White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,562
Default

At least they have a bright future.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,922
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Speaking of collapses...stunning, really.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 AM
ComiskeyBrewer ComiskeyBrewer is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sconsin
Posts: 1,725
Default

Have to feel for the Pittsburgh fans. With a 2nd straight 2nd half collapse, will the fans come out next year, even if the team plays well in the 1st half of the year?

Also, McCutchen obviously has had a breakout year(his OPS is currently .123 points above his previous career high), but will this be the outlier in his career, or will this be the new norm?
__________________
Brewers Season Ticket Holder since 2007

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 AM
34rancher 34rancher is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We could have had a park like Camden Yards and PNC Park but JR and Co. nixed it, instead we got 2 tiers of suites and a club level section that gave us the steepest upper deck in MLB. Comiskey II was just about the most sterile park ever built, operating rooms should be so sterile. At least JR saw the error of his ways and came up with a park that has a little more character but still no PNC Park.

As far as the Bucs go, I thought that this was the year that they would break that horrible streak.
Sorry, but that is false. He upper deck was not the steepest at that time and in fact was not even in the top 10. At that time Kauffman was the steepest. And Yankee stadium (original) was too. It was the steepest in Chicago at that time so people complained. Now it's number three with soldier field and the UC steeper. That was a myth by the tribune.
__________________
I named my bulldog DH because he's lazy.
-Ozzie
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
Have to feel for the Pittsburgh fans. With a 2nd straight 2nd half collapse, will the fans come out next year, even if the team plays well in the 1st half of the year?
Agreed. That a team near the tope of standings near midseason can plunge below .500 is bad enogh, but to do it two years in a row is mind boggling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM
SOXSINCE'70 SOXSINCE'70 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: DEERFIELD
Posts: 4,999
Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Too bad. I was hoping that they'd finally have a winning season this year.
Having a record of 82-80 makes this a plus.500 season for the Bucs.
It's not much,but it's something.

Yes,it is difficult for both Pirate fans AND White Sox fans to swallow.
But,up until the last few weeks,this was a season to remember.

How quickly it turned into one i'd like to forget.
__________________
White Sox baseball - JUST WIN,BABY!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Having a record of 82-80 makes this a plus.500 season for the Bucs.
It's not much,but it's something.


Yes,it is difficult for both Pirate fans AND White Sox fans to swallow.
But,up until the last few weeks,this was a season to remember.

How quickly it turned into one i'd like to forget.
I thought they clinched finishing below .500 with their 82nd loss?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Agreed. That a team near the tope of standings near midseason can plunge below .500 is bad enogh, but to do it two years in a row is mind boggling.

...and I wasn't even involved in those 2nd half collapses!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
downstairs downstairs is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 4,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Having a record of 82-80 makes this a plus.500 season for the Bucs.
It's not much,but it's something.

Yes,it is difficult for both Pirate fans AND White Sox fans to swallow.
But,up until the last few weeks,this was a season to remember.

How quickly it turned into one i'd like to forget.
You mis-read my original post. Or maybe using the term "clinch" I made it confusing.

They lost their 82nd the night before I posted this. Meaning they "clinched" a losing season.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
PatK PatK is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago/Highland, IN
Posts: 2,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We could have had a park like Camden Yards and PNC Park but JR and Co. nixed it, instead we got 2 tiers of suites and a club level section that gave us the steepest upper deck in MLB. Comiskey II was just about the most sterile park ever built, operating rooms should be so sterile. At least JR saw the error of his ways and came up with a park that has a little more character but still no PNC Park.

As far as the Bucs go, I thought that this was the year that they would break that horrible streak.
From what I remember, people wanted a state of the art "modern" facility. And that's what they got. The trend in stadium building at that time (not just MLB) was to have as modern of a looking place as possible.

It wasn't until Camden Yards opened that people realized that you could still have the look of an old school park with all of the modern amenities.

And then the crapping of New Comiskey began
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
From what I remember, people wanted a state of the art "modern" facility. And that's what they got. The trend in stadium building at that time (not just MLB) was to have as modern of a looking place as possible.

It wasn't until Camden Yards opened that people realized that you could still have the look of an old school park with all of the modern amenities.

And then the crapping of New Comiskey began
Which was one year after Comiskey opened. In Richard Roeper's book "Sox and the City" he quoted the Tribune's Architecture Critic who even said that as soon as Camden Yards opened up in 1992 New Comiskey would be considered obsolete.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
PatK PatK is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago/Highland, IN
Posts: 2,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Which was one year after Comiskey opened. In Richard Roeper's book "Sox and the City" he quoted the Tribune's Architecture Critic who even said that as soon as Camden Yards opened up in 1992 New Comiskey would be considered obsolete.
I'm not disputing anything, it's just that when it first opened, i don't recall anyone saying anything about it being bland and sterile.

That didn't happen until the "retro" parks opened the next few seasons (Camden Yards and Jacob's Field)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
I'm not disputing anything, it's just that when it first opened, i don't recall anyone saying anything about it being bland and sterile.

That didn't happen until the "retro" parks opened the next few seasons (Camden Yards and Jacob's Field)
I can tell you that for years many fans complained about the sterility of the generic footbowl stadiums like those in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis. Baseball was more than ready for the retro park and Sox management as usual blew it. It takes years from conception, to ground breaking to completion. The Orioles were ready and the Sox weren't.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,880
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
From what I remthe art "modern" facility.ember, people wanted a state of And that's what they got. The trend in stadium building at that time (not just MLB) was to have as modern of a looking place as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post

It wasn't until Camden Yards opened that people realized that you could still have the look of an old school park with all of the modern amenities.

And then the crapping of New Comiskey began
What people? I will bet that if you took a poll at the time that most Sox fans would have preferred some kind of renovation of old Comiskey instead of a new park. I'll never forget going to a game at the old park in early 1990 and the new park's shell was up on 35th street and I could not believe what I saw, the new park was twice as high as old Comiskey, I scratched my head thinking what is this place going to look like when its done.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
[B][I]

What people? I will bet that if you took a poll at the time that most Sox fans would have preferred some kind of renovation of old Comiskey instead of a new park. I'll never forget going to a game at the old park in early 1990 and the new park's shell was up on 35th street and I could not believe what I saw, the new park was twice as high as old Comiskey, I scratched my head thinking what is this place going to look like when its done.
It would have taken massive renovation. I remember being in seats where I had to sit scrunched in turned partly sideways because my knees wouldn't fit behind the seat in front of me, and I'm not freakishly tall, just 6'3", I remember being behind pillars that blocked my view of essential parts of the field. I remember being back under the upper deck far enough that my view of the scoreboard was blocked. The food areas were dark, damp, and smelly. Left field was a swamp after heavy rains.

They had no place to play during a renovation; it wasn't like New York, where Shea was publicly-owned and the Yankees didn't have to have the permission of the Mets to play there while Yankee Stadium was renovated. The Cubs said "no" to the Sox playing at Wrigley during any renovation. Should they have gone to Thillens Stadium? Soldier Field?
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.