone only spoke when he had to with action on the field. It was the worst dynamic between two that I have ever heard....its ovah!

I have defended Hawk thru the years,but I am about ready for a change.
Stone is ok,but if this is going to be the atmosphere,something has to give.
What is strange about this is that prior to September I thought Hawk and Stone's chemistry had never been better. Once the Sox started to slide in September though it became tense again as there were long, long, LONG silences by Hawk. He took this September very hard and while every fan did, we aren't being paid by the team to broadcast games.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
In the back of my mind, I still remember the series from Oakland in 2003 when Rooney went over to the tv side and teamed with DJ. Hawk was out for some reason. It was a great series. Unfortunately, I think DJ's been relegated to the goofy sidekick role with Hawk and Farmer for the past 13 years. If he was ever teamed up with a real announcer, he'd probably be able to shine.
I remember DJ being pretty good on Fox broadcasts without Hawk's nonsense dragging him down.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
What is strange about this is that prior to September I thought Hawk and Stone's chemistry had never been better. Once the Sox started to slide in September though it became tense again as there were long, long, LONG silences by Hawk. He took this September very hard and while every fan did, we aren't being paid by the team to broadcast games.
I thought the same thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Anybody catch Stone 's final remark. "...you learn some lessons and one thing you learn is that the clock is ticking and you have to enjoy what you do." If that wasn't a good bye, I don't know what it is.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
WSI Regular

Steve Stones last line form the broadcast....'One of the lessons from this season is that the clock is ticking...You have to enjoy what you do"...

Sounds like a good bye to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Well, if he does leave,i for one,will miss him ..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Anybody catch Stone 's final remark. "...you learn some lessons and one thing you learn is that the clock is ticking and you have to enjoy what you do." If that wasn't a good bye, I don't know what it is.
Yeah, heard that, as well as the somewhat awkward brief silence from Hawk after Stone said that. I suspect you're right.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
WSI Guru

From Gonzo's postgame notes tonight: "Sox television announcer Steve Stone, who is in the midst of a multi-year contract, is expected to receive interest from other media outlets but would need permission to get out of his current pact."

Lip
Closed Thread