White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
WSI Guru

Default Kenny Speaks

This is unfortunately one of those "bull**** registration" only columns but it's worth your time to do so.

Kenny spoke with David Haugh tonight in Cleveland about a lot of things and areas, among them:

He does NOT consider the 2012 season a "success" because the Sox exceeded expectations. Says the only thing he feels now is "disappointment."

On the notion the Sox "choked", "Sometimes things happen and you just have to wear it. We had it right in the palm of our hands."

On the awful hittng the last two weeks, " I just think they were trying to do too much in those situations. They wanted it too badly and couldn't relax.''

On the issue of "did Ventura overmanage after September 1st?" "It's a fair question, but the answer is absolutely not.If we didn't use (September call-ups), this thing would have been over a long time ago. By the way, the guys he was using were pretty good.''

Williams was asked to explain the Sox dismal September record of 88-104 since winning the World Series. "What's different about this September from some of the past years, I think it's best I stay away from, but it doesn't have anything to do with the players' or coaching staff's efforts, we're going to study it.'' (My gut is telling me Kenny wanted to rip the fan base but dared not to. Think about it, 'it's not the players or coaches efforts' and 'we're going to study it,' which is what most fans think the organzation is going to do this off season with regard to the attendance situation. What else could it be? Could he possibly be hinting at his discontent with say, the way Brooks is marketing or the cost of tickets???))

Players according to Kenny did come to him this season to ask about the attendance issues. "Now the primary focus is on enhancing the fan experience and looking not at our fans as to why they didn't come out as we anticipated, but at ourselves first,'' Williams said. "It's a mistake to have great expectations of how people spend their discretionary income with all the economic uncertainties. What can we do creatively to enhance the experience, more than just the baseball team, so that once again we can be aggressive with our projections and, as a result, payroll?''

Kenny was asked about the reports he might be moving upstairs and said he'll talk with JR in the future but nothing about his future has been decided and according to Haugh, "Kenny has been approached about jobs outside of baseball."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...5533563.column

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 10-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
WSI Guru

Just heard from an individual whom I respect a lot in the business who said reading the piece they thought Kenny's comment about "differences this September as compared to past years" could be a shot at Ozzie.

I never thought of that and it does makes some sense althought that doesn't explain his comment than about having to "study it." Ozzie's gone, what is there to study?

Still it could very well be something about Ozzie quitting on the team last year (although that doesn't begin to touch on 2003, 2006, 2009, 2010 does it?)

Lip
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 AM
WSI Personality

the Sox have consistently not been able to beat the teams in their division they need to beat. Having crappy records against KC and Detroit is what ultimately cost them the division.. and more directly, hitters that are paid to hit...did not hit, and failed in crucial situations.

The Sox have lived and died by the Homerun for quite a while, and to me, that's a trademark of the Kenny Williams regime.. and the downfall of the team, 2009-2012.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
WSI Regular

In contemplating what happened in the pressure cooker of September, and all the talk about the team pressing too much etc.... I am reminded of the minor controversy last winter, when AJ mentioned that in the past a few sips of "rally beer" had been consumed late in extra inning games on occasion.

There had been some kerfluffle about beer in the dugout among the Red Sox, and other MLB chimed in with their experience. There was a bit of tut-tutting about beers in during games, and many teams vowed to stop the practice.

It would truly be a shame if the '12 White Sox got all tense and lost first place because they could not quaff a rally beer this year as in the past, like '05.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
In contemplating what happened in the pressure cooker of September, and all the talk about the team pressing too much etc.... I am reminded of the minor controversy last winter, when AJ mentioned that in the past a few sips of "rally beer" had been consumed late in extra inning games on occasion.

There had been some kerfluffle about beer in the dugout among the Red Sox, and other MLB chimed in with their experience. There was a bit of tut-tutting about beers in during games, and many teams vowed to stop the practice.

It would truly be a shame if the '12 White Sox got all tense and lost first place because they could not quaff a rally beer this year as in the past, like '05.

Ah, you left an opening for Kenny to blame Carrie Nation and those damn "Dry Lips"..

BK59
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
the Sox have consistently not been able to beat the teams in their division they need to beat. Having crappy records against KC and Detroit is what ultimately cost them the division.. and more directly, hitters that are paid to hit...did not hit, and failed in crucial situations.

The Sox have lived and died by the Homerun for quite a while, and to me, that's a trademark of the Kenny Williams regime.. and the downfall of the team, 2009-2012.
It's a trademark of the ballpark they play in, the Sox have a HR mentality because USCF is a Homer paradise. Look at TCM and Gordo, middle infielders constantly swinging for the fences instead of working the count.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Haugh was just on the Score, and between M&H and him they all agreed the the comments relating to September's record was directed moreso at Ozzie in that the team was burned out from the BS at the manager level. This season, they pressed too much.

Haugh also commented that KW took careful steps to not blame the fans for not coming out to support the team - the experience at the park needed to be improved.

If KW is president next year, maybe he can help with killing dynamic pricing!

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadPaleHoser View Post
Haugh was just on the Score, and between M&H and him they all agreed the the comments relating to September's record was directed moreso at Ozzie in that the team was burned out from the BS at the manager level. This season, they pressed too much.

Haugh also commented that KW took careful steps to not blame the fans for not coming out to support the team - the experience at the park needed to be improved.

If KW is president next year, maybe he can help with killing dynamic pricing!
How can they improve the "ballpark experience" and "selling the games?" I'm not understanding what exactly people are suggesting here.

If we're talking about more "in-game entertainment," then you can count me out. White Sox games are plenty enjoyable. There's plenty to do. If we're just talking about different marketing strategies, that's one thing. But changing the actual content of how one experiences a game when they get to the park? I don't get it.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post

I read somewhere that the Sox were under .500 against teams not named the Twins and Mariners. That's kind of eye opening IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I read somewhere that the Sox were under .500 against teams not named the Twins and Mariners. That's kind of eye opening IMO.
It's actually not really because it's mostly fueled by the terrible season they had against the Royals and Tigers. I'm sure almost any team would be at or near .500 if you just picked out and cast away the two teams they performed best against.

Take away the Sox and Royals and the Tigers are just a .500 team. So eye opening!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
WSI Personality

Default Kw

I agree with KW. When you're up by 3 games with two weeks to go and you don't get into the playoffs it has to be a disappointment. I don't know how you can call it a successful season if you don't get into the playoffs. Being in first place most of the summer than tanking at the end can't possibly be a success. One last thing about the attendance, the White Sox drew more people in 2012 than what they did in 2000 when they won their division.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

If Kenny was taking a shot as Ozzie, we need to stop talking about him and move on. Of course he's not going to admit any failures with coaching either. His starters had nothing left in the tank and Robin was left with, "What do I do now?"
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadPaleHoser View Post
What a joke. New manager, worse September result, but it was still Ozzie's fault last year? And the BS was at the manager/GM level, so the GM would get (at least) half the blame.

Logic would suggest that if you change the manager and things don't change (or get worse), you should look elsewhere for the cause. And if the same thing happens every year it really doesn't make sense to conclude that there is a different cause in one of those years just because it feeds an obsession.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Players according to Kenny did come to him this season to ask about the attendance issues. "Now the primary focus is on enhancing the fan experience and looking not at our fans as to why they didn't come out as we anticipated, but at ourselves first,'' Williams said. "It's a mistake to have great expectations of how people spend their discretionary income with all the economic uncertainties. What can we do creatively to enhance the experience, more than just the baseball team, so that once again we can be aggressive with our projections and, as a result, payroll?''
Hm... I'll believe it when I see it. I applaud the notion that they're finally looking at themselves in the mirror rather than blaming the fans, but I just don't have a ton of fair in our marketing department (and organization as a whole) to figure this whole thing out.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Just heard from an individual whom I respect a lot in the business who said reading the piece they thought Kenny's comment about "differences this September as compared to past years" could be a shot at Ozzie.
That was my first thought but it really doesn't make any sense .. the fans not showing up does i think ..