White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
WSI Prelate

At least they have a bright future.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Speaking of collapses...stunning, really.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Have to feel for the Pittsburgh fans. With a 2nd straight 2nd half collapse, will the fans come out next year, even if the team plays well in the 1st half of the year?

Also, McCutchen obviously has had a breakout year(his OPS is currently .123 points above his previous career high), but will this be the outlier in his career, or will this be the new norm?

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We could have had a park like Camden Yards and PNC Park but JR and Co. nixed it, instead we got 2 tiers of suites and a club level section that gave us the steepest upper deck in MLB. Comiskey II was just about the most sterile park ever built, operating rooms should be so sterile. At least JR saw the error of his ways and came up with a park that has a little more character but still no PNC Park.

As far as the Bucs go, I thought that this was the year that they would break that horrible streak.
Sorry, but that is false. He upper deck was not the steepest at that time and in fact was not even in the top 10. At that time Kauffman was the steepest. And Yankee stadium (original) was too. It was the steepest in Chicago at that time so people complained. Now it's number three with soldier field and the UC steeper. That was a myth by the tribune.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
Have to feel for the Pittsburgh fans. With a 2nd straight 2nd half collapse, will the fans come out next year, even if the team plays well in the 1st half of the year?
Agreed. That a team near the tope of standings near midseason can plunge below .500 is bad enogh, but to do it two years in a row is mind boggling.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Too bad. I was hoping that they'd finally have a winning season this year.
Having a record of 82-80 makes this a plus.500 season for the Bucs.
It's not much,but it's something.

Yes,it is difficult for both Pirate fans AND White Sox fans to swallow.
But,up until the last few weeks,this was a season to remember.

How quickly it turned into one i'd like to forget.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post

I thought they clinched finishing below .500 with their 82nd loss?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Agreed. That a team near the tope of standings near midseason can plunge below .500 is bad enogh, but to do it two years in a row is mind boggling.

...and I wasn't even involved in those 2nd half collapses!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post

You mis-read my original post. Or maybe using the term "clinch" I made it confusing.

They lost their 82nd the night before I posted this. Meaning they "clinched" a losing season.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
We could have had a park like Camden Yards and PNC Park but JR and Co. nixed it, instead we got 2 tiers of suites and a club level section that gave us the steepest upper deck in MLB. Comiskey II was just about the most sterile park ever built, operating rooms should be so sterile. At least JR saw the error of his ways and came up with a park that has a little more character but still no PNC Park.

As far as the Bucs go, I thought that this was the year that they would break that horrible streak.
From what I remember, people wanted a state of the art "modern" facility. And that's what they got. The trend in stadium building at that time (not just MLB) was to have as modern of a looking place as possible.

It wasn't until Camden Yards opened that people realized that you could still have the look of an old school park with all of the modern amenities.

And then the crapping of New Comiskey began
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
From what I remember, people wanted a state of the art "modern" facility. And that's what they got. The trend in stadium building at that time (not just MLB) was to have as modern of a looking place as possible.

It wasn't until Camden Yards opened that people realized that you could still have the look of an old school park with all of the modern amenities.

Which was one year after Comiskey opened. In Richard Roeper's book "Sox and the City" he quoted the Tribune's Architecture Critic who even said that as soon as Camden Yards opened up in 1992 New Comiskey would be considered obsolete.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Which was one year after Comiskey opened. In Richard Roeper's book "Sox and the City" he quoted the Tribune's Architecture Critic who even said that as soon as Camden Yards opened up in 1992 New Comiskey would be considered obsolete.
I'm not disputing anything, it's just that when it first opened, i don't recall anyone saying anything about it being bland and sterile.

That didn't happen until the "retro" parks opened the next few seasons (Camden Yards and Jacob's Field)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm not disputing anything, it's just that when it first opened, i don't recall anyone saying anything about it being bland and sterile.

That didn't happen until the "retro" parks opened the next few seasons (Camden Yards and Jacob's Field)
I can tell you that for years many fans complained about the sterility of the generic footbowl stadiums like those in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis. Baseball was more than ready for the retro park and Sox management as usual blew it. It takes years from conception, to ground breaking to completion. The Orioles were ready and the Sox weren't.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
From what I remthe art "modern" facility.ember, people wanted a state of And that's what they got. The trend in stadium building at that time (not just MLB) was to have as modern of a looking place as possible.
Quote:

What people? I will bet that if you took a poll at the time that most Sox fans would have preferred some kind of renovation of old Comiskey instead of a new park. I'll never forget going to a game at the old park in early 1990 and the new park's shell was up on 35th street and I could not believe what I saw, the new park was twice as high as old Comiskey, I scratched my head thinking what is this place going to look like when its done.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
[B][I]

What people? I will bet that if you took a poll at the time that most Sox fans would have preferred some kind of renovation of old Comiskey instead of a new park. I'll never forget going to a game at the old park in early 1990 and the new park's shell was up on 35th street and I could not believe what I saw, the new park was twice as high as old Comiskey, I scratched my head thinking what is this place going to look like when its done.
It would have taken massive renovation. I remember being in seats where I had to sit scrunched in turned partly sideways because my knees wouldn't fit behind the seat in front of me, and I'm not freakishly tall, just 6'3", I remember being behind pillars that blocked my view of essential parts of the field. I remember being back under the upper deck far enough that my view of the scoreboard was blocked. The food areas were dark, damp, and smelly. Left field was a swamp after heavy rains.

They had no place to play during a renovation; it wasn't like New York, where Shea was publicly-owned and the Yankees didn't have to have the permission of the Mets to play there while Yankee Stadium was renovated. The Cubs said "no" to the Sox playing at Wrigley during any renovation. Should they have gone to Thillens Stadium? Soldier Field?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)